Fear Street - NetFlix

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Jan 12, 2021.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

FEAR STREET.png

NetFlix has premiered the first footage from their upcoming Fear Street movies, based on the '90s R.L. Stine book series, which will be hitting the service summer 2021.

You can spot two brief shots around the 1:40 mark:

Three movies were made, originally intended for theatrical release from 20th Century Fox. Due to COVID-19, they ended up selling the movies to NetFlix, which they will premiere this summer with one movie per month. They were filmed in summer 2019 in the Atlanta area, including at the same camp from Friday The 13th: Jason Lives and Little Darlings.

Synopsis for the three movies:

Movie 1: In 1994, in the aftermath of a brutal tragedy in Shadyside, Ohio, a group of teens discover that a series of horrifying events that have plagued their town over many years might not be random, and that they may be the next victims.

Movie 2: In 1978, Camp Nightwing is divided by the campers and counselors who hail from the of prosperous town of Sunnyvale and the campers and maintenance staffers from the downtrodden town of Shadyside, but when horrors from their towns shared history come alive, they must band together to solve a terrifying mystery before it’s too late.

Movie 3: In 1666, a colonial town is gripped by a hysterical witch-hunt that has deadly consequences for centuries to come, and it’s up to teenagers in 1994 to try and finally put an end to their town’s curse, before it’s too late.

baggio likes this.
  2. Spacevis

Spacevis Well-Known Member

This Netflix preview hurts my brain :( Looking forward to the films though. They'll probably be cheesy as hell, but I grew up (and learned English) reading Fear Street so I'm curious.

Steel76 likes this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Damn that’s one hell of an annoying preview.
    ”We love bla bla bla bla” loud noises and annoying rap music!!!!!

Maybe I’m just old and grumpy, but ADD trailers like this, makes me wanna throw the tv through the window.

Yup, I’m in a good mood today :D

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I'm assuming that it's Stine so it's for kids...?

5. CPT HOOK

baggio likes this.
  6. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I just saw a picture of this on Bloody Disgusting at added it to the list. That skull looked creepy. Never heard of the books before but I'll check them out after the trilogy.

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I was lucky enough to get sent some advanced screeners for the Fear Street Trilogy over the next several weeks, so was able to watch the first installment - Fear Street Part 1: 1994 - last night. While I'm not familiar with the books as I've never read any of them (I did read a bunch of Goosebumps growing up, but somehow never did dig into this series), the trilogy seams to pull pieces or storylines from a couple books in the series - namely the Fear Street Saga and Lights Out. I'll try to keep this as spoiler free as possible: the first film - 1994 - deals with a group of teenagers in Shadyside who get caught up being chased by a trio of masked killers who's motive appears to connect to a series of grisly murders (and various murderers) over the decades, and even centuries, that go back to a witch that was killed back in 1666. The group of teens are made up of Deena (Kiana Madeira), her younger brother Josh (Benjamin Flores, Jr.) who happens to be well versed in Shadyside's shady past, Deena's ex-girlfriend Samantha (Olivia Scott Welch) who happens to be from the neighbouring town of Sunnyvale, Deena's friend Kate (Julia Rehwald), and local outcast Simon (Fred Hechinger).

Overall, Fear Street Part 1: 1994 isn't anything new. It plays out like your standard high school/teen slasher and the characters are all pretty one-dimensional and each perfectly fit into their roles without any ambiguity or chance to do anything exciting. The story also doesn't stray the path of being anything but formulaic as each twist is telegraphed and nothing really stands out to make this tale of a witches curse really scary or fun. It's just all kinda bland and forgettable. And setting this one in 1994 actually feels off and it overall feels more '80s than '90s seeing as these kids are portrayed as latchkey kids as there's not a single parent in sight throughout 99.5% of the films run 105 minute run time, meanwhile the only thing that makes this take place the '90s is the CONSTANT music tracks from the time period playing on the soundtrack at every possible moment. Having a '90s playlist does not make your film '90s, or give it any depth or character other than to annoyingly display that you had a giant music budget to license every top 40 alternative/MTV hit from the early '90s. Obviously since this is a connected trilogy with Part 1 ending with a "To Be Continued..." the full story is spread out over the three movies so it's hard to really fully critique it completely, but as a standalone film it's got not much going for it. It's not terrible, but it's also not that good.

While Goosebumps was definitely geared towards younger teens, the Fear Street trilogy seems to be aimed at the adults, despite the teen cast/setting, because the violence and gore are quite graphic here and about the only positive I can really say for movies so far. The final horror-set-piece of the film, which takes place in a supermarket, at least had a one or two grisly gore gags, including making use of an industrial bread slicer, but slogging through the 90 previous minutes to get there might not make it worthwhile.

I'll still watch the other two (and provide advance reviews) to see if anything shapes up but if the blandness of Part 1 is any indication, Fear Street might be best enjoyed read.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  8. CPT HOOK

^ These aren't from the director of Craft: Legacy, it's from the director of Honeymoon.

I know they did some filming at the camp from Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives and Little Darlings, because I visited there around the same time.

I actually own all of the books (at least from the original run, as I think there have been a few new ones in recent years). Lights Out (mentioned above) is one of the better ones, their take on Friday The 13th. My personal favorite is The Rich Girl, sort of a high school version of A Simple Plan.

Looking forward to the movies, but unfortunately the first will have to wait as I have family visiting for the 4th weekend (I hate when they interrupt my stories!). Will hopefully be able to check out the first two the following weekend.

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Whoops.

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Starts tomorrow Friday. July 2nd

Part 2 will be July 9th and Part 3 will be July 16th.

11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the first film and I'm looking forward to the next two. Teen angst played mostly by actors in their mid to late 20's. One actor actually was a teenager (Benjamin Flores Jr.) and he looks like a little kid compared to the rest of the cast. Quite violent and mostly well paced. I've never read any of R.L Stine's novel so can't say how the film compares to the book. All the movies are directed by Leigh Janiak. I enjoyed her directorial debut Honeymoon as well.

12. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

13. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I watched the first one last night, I was not aware of it in it's printed form and I stayed away from the trailers. I've got to say I enjoyed it overall, there were things that bugged me but these are consistent with most modern films, is it gonna change the world, no, but it's fun enough. The director is certainly a fan of Suspiria as there are quite a few sequences that homage the single colour aesthetic, the characters felt fairly 3 dimensional and the acting was fine. Gore was fairly restrained throughout, apart from a fairly OT sequence towards the end that I was not expecting and I certainly didn't expect it to be as graphic as it was. I will definitely be checking out the others when they are available.

I was gonna applaud Netflix for commissioning this as they don't really do much in the horror space, but I'll retract that after reading the above and the original intention of 20th Century Fox.

One other note, if you watch the end credits it's the amount of FX studio's that were involved, I've not seen that presence in a while! It's interesting as there aren't that many visual effects, well not enough I don't thing to have so many people/studio's involved.

Zombie Dude and russweiss like this.
  14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I also watched this last night and was surprised to find myself enjoying it. The characters were decent enough and it did have a few surprisingly gory moments I also wasn't expecting. The "love scene" bit had me laughing out loud too. I really wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. I felt like there were nods to lots of horror films in there too. A particular scene in a bathroom involving an explosion reminded me of Hellraiser. That skull mask was pretty awesome too. Looking forward to the next one.

hots4 likes this.
  15. CPT HOOK

Going in, I figured this movie would be made for me. Instead, it was just a series of random events with no cohesion whatsoever. I suppose it wasn't actually made for the audience who grew up on these books, and instead for today's audiences with no attention span. It reminded me of that movie Detention, where it just needed to calm down.

I also didn't care about the characters, none of which you'd find in a 1994 Fear Street novel (to be fair though, those were super hetero-normative and white). The lead in particular is especially awful, as all of her line-deliveries just make her sound pissed off all the time.

I guess it was supposed to be a slasher movie? However, the only main characters that bite it are killed within a 60-second period of each other in this 1 hr 47 minute movie. So me thinks the makers don't understand how the genre works.

Overall, bit fat meh from me. If 1978 just delivers a straight-forward camp slasher, I'll be happy.

MorallySound likes this.
  16. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Watched them both today. The 1978 one was the better of the two. I have a weak spot for the 70:s era, and the camp slashers.
    Some pretty brutal old-school axe mayhem :D

Not sure about the next one, set in 1666. Not really a fan of the witch burning era (find most of those movies a big bore), and it just didn't look as exciting, in the trailer at the end of part 2.
    But maybe it'll surprise me.

hots4 likes this.
  17. CPT HOOK

After being underwhelmed by the first movie, I actually liked 1978... when it was being a slasher movie. When it wasn't, it fell into a lot of the same problems as the first part. The characters were much more fun and likable this time around, and I enjoyed the camp setting. Although there were a lot of missed victim opportunities, as there are a lot of characters they simply just forget about. For instance, mean girl Sheila is left knocked out on the bathroom floor. If there were ever a perfect slasher movie victim, the one you want to see get it, it's her. Instead, she just vanishes from the movie. Same goes for Kurt.

I would say overall I liked more of it than I didn't like. I'll agree that 1666 doesn't look like my thing, but since it's free on NetFlix, I'll definitely be watching.

Cooperkill likes this.
  18. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Well-Known Member

I too enjoyed Part Two more than Part One. Part One is all noise. There's never a silent moment. The score never stops playing and the characters never shut the f--k up. Part Two is much less obnoxious, and a pretty good time overall.

19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Watched Part 2 last night and enjoyed it. I think I preferred Part 1 just a little more. The 3rd installment looks really awesome. Can't wait for that one.

20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

We watched these with my daughter. Perfect mid-range horror for her, and we really enjoyed them. Looking forward to part 3! This has made me want to revisit the books, which I read a bunch of as a kid.