Favorite season of American Horror Story

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by vampyr789, Nov 26, 2013.

?

Favorite season of AHS?

1. Murder House

48.3%
  2. Asylum

20.7%
  3. Coven

31.0%
  1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, another mediocre season finale. The opening, with the Fleetwood Mac song was the best part of the episode. I wish they had not had the Stevie Nicks appearance a few weeks ago and just done this "music video". One of the best moments of the entire season.

Too bad it just went downhill from there. The first half of the episode was like a season finale of a reality competition show (and once again, someone dies but doesn't stay dead). Second half was mostly the Cordelia/Fiona scene, which seemed to take FOREVER. And then the upbeat ending. I'd really like one of these seasons to end super dark. Like, I dunno, a HORROR movie.

2. Do you see

Do you see Member

Ho-hum. An alright ending, but as mentioned above something darker might have been nice. So now that S3 is over I can vote. I basically rate the seasons in order 1-3, so S1 it is. Still looking forward to S4 with what’s been teased so far.

3. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

After really enjoying season one of AHS, I finally finished season two. Ouch. On three different occasions I started watching the premiere episode and failed to reach the end. The derivative setting and situations just didn't do anything for me. I finally pushed through and watched all of it over a few days. I wish I could say it grew on me. But it never did. The only thing that drove me on was guilt over the $20 I spent for the Blu-ray set. Thanks, Catholicism!

I thought Murder House did a nice job of subverting genre expectations and putting an original spin on potentially sleepy material. There were lots of shout-outs to classic horrors, but they worked as homages because they were frequently clever and enjoyable on their own merit. The likability of the main characters was a big plus, too. Murder House wasn't just a mindless gross-out. It told an actual story with relatable characters.

Unfortunately, I didn't find any of these elements in Asylum. I disliked all of the characters and didn't give a damn about any of them. It was particularly depressing to see Lange and Evan Peters in roles that weren't nearly as compelling as their parts in Murder House. Combine that with the moldy, over-exposed setting and I was bored out of my mind. I definitely appreciate the show's willingness to commit to hardcore horror elements. But, to me, it all felt like an uninspired, cobbled-together, soulless geek show devoid of actual inspiration. Lily Rabe's arc was interesting and fun, which surprised me because I thought she was one of the lesser elements in season one. But, aside from her scenes, Asylum really gave off a tired, recycled vibe.

Did the show improve in later seasons? I can't imagine exploring it any further unless you guys do some serious raving. Are any of the later seasons more character-driven?

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

My favorite of the 5 seasons so far is the most recent one, Hotel, if that counts for anything. I thought the quality remained consistent the whole season, something that definitely didn't happen in 3 and 4. Those seasons started out great but went out with a whimper.

The sex is ramped up quite a bit in Hotel, and Lady Gaga was a pleasant surprise for me.

5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Paff! I might give Hotel a try at some point. I appreciate your input.

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I had the most fun with Coven. Really enjoyed the characters that season and enjoyed the witchcraft angle.

The worst season was Hotel which was so so to me. Didn't really like Lady Gaga much here and wasn't impressed by her acting. This season felt like it overstayed it's welcome and I found it much more dull character wise.

MisterTwister likes this.
  7. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Lmao I swear you're the bizarro version of me.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  8. Zombie Dude

That's actually pretty funny :p

MisterTwister likes this.
  9. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

It is. Despite our differing opinions I find you to be a joy to talk to.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. Zombie Dude

Haha, thanks man!

11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I think I may have posted this on another thread but Freak Show is my favorite season so far. Sarah Paulson was incredible as the twins. That performance alone was so innovative and quite an achievement to pull off.

I rewatched Asylum and liked it way better on second viewing. I actually balled at the end
    (sister Jude rescue)
    it was that good.

But I'll stick with Freak Show as my pick.

Zombie Dude likes this.