Film Noir recomendations

Discussion in 'Classic' started by gusse, Dec 28, 2003.

1. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

I like the 1964 version - Ronald Reagan, Cassavetes, Lee Marvin and directed by Don Siegel - although the original is one of the best noirs I've seen. My favorite Lee Marvin movie is the amazing "Point Blank" which I don't think is on DVD.

I think all the main film noirs have been mentioned except maybe "The Big Sleep". I wanted to agree with mutleyhyde about seeing Anthony Mann's film noirs - very stylish. In fact "Raw Deal" features a coffee-throwing scene that must have been copied for "The Big Heat".

2. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

Some of my all time favorite Noirs or films with Noir elements are:

RIFIFI
    SIDE STREET
    REIGN OF TERROR, aka, THE BLACK BOOK
    THE CHASE
    DETOUR
    DOA
    HE WALKED BY NIGHT
    T-MEN
    RAW DEAL
    THE HITCH-HIKER
    THE HOODLUM
    IMPACT
    KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL
    KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE
    THE RED HOUSE
    SCARLET STREET
    TOO LATE FOR TEARS
    ARMORED CAR ROBBERY
    THE BIG HEAT
    GUNMAN IN THE STREETS
    THE STRANGER
    BLONDE ICE
    THE LIMPING MAN
    THE SCAR, aka, HOLLOW TRIUMPH
    STRANGE ILLUSION
    STRANGE IMPERSONATION
    THE BIG COMBO
    PORT OF NEW YORK
    WOMAN ON THE RUN
    ROADBLOCK
    THE THREAT
    DARK PASSAGE
    THE GLASS KEY
    FORCE OF EVIL

And many more that are too much to mention. :)

3. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I have Point Blank on VHS, but I haven't watched it yet. I don't even have The Big Heat, one of my top 5 favorite noir film of all-time on DVD! I own the former and the latter on a VHS tape from TCM when they had a Lee Marvin marathon. I hope the former gets a DVD release and I hope to purchase Columbia's DVD of the latter.

4. marioscido

marioscido New Member

I must confess that I haven't seen any of his films, except the very uninspired "Glenn Miller Story" (1953). I only know him as the guy who was replaced by Kubrick on "Spartacus." I will make an effort to see "Raw Deal" and some of his other 'noirs,' such as "T-Men." Any other suggestions?

And yes, I do love Marvin, but have not seen the "Killers" remake or "Point Blank."

5. Luna

Luna Guest

I must say that I've been wanting to see "The Third Man" and "M" and some others for quite a while and that this thread has been incentive for me to push those movies up in my Netflix queue.

I haven't really seen too much noir, I suppose, so this should be pretty interesting. Thanks for all the information!

6. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I watched The Killers last night. The DVD presentation is excellent and the extras are abundant and informative. The film is mostly told through flashback, and it was beautifully shot. **** (of *****)

I recommend the Criterion DVD.

7. gusse

gusse New Member

Time to ressurect this thread!

Just orderd a few more noir movies, some ones you guys have turned me on to, and some ones I just think I need in my collection: The Big Heat, The Big Sleep, Key Largo, D.O.A., The Killers (Criterion), Rififi (Criterion). I have seen The Big Sleep and Key Largo before, the others are bought since you recomended them. Thats faith for you! ;-)

I have seen a bunch of Noir movies during the last few days.
    Saw "The Third Man" for the first time a few days back and liked it alot, but I have to admit that after all the good word of mouth this movie has gotten my hopes where so high for the movie that it almost didnt live up to my imagination. The only "bad" thing I can say about the movie is that its a bit sad that the "surprice" of the third man's identity is ruined once you read the text on the back of the DVD. (SPOLIERS) The first part of the movie is pretty much a quest to find out who the man is but the viewer already know we are waiting for Orson Welles to show up since the back (and the cover) tells us so... (END OF SPOILERS) It's an old movie and I guess most people already know who the third man is - but I have to admit that I wasn't in on the "surprice" before I read the text on the back of the DVD. Oh well - It's still an awesome movie, but it would have been an even cooler experience to get that real revalation-feeling when you see The Third Man for the first time...

"In A Lonely Place" and Oh Man what a superb movie it is! I didn't know a whole lot about this movie when i hit play on the DVD and it was beautiful to see the story unfold. I guess it's more of a drama than an Noir in some ways, but that "dark noir feeling" is very much present through out the whole movie. I love the caracters and their dialog - and oh yes, Bogart is fantastic (as usual). I don't want to say too much about this one, don't want to ruin it for you who hasn't seen it already - but I can say that the ending was a bit surprincing... I loved it! :glasses:

"A Kiss Before Dying" was pretty uneaven if you ask me - bits of it was very good, bits of it felt pretty uninspired to me. I like the story very much but the actuall movie could have been much more effective/suspensefull. I reckon this could have been a real classic in the hands of a better director. As it is now it's OK but nothing more. The story is in a way remicent of "The Talented Mr Ripley", does any one know if thats aknowledged by the makers of "Ripley"? I think "Ripley" is a better movie!

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

AB - Hell is a City.

9. gusse

gusse New Member

I found a cool noir-site, check it out: http://www.filmsite.org/filmnoir.html

Besides alot of historical facts about the actual genre/style theres also a pretty big list of recomended viewings on the third page, listing "important" movies from the 30's up till 2001:

Greatest of Early and Classic Film Noir:
    I Am a Fugitive From A Chain Gang (1932)Fury (1936)
    The Letter (1940)
    Rebecca (1940)
    Stranger on the Third Floor (1940)
    Citizen Kane (1941)High Sierra (1941)
    The Maltese Falcon (1941)
    Suspicion (1941)
    The Glass Key (1942)
    This Gun For Hire (1942)
    Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
    Laura (1944)
    Double Indemnity (1944)
    Gaslight (1944)
    The Lodger (1944)
    The Mask of Dimitrios (1944)
    Murder, My Sweet (1944)
    Phantom Lady (1944)
    The Suspect (1944)
    To Have and Have Not (1944)
    The Woman in the Window (1944)
    Cornered (1945)
    Detour (1945)
    Fallen Angel (1945)
    The House on 92nd Street (1945)
    Leave Her to Heaven (1945)
    The Lost Weekend (1945)
    Mildred Pierce (1945)
    Scarlet Street (1945)
    Spellbound (1945)
    The Big Sleep (1946)
    The Blue Dahlia (1946)
    Cornered (1946)
    The Dark Corner (1946)
    Gilda (1946)
    The Killers (1946)
    Lady In The Lake (1946)
    Notorious (1946)
    The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)
    The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946)
    The Stranger (1946)
    Body and Soul (1947)
    Brute Force (1947)
    Crossfire (1947)
    Dark Passage (1947)
    Dead Reckoning (1947)
    Kiss of Death (1947)
    Nightmare Alley (1947)
    Out of the Past (1947)
    Ride the Pink Horse (1947)
    T-Men (1947)
    The Big Clock (1948)
    Call Northside 777 (1948)
    Cry of the City (1948)
    The Dark Past (1948)
    Force of Evil (1948)
    Key Largo (1948)
    The Lady From Shanghai (1948)
    The Naked City (1948)
    Raw Deal (1948)
    Road House (1948)
    Ruthless (1948)
    Sorry, Wrong Number (1948)
    Act of Violence (1949)
    Beyond the Forest (1949)
    Champion (1949)
    Criss Cross (1949)
    Gun Crazy (1949) (or 1950) (aka Deadly is the Female)
    The Set-Up (1949)
    They Live By Night (1949)
    The Third Man (1949)
    White Heat (1949)
    The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
    D. O. A. (1950)
    In a Lonely Place (1950)
    Night and the City (1950)
    Panic in the Streets (1950)
    Sunset Boulevard (1950)
    Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950)
    The Big Carnival (1951)
    On Dangerous Ground (1951)
    Strangers on a Train (1951)
    The Narrow Margin (1952)
    Scandal Sheet (1952)
    Sudden Fear (1952)
    The Big Heat (1953)
    Niagara (1953)
    Pickup on South Street (1953)
    Crime Wave (1954)
    The Big Combo (1955)
    The Desperate Hours (1955)
    Diabolique (Fr.) (1955)
    Kiss Me Deadly (1955)
    The Night of the Hunter (1955)
    Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (1956)
    Crime in the Streets (1956)
    The Killing (1956)
    While the City Sleeps (1956)
    The Wrong Man (1956)
    Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
    Touch of Evil (1958)
    Vertigo (1958)
    Odds Against Tomorrow (1959)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2004
  10. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

Sorry you didn't like it more - I think this is one of my favorite movies. The combination of story and setting is perfect and it's great to watch Cotten and Welles on screen. Not too mention many memorable scenes and images - the sewer chase, the Ferris wheel scene, Welles hiding in a doorway and the final scene.

I haven't seen either of "Kiss Before Dying" or "Talented Mr. Ripley" but both are based on books and "Kiss...." was written before "Talented...".

11. gusse

gusse New Member

MaxRenn: you misunderstood my comment on The Third Man. I think its a very, very good movie!! :banana: My only "complaint" is that it probably would have been even better if the
    identity of the third man wouldnt have been spoiled by the DVD Cover
    . I'll probably like the movie even better when i view it again since the "frustration" of having the surprice ruined wont be present since I already have seen the movie one time and can relax and just enjoy the ride so to speak.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2004
  12. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

guesse,
    USE SPOILER TAGS! :mad:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2004
  13. gusse

gusse New Member

Damn - here I am complaining about the spoilers and then I might have spoiled it for someone else... gaah! Im realy sorry - hope I didn't fuck it up for some one.

Lyle Horowitz: I have spoiler-tagged my post but your quotation of it is not tagged. Please erase.

:(

14. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

gusse, I fixed it.

15. gusse

gusse New Member

Got a bunch of new Noir DVDs today: The Big Heat, D.O.A., The Big Sleep, Key Largo, Rififi (criterion), The Killers (criterion). I have already seen D.O.A and The Big Heat.

D.O.A. was a fun little B-movie. I love the bizarre story of the movie - a man knows that he has been poisoned and that he will die very soon, and he wants to get some answers about his own demise before it's too late. Who has poisoned him and why!? A pretty far fetched story it might seem, and yes - it is a bit convulted, but think it works anyway! It's a very fun ride if if you are able to take it for what it is.

The first 20-30 minutes seemed a bit slow but after that the intrigue gets going and as usual it's a huge web of feme fatales, gangsters, lies and fun dialouge. The acting was ok but there was room for improvement. There are some moments when I got a bit frustrated as a viewer that the protagonist didn't just ask the police for help and stuff like that, but not this frustration wasnt enough to ruin the movie experience for me or anything.

I got the Roan DVD and it has decent video/audio. There are scrathes here and the image could have been a bit sharper I guess but all in all I think the vide looked surprisingly good for such an old move and such a cheap DVD. I encurage everyone who is interested in Film Noir and is able to take advantage of the current Roan Sale http://store.troma.com that mutleyhyde has notified us about in the "bargain" area of this forum. Pick it up while it's on sale, its a cool little movie! http://store.troma.com/index.php?SCREEN=department&store=default&department=82

The Big Heat is even better! It's probably one of the darker Noirs I have ever seen - the tone of the movie is pretty grim. I was actualy surpriced that the movie was as violent as it was. It's pretty hard to tell something about the story without spoiling the experience for those who have yet to see it so I'll play it safe and keep quiet :D But trust me, if you like Noir you'll like this! Good actors, good story and Fritz Lang behind the camera - I shouldn't have to say anything more! ;) The DVD is decent. The video is a bit scrathy but not enough to ruin the experience or anything.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2004
  16. marioscido

marioscido New Member

"The Big Heat" is a great film. Can you believe it was perceived as a mediocre paint-by-numbers noirs by critics when it was originally released? More recently, it has gained a wider following, but intitally, it was seen as a minor film by a declining auteur. The littel BFI book on the film is quite good.

17. gusse

gusse New Member

Oh my god! I just saw Robert Siodmak's version of The Killers (made 1946) and it's incredible! Without a doubt one of my favorite Noirs!! It sucks you in from the first second and wont let go till the very last frame - an absolute masterpiece! Every aspect of the movie is top notch - story, acting, direction - everything! And the Criterion DVD is superb! The Audio/video of the movie is splendid. Have just started having a look at the extras and they seem to be killer(s) too :glasses: