Favourite Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes movie

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Jul 23, 2007.

?

Favourite classic Sherlock Holmes

1. The Hound Of The Baskervilles

58.3%
  2. Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes

16.7%
  3. Sherlock Holmes And The Voice Of Terror

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sherlock Holmes And The Secret Weapon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sherlock Holmes In Washington

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Sherlock Holmes Faces Death

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. The Spider Woman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The Scarlet Claw

16.7%
  9. The Pearl Of Death

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. The House Of Fear

8.3%
  11. The Woman In Green

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Pursuit To Algiers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Terror By Night

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Dressed To Kill

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I have to admit I've only see The Hound Of The Baskervilles and House of Fear but loved them both and i'm thinking about purchasing The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection. For fans out there what's your favourite?

2. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Those are two of the best films. But if you liked them, I think you'd enjoy the rest of the series as well. As far as recommendations, the Scarlet Claw is a personal favorite of mine and you also can't go wrong with The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

This is probably sacrilege to some since the two Fox entries are so strong. But I prefer the atmosphere of the Universal films. They recycle a lot of the same music from their horror cycle and it works tremendously well. Most of them feature the same moody, foggy atmosphere as well.

The middle 4 Universal films are tough to beat. Great entertainment. The WWII propaganda element isn't so prevalent. It's pretty thick in the first 4 Universal flicks.

If you enjoy the literary Holmes I highly recommend Granada's series with Jeremy Brett as well.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Forget the "best" and "worst" - they'll all absolutely brilliant. Time lines shift a bit - when the series opens in earnest, it's set in the World War, with the main enemies being thoe nasty Nazis. But it soon settles back into older times, and all of them have a wonderful groove.

I understand the literary aspirations of the Granada series, I really do. However, when I want a Homes fix it's Rathbone or Cushing for me. Out of those two, Rathbone all the way.

Just buy them all.

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Have only seen four of these, but enjoyed Hound of the Baskervilles the most. I really love Hammer's version of the film with Peter Cushing as Holmes.

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

The Hammer film was ace. Don't forget Cushing also made some Holmes shows for British TV back in the day - they're out on DVD too (three DVD's as I recall).

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Didn't realize those were on dvd. Thanks for the tip! Will add these to my ever growing wish list.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I just got finished watching all of these, having previously only seen The Hound of the Baskervilles from the Rathbone era.

All of the 14 films are surprisingly superb and hold up well even today. UCLA/MPI did a great job with the restorations on the Blu-ray set. I always avoided the public domain "cheapie" DVD sets, which I assume look crappy, but you can now get the Blu-ray set for under $40 on Amazon. For a 6-year-old Blu-ray release, the quality and specs are excellent.

8. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

It's been years since I saw all of them but THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES stands out in my mind.Rathbone was a great actor (wonderful in swashbuckler pictures as well).I really should get that Blu Ray set.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

With the new season of Sherlock I've been itching to watch these again, and with it being such a disappointing season to boot that's all the more reason to. Pearl of Death was on recently, shortly after Svengoolie showed House of Horrors; both featuring Rondo Hatton. (Which meant it was fresh in my mind for Sherlock's The Six Thatchers.)

That said, like most it's been a LONG time, but a single Watson gag has always stood out in my mind as one of my favorite moments and, checking IMDB/Wiki plots, I believe that to have been in The House of Fear from 1945. And, based on an old slug review I once wrote of it, that confirms it to be, if not thee best of the best, it's at the top of the pile:
    I've never like-liked Hound of the Baskervilles, of which I watched the final Act again not that long ago when I saw it surfing the TV. The biggest problem is that Holmes is off screen through a bulk of the movie. Sure you can create some suspense that way, but we're all here to see Basil Rathbone damn it! So overall it feels like a gip. It's a problem any half way accurate adaptation runs into. Be it the Hammer adaptation or even the Cushing TV adaptation.

Reading my other quick reviews most are mediocre but fun, making The House of Fear stands out in more ways than one. So that would be my vote at the moment.

10. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Had to go with The Hound of the Baskervilles. Great film.

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's definitely worth it, the Blu-rays look great. They didn't have the original film negatives available for the restorations on all of the movies, so the quality varies a little on some, but they all look great considering the age of the films.