Fernando Di Leo Thread

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

I've now seen two films by the man:Slaughter Hotel and Manhunt.
    Both enjoyable but SH,although visually very appealing,is a bit lame.Manhunt was great.

Could someone please tell me a bit more about his work?

I think I'll include some of his crime thrillers in my next order(s).

2. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Some of his other great hits are:

IL BOss
    MIlan Calibre 9
    To Be Twenty

3. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Please elaborate a bit more.
    Milano Calibro 9 has a great soundtrack by Osanna,that's about the only thing I know.Osanna,in their days,were influenced by early King Crimson.

Can someone tell me a bit more about his "Milieu Trilogy"?
    Seems to me the stories have more to offer than just plain action.

4. Blue Holocaust

Blue Holocaust New Member

Milano Calibro 9 is my favorite together with La Mala Ordina (Manhunt). Great story (the less said the better), awesome soundtrack, perfect cast, etc...
    I'd say the style is somewhere between Umberto Lenzi & Jean-Pierre Melville...

Il Boss is fine too, I didn't get into it as much though... I seem to remember the gratuitous sex/nudity being a bit much. Henri Silva is pretty bad-ass in this one though.

To Be Twenty: I couldn't get into this one, at all... The whole film feels like a pretty dull italian sex comedy. The Last House on the Left style ending kinda saves it but it's very out of place.

Il Padroni della Citta (Mister Scarface): This one was a good surprise, not as much talked about, but I thought it was awesome! Like La Mala Ordina, it's a little more on the comedic side. But great action and good enough plot. And it features Al Cliver (Zombie) in his best and biggest starring role. Plus Jack Palance as Mr. Scarface...

Some of the other diLeo stuff can be pretty awful... I hated Colpo in canna (with Ursula Andress), Ragazzi del Massacro was pretty boring... Slaughter Hotel is not one of his best, although I dig it as a die-hard giallo fan.

Can't go wrong with the Raro Dvd's, they look awesome, most have english subtitles & great special features...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  5. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

1.jpg

I watched my Raro DVD of To Be Twenty. Gloria Guida is really the only good thing about the movie. She looks stunning and is willing to shed her clothes. The film didn't seem to have any real plot. Just two young girls dancing, screwing, and selling encyclopedias. The ending is the really weird part. It doesn't fit with the rest of the film. Pretty ridiculous musical track as well.