Final Exam on dvd

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by gore, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

Final Exam rules! How dare someone say different.

2. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I picked up Final Exam at Kim's Video, NYC. As usual their DVD's are out ahead of street date...

3. rhett

rhett Administrator

4. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Wildman is crazy! Drinkin booze, sprayin' deoderant with his shirt on and in his mouth - I'm tellin' ya. Coach has his number though.

5. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

How is Don't Answer the Phone? I searched the forums but couldn't find anything about it. From the trailer it looks somewhat good.

6. rhett

rhett Administrator

Pretty good. It feels more like a film cut from TAXI DRIVER than it does HALLOWEEN. Very sleazy and down beat, with a tour de force performance from the lead psycho. Definitely worth checking out.

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

I love how in a single shot he is able to eat:

• Shaving cream
    • A greasy drumstick
    • Deodorant
    • Whiskey

Fuck DeNiro in RAGING BULL, this is immersing yourself in character!

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Sounds grand. :evil:

My pre-order shipped from DD already (with Savage Streets), and I'm looking forward to it!

9. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Guy, he just goes all out :lol:

10. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I too am in the Wildman fan club. Radish also. This movie is so great. I understand why people hate it, perfectly, but I don't care. I love it for those same exact reasons.

Finally got my review for it up at Oh, The Horror!

Final Exam review at Oh, The Horror!

11. rhett

rhett Administrator

A must read, notable for being the only written document in history to link FINAL EXAM with NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. Now what are you doing wasting all your time with that Brett guy...there's movies here that need reviewin'! :D

12. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Mon frere, we're just waiting for you to join us on the dark side. ;)

13. rhett

rhett Administrator

Oh, the Horror! :D

14. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    If only we had the internet when I was starting college...I just found out I could have gotten degrees from either of the schools used as Lanier College in FINAL EXAM! Back then (the 90's) you just didn't know where most of these films were made.
    All this time, I wanted a school like that (without the killer, of course). Talk about missed opportunity!

15. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

That's awesome! I wonder if it's changed any?

On a similar note, a couple of years ago, two of my friends attended a Pharmacy school in Virginia, and I made a 6 hour driving trek a few times to go visit them on the weekend. They are now graduated, but little did I know that on the way there, I was mere MINUTES away from the old military school used in CLASS REUNION MASSACRE. :( Now that they've moved back here, I really have no other reason to drive to that part of the country again. Missed my chance. Oh well.

16. old-boo-radley

This flick was one I originally wasn't even going to give a chance, but I can't get the OTH and HD reviews out of my head. I rarely get too excited over slashers, but it seems like everywhere I turn I'm in Friday the 13th Part VIII. Except instead of seeing Jason every time I turn my head, I see that fucking Final Exam DVD cover.

The shaving cream, drumstick, deodorant and whiskey part just keeps my head spinning. Sometimes I check back into this thread to re-read that and see if I'm dreaming. That is... amazing. I mean, not even The Coroner from Doom Asylum did anything that awesome. At least not in a row.

Could it be... the slasher fire in my heart is once again re-igniting after lying dormant the last couple years? Thoughts of gay men kicking major ass and insulting the mommas of straight men in a bar, fat dudes in vans and Amos the big dicked janitor are running around in my head. And some weird whiskey swillin' sonofagun I've never laid eyes on.

17. rhett

rhett Administrator

Sounds like a weekend in Estevan.

Seriously, Radish and Wildman can do no wrong. I'd love to see a teen sex comedy prequel where the two of them put their allegiances aside to install video cameras in the women's shower.

18. old-boo-radley

Those would be the most awesome names for a teen-sex comedy, too. Although if it were up to me, I'd want Meathead from Meatballs II along for the ride to be their trusty alien sidekick.

I'm sure you've seen it, but if you haven't, check out Slaughter High as fast as you can. I picked it up on VHS in good ol' E-town for $2. The part that sticks out to me most is when a group of students bust in on a nerd taking a shower and just start chanting at him, "Where's the beef?!" :lol:

19. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

The acid bath always stuck in my head from Slaughter High ever since I saw it when my sister rented it back in the late 80's.

20. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Though I wouldn't mind better image and sound, the DVD is a definite keeper for me. I can understand the appeal of Wildman and Radish - I liked them as well. Especially Radish - he was so cute with his large nose and his crush on the final girl. The final chase is tense enough, with some great shots (the killer coming down the stairs at the other end of the hall, unseen by the heroine, for instance).

It is not as expertly shot as Halloween, the killer is not particularly iconic (as opposed to Michael and Jason and even Cropsy and Marz), and it is rather bloodless for a slasher. This definitely puts it in a lesser league, but it does have its charms and modest scares, and I imagine most slasher fans will enjoy it. I certainly did.

By the way, does anyone know if the melody playing when Wildman confronts Radish was composed for this movie? It's a rather cool song...