Fear the Walking Dead

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave, Aug 21, 2015.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

To be honest, the first season nearly lulled me into a coma. In fact, I thought I had deleted the series recording from my DVR after last season, I was surprised when it started recording new episodes. I just wasn't into the show at all. The characters are all awful and boring, especially the drug addict son.

I'm not really a huge fan of The Walking Dead either, even though I am still watching. That show is constantly going through ups and downs. It will go really really low to the point where I vow to stop watching, then something will happen that hooks me back. By this point, I've sort of come to terms with it and accepted. I've been enjoying it more this past season though and I'm sure I'll see that series through to the end.

I've never read any of the comics, so I have nothing to compare either series to anyway.

Even though I'm not a fan of Fear The Walking Dead, it's always great to see horror doing so well on TV, even if there are much better shows out there.

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I was just thinking about this. Could it possibly be the reason why the "gore" is toned down is because at this stage in the story, the whole "zombie" thing is just developing.

What I mean by that is that in the Walking Dead "world" it's all hell broke loose. Zombies have been around for years, everybody knows how to deal with the situation. Zombies only goal is to eat people, plain and simple. And the main way to counter a zombie is to destroy the head area in some fashion. In Fear this is all new. People really don't know how to "handle" the zombies as of yet. And the zombies themselves just started turning. So they are more or less just attacking rather than going straight to the eating if you will. And another major thing is that the all the zombies in Fear are at a different level, they are not as decayed and most are in WD. They are not so much the monsters they are in WD. So the zombie kill damage is somewhat limited. We aren't going to see a zombie with a half of head dragging around the streets as you would in WD. In WD these are essentially monsters , so it's easier to inflict crazy kill damage on them. They are not "human" so the destruction is easy to take and get away with on TV.

Who really knows, but it's one way of looking at it. But rest assure the Fear is by the exact same creators of WD, on the same channel, at the same time slot. So they there is no way they are toning down the violence without a good reason. Imho I don't have a problem with the violence nor did I really even notice. It seems to fit the story. There are plenty of WD episodes of very little violence and parts where the CGI is heavily used.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I went ahead and deleted it from my DVR as well. I'll wait until it's on streaming and give it another shot (or not).

4. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I enjoyed Season 1 more on second watch via Blu-ray. Only two episodes in, and I'm digging Season 2. A nice palate-cleanser after TWD Season 6 left such a bad taste in my mouth. I'm looking forward to finding out what Strand is up to, and the Asian lady from Flight 462 is shown in the NEP. I'm glad there are no comics to follow, all the debate over who Negan killed is stupid and tiresome. Fuck them and their asinine cliffhanger. :mad: I hope there are more eps. like ep. 2, showing how individuals and families are adapting, with no big post-apocalyptic societies like Woodbury or Terminus yet. :)

5. johnniewalk

johnniewalk New Member

I had seen this movie it's just bored to me so please do n't suggest like this type of movie

CPT HOOK likes this.
  6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I don't know, I must be in the minority but I really liked Sunday's newest episode(#3) One piece of advice, it might be beneficial to watch the Flight 462 webisodes. (total time 16 minutes) Explains the plane crash, and sets up new characters we meet in episode #3. Not necessary, but why not it's an easy 16 minutes. And yes it's really good.

And for those that wanted more violence ... you got it in ep #3. PG this is not. So can we please come to an agreement that PG is not an accurate description of the show.

Harry Warden likes this.
  7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, you're definitely in the minority there Baggio. On other boards I visit this episode was universally reviled. I honestly don't know why I'm still watching. It's pretty clear that it's never going to get good. As for the Flight 462 characters, that's pretty much as waste of time as they're
    cut loose, literally

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

What's great is that you are I don't really no for sure. Well actually I will, you probably won't be watching anymore. ;)

9. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

I have tried in vain to like Fear and I just can't. As someone else in this thread mentioned, I don't like any of the characters and I don't care if they live or die. They're all either boring or irritating. People think TWD took a while to get going, but I remember being into it by the 3rd episode. There were already zombie herds and impossible situations to try to get out of. With Fear, everybody just seems dumb and bland. A few episodes into S2 and I'm still not into it. Nothing of interest has really happened and all the talking between characters just seems like filler.

10. Dave

Dave Pimp

I'm still enjoying it. Love it? No. But I enjoy it. I won't make any final decisions on it until the end of this season. Already renewed for S3 so plenty of people are enjoying it. But yeah, if you don't like it, don't watch. I'm good with that.

Dave

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I know I could just stop watching, but for some reason I feel compelled to, as a Walking Dead fan. Sort of like how Star Trek fans would watch every incarnation of shows in the Star Trek universe, even though some were out-and-out terrible and openly just using the name to attract viewers.

12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

That's just it. WD is in a world that's already established with zombies. Fear is just the beginning. Nobody knows how to handle the situation. You or I wouldn't either. They don't know what's safe or not. They don't know who to trust in there own group for crying out loud.

I don't get the boring thing myself. WD has several upon several entire episodes and scenes within episodes with extremely dull situations. Basically if they are not swinging a weapon at a zombie, it's dull. Every character including the main stars do awfully dumb things constantly. Dumb things that got characters(especially ones that nobody cared about) killed. I don't think people really cared about a WD death since season one. When it was more shocking.

If you like action and quick pace story development, which you probably want. Might I suggest Z Nation. It does everything right. Violent, fun, fast paced, with a CLEAR objective on what the characters are trying to accomplish. And yes they actually call zombies ... zombies. Unlike WD.

The Joker likes this.
  13. The Joker

You make some good points here. To be fair, Rick waking up in the hospital at the beginning of WD - it's not like he knew what to do, what was safe, or who to trust. But I just found it way more interesting than I find Fear.

You're right though - plenty of people in WD have done stupid things, and the consensus is that the farm season went on forevvvveeeerrrrr because it was 95% talking. But since I didn't start watching WD until S3 was already on the air, I was able to binge right through it so it didn't drag as badly as it would have watching week to week.

14. Dave

Dave Pimp

I don't mind that Fair isn't established. I kind of like that and I love that it's the beginning of it all - the collapse of society. Love it. Makes me want to read Lucifer's Hammer again. Okay, I'm reading Lucifer's Hammer again.

The Joker and baggio like this.
  15. The Joker

The absolute best thing I've ever seen about the collapse of society was a documentary about the creation of Walmart.

baggio likes this.
  16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Not saying that this is the reason, but maybe you hit on something there with the binge thing.

Hear me out, Fear of the Walking Dead is like starting over from the beginning. Maybe people are just impatient, feeling like when are we going to get to the good stuff ... the Rick stuff if you will? Not really actual Rick storyline but you know what I'm talking about.

That's just it, it could be a long time before we get to "that world" Deserted towns, overgrowth vegetation areas, complete desperation, zero supplies, etc... So I bring up being impatient not as an insulting way, but a way to describe the best I know how. Maybe this show needs to be binged watched. Because especially this season I can't can't until each next episode. I wanna watch what happened after ep #3, like right now. At this stage of the game with WD, each week when the season is on, I'm like , oh it's on tonight. Take the last episode of WD this season. Whenever the new season starts it starts, no rush is my feeling. Unlike with Fear last ep of Season One, with the boat, I was like dam, let's start this puppy now.

17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Can't speak for others, but that's not my complaint at all. Hell, if anything, we're at the "Rick stuff" NOW. You have a band of survivors, wandering around trying to find a safe place. I was under the impression that we'd see people striving for normalcy in a zombie apocalypse, trying to find a "cure" or solution, and eventually being overrun by the walking dead. Now, I do admit that's happening in Fear, with one notable problem: IT'S ALL HAPPENING OFF SCREEN!! All that interesting stuff is happening, but the only thing we get to see is a couple of families bickering on a boat.

As said before, I don't have to watch it if I don't like it, and I certainly don't mean to crap on whomever is actually enjoying this show. But it's just a lower-budget pale imitation of a compelling zombie story, and I can't see how anyone doesn't see that...

18. Dave

Dave Pimp

See I would think Paff would like Fear because the gasoline is still good!

19. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

It's okay Bags. Don't want to rain on your parade. I'm glad you are really enjoying it. I don't hate it. I am still watching it but I am very disappointed with season 2 so far. Not impressed with last week's episode. I think I said before how much I like Ruben Blades. He is the most likeable character for me. Fucking hate Kim Dickens (the blond lead. Oooooh I so badly want to see her eaten to the bone. I also liked the ex wife that died. That's it. I cannot stand any of the other characters. They are boring, boring, boring, boring, boring. I did like the woman from Flight 462 but I haven't clue what's going on there.. As for this being anything more than PG-13 gore, I disagree with you on that point. I saw nothing in the last episode that made me think that the violence warranted anything more than PG-13 rating. The only scene so far in the entire series that I thought might warrant an R rating was when the guy shoved his head into the helicopter blade in season 1's finale. Too many events are happening off screen.

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I only just found out she was in a movie we screened at my film festival five years ago. Cute little romantic comedy, she plays a loveable dorky girl.