Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by dwatts, Nov 13, 2007.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I just watched this film tonight. Picked up the Eureka disc on a whim when i saw it in a store this afternoon.

What a fabulous movie this is! Goodness me where to start? The least of it is the exploitation elements. The set design is fantastic, there is some wonderful imagery, and the central performance is terrific. Even when it takes extreme liberties with "reality", I never felt it was odd.

Yet something else Tarrantino ripped off - sorry - paid homage too, why bother with that when you can have the original? great stuff!

What a thoroughly fantastic little film.

2. adric

adric New Member

i just ordered the trilogy at ddd. great shit

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yup, a fantastic all around movie. A lot of Japanese culture and tradition hidden amongst all the exploitation. Examples: The white cloth thrown over the dead body, resulting in a bloodstain that resembles the Japanese flag. Or how the shower fight scene is influenced by Kabuki theater.

Even though this got me started on a kick of Japanese exploitation cinema (Girl Boss Guerilla, Terrifying Girls' High School, Sex and Fury, Female Yakuza Tale), none approaches the greatness of "Sasori". Check the sequels too, but they pale to the original.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Trilogy? There's four movies (with Meiko Kaji). Unless that set doesn't include the second movie (Jailhouse 41) which is owned by a different studio. Too bad, as that's the best of the sequels, though none compare to the original (see above post)

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I personally like the first and Beast Stable the best and Grudge Song the least (BY FAR), but they are all excellent movies and Meiko Kaji shines in them. You can't lose by picking them all up asap.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2007
  6. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Yeah, these films are great, especially the original and Beast Stable, which has an almost Leone feel to it. I'm pretty much addicted to all-things Asian-Exploit, and this series is among the top of the genre.

7. adric

adric New Member

yea no jailhouse 41, but i didnt really care for that one so im ok. i never really looked at which ones were included in the set, i figured it didnt have grudge song. but for less than 20 dollars i couldnt complain.

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Strange. I bought the first film in the UK, and the first two titles have been picked by a prestigious label - Eureka. They're our Criterion. The transfer last night was very good, if the sound wasn't a little thin.

9. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I have the Eureka! release for Jailhouse 41, and the print is decent (shows some age though), but it's also hardsubbed, and I'd say the weakest Eureka! disc I own. It's definitely inferior when compared to the other 3 films from the R1 set.

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Eureka went that route because that's the second film in the series, right? I must admit I never checked to see if I could remove the subs from Scorpion, they certainly seemed removable. Still, I'd never watch it without subs, so it's not much of an issue for me. Be interested to see a comparison of the R1 and R2 discs.

11. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I bought the set today but I need Jailhouse 41. It's going for insane prices on eBay and Half.com. Any recommendations?