Favorite Troma Entertainment Film

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by vampyr789, Aug 1, 2008.

?

Favorite Troma Entertainment Film

1. Graduation Day

5.4%
  2. The Toxic Avenger

45.9%
  3. Christmas Evil

2.7%
  4. Poultrygeist

2.7%
  5. Class of Nuke 'Em High

8.1%
  6. Cannibal! The Musical

5.4%
  7. Mother's Day

13.5%
  8. Tromeo and Juliet

5.4%
  9. Terror Firmer

2.7%
  10. Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

2.7%
  11. Other

5.4%
  1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Yup. I fucking love Surf Nazis Must Die! I have the Media VHS (and the Troma DVD), and on the VHS tape label it says there is a Surf Nazis Must Die sweatshirt offer after the movie, but there fucking isn't! I've always wanted one of those sweatshirts, dammit.

2. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Toxic Avenger. Fun horror/comedy/revenge/superhero trash. The lame sequels never come close to the greatness of the original. The original Nuke 'EM High and Mother's Day are hard to beat. I also love Combat Shock, but that's not really Troma.

3. rhett

rhett Administrator

THE STENDHAL SYNDROME. :D

In seriousness I'll throw one NUKE'EM's way.

4. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Thanks,though they issued those.Is there a widescreen of either of those films on disc anywhere ?

Might be imagining this but I thought I saw a sweatshirt in a catalog recently with the SURF NAZIS poster art on it.If I see it again I'll let you know.

5. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I have always wanted to see Surf Nazis Must Die but for some reason... I haven't.

6. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

I picked Mother's Day. I think it was all downhill from there.

7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Now that I've seen this film (recently too), I can safely say that statement is absurd. Complete, stupid and pointless, rip-off of The Last House on the Left. It had a lot of time to find a reason to exist. Especially since the first scene takes place in some kind of public Anonymous (drinkers? Overeaters? Sex addicts?) meeting. Its inability to have any kind of idea in its head made it insulting. The characters and acting were bland to the point of making me roll my eyes.

I think Troma's clear crown jewel, not that they know it (anymore) (they used to be very proud of this film), is Dead Dudes in the House. I guess everyone is jaded by it when they see it today but it still scares the everloving shit out of me. And... I think I've been pretty vocal about how nothing does that to me. That I think it's just impossible to be scared by any film anymore. But... this one does it to me.

It's the rarest of horror films. It's cliched. It uses the same tropes as any number of horror films. It could be accused of ripping off Evil Dead big time (along with Halloween, The Shining, and Fulci). But... it doesn't play like any other horror film. It doesn't feel like any other horror film. It's trying to do a literally-American adaptation of Lucio Fulci's unbelievably over-the-top death scenes where you just closeup on limbs being torn apart and all varieties of that (eyeballs, throats, etc). Well... in America, in the 80's, the code of the low budget horror film is to kind of just show the victim quickly falling down dead after a quick Jason Voorhees ax-to-the-head. Dead Dudes in the House has more than one or two moments where you actually feel like a real person is being tortured to death. The screams, the terror, the fear feels completely real. Especially during the palm/ankle impalement scene. I've never seen another slasher where you watched a person being killed for minutes at a time and they just keep whimpering and screaming and freaking out like this. I mean, again: that's what Fucli did. But his films felt schlocky. His death scenes were sometimes grossly unpleasant (the fire poker scene in House by the Cemetery) but with the dubbed screaming and the closeups with sloppy editing, it didn't feel realistic. Plus you have these deaths taking place in a film where you know there is no escape. The film gets tighter and tighter, showing the characters relentlessly banging on doors and windows for nearly the first half of the film solid to find a way out.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016