FEAR.NET--VOD horror!

Discussion in 'General' started by allmessedup, Nov 2, 2006.

1. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Comcast has started something called Fear.Net as part of their On Demand service. Not realy that many movies available, maybe 10-15 and some are pretty bad, but they have some classics too [CARRIE, NOTLD, DRESSED TO KILL...], and some stuff that is hard to find like PARASITE [1982] and best of all, the uncut SWAMP THING, all nudity intact!

Only bad part consists of very annoying and distracting bugs/ads, sometimes taking up a third of the screen.

Also noticed that Sundance Channel has a few Asian horror titles On Demand also, such as SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE and MAREBITO. Why they didn't have it for Halloween I have no idea, but it's here now.

Something Weird Video has a lot of stuff too. We may not ever see a real horror channel, but maybe the Video-on-Demand technology will provide an alternative.

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I almost watched some Fear.net shit last night, in fact we started watching NOTLD (which is the 90 Savini version BTW) but turned it off before any popups came up. That kinda sucks they have those and the selection was kinda underwhelming, but more horror is always good.
    Nice to hear Swamp Thing is uncut, although I don't think I could bear to sit through that again. I might go FF to the nude scenes though.:)

3. Does this mean a possible re-release of Swamp Thing with all the nudity intact? That'd be sweet! Sorry to hear about the bugs/ads! I have Comcast myself and while this is a great thing to have(The new service), they should also whip out some more rarities like Without Warning, The Town That Dreaded Sundown and Madhouse(Ovidio G. Assonitis) provided they get rid of the bugs/ads!

4. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Barbeau boobies! I'm a fan.

5. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

i was just about to start a thread about this. I watched all of the notld remake the other night and the ads only last for a few seconds and they arent that frequent. I am hoping they add new movies to the list each week so in a a month we may have over 50 titles. Also for those with HD tv's Carrie and Dracula are in HD, pretty sweet.

6. allmessedup

If it's anything like the other On Demand stuff, the updates won't be that frequent unfortunately, probably new stuff every month or so.

I got confused about the NOTLD--actually both versions are available, but only the remake is listed under the FearNet section. The original is there under their Free Movies section.

7. allmessedup

I forgot to mention, I'd totally forgotten that David Hess was in SWAMP THING. So is Nicholas Worth! Funny to see two of the best psycho actors of the 70s and 80s together in a comic book adaptation.

8. jefff

jefff Guest

i tried to find the fear net section in the on demand screen, but couldnt. where is it located? thanks.

9. allmessedup

It's under Free Movies. It also has its own channel [on my system it's in the upper channel area, like in the 100-200s] that will take you right to its On Demand area if you click on it.

It may also just not be in all areas....I was really glad to see that we had it, because my city doesn't get a lot of stuff.

10. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan Member

I actually got an account over at FEARnet and there is a lot of excitement and activity in the forums BUT it is the worse forum design ever and after spending a couple of days posting there ... I think I am done with that ... unless they really fix the forum to be more functional.

I watched the HD version of BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA and the quality was sweet and the aspect ratio was correct (although hard to screw it up as it isn't 2.35:1) so I was happy with that but ...

I started watching POLTERGEIST II and was not HD but hey that's OK with me and it was WIDESCREEN at 2.35:1 but in a 4:3 box ... I have a 16x9 WS TV ... but I can deal with that as well.

What I can't deal with is that after the opening credits ended the movie went to Full Screen Pan&Scan. I stopped watching it.

I refuse to watch a Pan&Scan Full Screen print of a movie that is readily available on DVD etc. in a proper WIDESCREEN version.

In the SUGGESTIONS area of the FEARnet forums I mentioned all this and insisted that movies be shown UNCUT (which seems to be what they are doing i.e., not censored TV prints) but also WIDESCREEN when appropriate ... I didn't seem to get much support from anyone else.

I also suggested that they try and do as much HD as possible which would make it a viable alternative to something like MONSTERS HD which as I understand it is a satellite TV only thing (i.e., not available on cable TV).

It's a great idea but if they can't do it correct (i.e., UNCUT, WIDESCREEN and HD whenever possible) then I could care less.

Free or not I ain't watching a WIDESCREEN movie in a Pan&Scan Full Screen version. End of story.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

11. soxfan666

the movies do seem to be uncut because all nudity was intact for the hd Carrie, but i did notice that the NOTLD remake had the "This movie has been modified to fit this screen" at the beginning.

12. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Pan & Scan is almost as bad as being cut IMO.
    Esp. those movies that have the opening credits in 2.35, that's the biggest sign that the movie is supoosed to be 2.35 and you will miss 45% or so of it (movies shot super-35 will usually have the credits FS as they just open the mattes up as needed). They have to do that so all the credits can be read, but it really is just a big fucking tease.

13. soxfan666

After dark horror fest (Gravedancers etc...) is being shown on Fearnet this month and in HD.

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I agree. I absolutely hate viewing pan & scan versions of films. And some people actually prefer these! :rolleyes:

15. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan Member

I watched WICKED LITTLE THINGS in HDTV and it was an OK movie. I plan to watch more of the AFTER DARK FILMS assuming they are still there ... haven't looked in a week or so now.

I still wish they would do more stuff in HDTV format.

16. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I signed up for ON DEMAND because it's relatively cheap for the first 6 months. Lo and behold: Fear.Net! Sweet! I watched half of Children of the Night on Saturday, will finish it up tonight. The selections are hilarious and some are even in HD!

Seems like a cheesy blast.

17. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

You had to sign up for it? Mine's included when you have a cable box. But yeah, they've played a bunch of rarities that don't have DVD releases. You gotta love that.

18. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

No shit? What package do you have, can I ask? Because after 6 months, I am going to downgrade to a more reasonably priced package and if I still get Fear.Net...wow, I'd be pretty happy.

19. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I hate how they advertise by taking up the lower half of the screen during a film playing and now, they actually break in the middle of a movie for advertising. Believe me I'm glad that Comcast has a horror channel at all and I know they have to make money, but that is really annoying.

20. philxus

philxus New Member

...:banana: :banana: :banana:

Attached Files: