Fear the Walking Dead

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave, Aug 21, 2015.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

One more episode and I think I'm going to stop watching this version as well. The writers seem to be lost and bringing in really stupid stuff with the son. Also they actually are repeating the same story bit from The Walking Dead. Which tells me that they have no ideas and eventually this will turn into The Walking Dead sooner than later.

2. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

Truthfully I don't consider it being renewed for a 3rd season as proof that people are liking it or that it's doing well.

I think because it's part of TWD universe, AMC would never cancel it, for fear of admitting it failed. That would put a kink in TWD armor/franchise. Even if it sucks royally (not far off IMO), I believe they'd keep renewing it.

3. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I think that rather than cancel it, they would find a way to eventually roll it into The Walking Dead. Don't know how they could do it but I am sure they could end up meeting somehow. Very disappointed with how this series has turned out.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

And with that as the mid-season finale, I'm out. I won't be back when it resumes this summer.

5. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I'm actually enjoying season 2 more than season 1. Please don't ask me to explain. I don't really care for any of the characters, and it's not all that great. I thought the scene at the beginning of episode 4, when Nick swims up on the beach and is moving through the deserted refugee camp, was really creepy though. As long as there are a few effective scenes like this sprinkled in I'll continue to watch. I don't view much television- just Game of Thrones, WD and this- so I don't feel bad burning the hour each week.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

haha, not me. I watch way too much damn TV as it is. I like some of the hour-long shows like Bates Motel, Walking Dead, Orphan Black, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., comedies like Modern Family, The Goldbergs, Big Bang Theory, a couple of "reality" shows like Bar Rescue, Intervention, and Cops. Also some shows that the actors have appeared at my film festival like Hawaii Five-O, Fresh off the Boat and Dr. Ken. With a viewing schedule like that, I barely get any time to watch movies as it is. Clearly I need to prune some stuff off the DVR, and Fear the Walking Dead is the lowest-hanging fruit.

I considered (and to be perfectly honest, still am considering) keeping with the show for Michelle Ang's character. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, she was in an indie rom-com we showed at my festival back in 2011, and I was quite a bit smitten. I also think there's potential for her to become a major villain, which would be cool in that we never see the rise of the villains on The Walking Dead, they just appear. We never know their path from the beginning of the zombie outbreak till when they meet Rick's crew. And has been pointed out, if we did, we'd probably be on THEIR side and see Rick's group as the villains.

I just don't think that's enough to keep me watching, and with the obvious low-budget nature of the show, it's clear this is not raking in the bucks for AMC via high ratings and it wouldn't surprise me if it gets cancelled sooner rather than later.

7. Darga

Paff, you need to start a new band and quit watching so much TV!

8. Darga

Oh, and by the way, I finally saw the most recent episode this morning. Show sucks. I quit.

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

haha, yeah. I do miss playing live. I'd always wanted to get a power pop band going (something like Paul Collins' Beat, The Plimsouls, etc), or maybe a female fronted band (in the style of Voice of the Beehive, The Primitives, The Darling Buds), but I'm too old for pay-to-play gigs on a Tuesday night and all the shit that goes with getting a band off the ground. You know precisely what I'm talking about. I did that at 25 and it was a pain in the ass. Can't see myself doing that as I turn 50. Which is next fucking year.

Besides, when I'm not watching excessive amounts of TV, I'm usually reffing roller derby. I average about 3-4 nights a week being on skates. From October of last year through February of this year, there were exactly TWO weekends that I did not do at least something derby related. And one of those weekends I was wanted for a game in OC but I had to do film festival stuff instead.

10. Darga

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Hey, it's more interesting than Fear the Walking Dead. See what I did there? Brought it right back on topic.

That said, you look exactly the same, dude. Me, I wasn't as lucky in the aging department. Well, at least my hairline wasn't.

12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Having been on the side of liking the show so far on this thread. I will admit the last two episodes were a little tough to defend. But I will say the ending was good, so I'm still in. Maybe you guys need to watch Talking Dead after each show, to see the the direction this series is heading. The creators seem well invested in this series.

13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

The show has been already renewed for a third season. It was renewed after the first episode of the second season back in April. And its 16 episodes to boot.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

If I need to watch a follow-up talk show in order to enjoy the show itself, it's clear the creators are not doing a very good job.

The Joker likes this.
  15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I guess that's what I really didn't mean to say. My mistake. The talk show is just a nice compliment to the series. You can clearly see how people are into the show. From the fans to the actors. Hearing what's coming up next by the creators, etc... But like you stated before, you're out. No one is forcing you, just a suggestion.

16. Harry Warden

Okay.. I lied (kinda). I watched the opening episode of the second part of season two last night and thought it was pretty decent. Since Preacher is over and The Walking Dead doesn't start until October 23rd, I found myself going back to the familiar. It does appear that they are going to boost the gore level in this series, at least from the previews. I certainly hope so. They need to move out the PG-13 arena.

17. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

I really haven't liked Fear at all. From the beginning it just felt like the creators were trying to expand the Walking Dead franchise and milk some more out of it.

I didn't watch the premiere of this new season and I'm pretty certain that I'm off of it for good.

I had a discussion with someone about Fear and this was my rationale:

There are certain characters in the Walking Dead that I don't care about. One of them is Sasha. If her character lives or dies, it has absolutely no impact on the show, or at least, on my enjoyment of it. In that regard, I find Sasha to be filler, fluff, etc.

Fear, in my opinion, is entirely populated by Sashas. I don't care about a single character in the series. They're very faceless and bland. The main kid/ex-junkie just reminds me of Shaggy from Scooby Doo. Everyone else seems painfully stupid.

I honestly think this was a misfire on AMC's part. It happens. No network is perfect. But it's obvious to me that they are struggling to get Fear the same following as TWD. And I just don't ever see that happening.

18. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I quickly lost interest in this season.
    I think I'm done with both shows now.
    Just got bored of it all.

19. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I can't do shows, man...... can't. I've never been able to follow any show with a continuous story line, week after week. Everyone knows I'm a horror fanatic and they try to force The Walking Dead on me. Everyone and their mother praises this show, and i'm sure it's great.... I just can't do it. It's either a movie or a sitcom for me. I need an end. 90 to 150 minutes or so is enough for me. Fuck this watching 190 episodes to reach a conclusion. Meanwhile 77 characters have 18 different story lines a piece. I don't know how people follow it and still remain functional in their daily lives.

Lost..........nope, never watched one episode.
    American horror story.........nope, not one episode.
    Walking Dead........nope.

I just can't do television in general. I stick to baseball, golf, and reruns of seinfeld, simpsons, south park, chappelle show, curb your enthusiasm and cops. Pretty much it. I'm a big Danny McBride fan so I got into Eastbound and Down and I'm watching Vice Principals now. Those have been my exceptions I guess.

20. Harry Warden

Well..I don't have anything on TV to watch on Sunday nights, so I'll stick with it for now.

Steel76 likes this.