Final Exam on dvd

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by gore, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Finally got my hands on a copy of the new dvd, and I really enjoyed this one! It had been at least fifteen years since I'd last given it a look, and I remembered not being overly impressed. The years have perhaps been kind to this one, or maybe I've just mellowed and developed more of a nostalgic fondness for these cheesy 80's slashers, but this was a really fun watch! Also, some really nice/well-shot views of the killer standing/skulking around in the background. Final Exam probably isn't for everybody, but 80's slasher enthusiasts are sure to love it.

2. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I got the disc in the mail about a week ago and I got around to watching it tonight. Me likey. I think it works a lot better now than it ever could have back then, school shootings aren't all in good fun anymore and after that the speed heist doesn't even seem out of the ordinary. If anything, the film has inspired me to start launching grenades the next time a friend needs a distraction in a pinch. To hell with jumping up and down Screech Powers style.

When watching Final Exam, I thought the killer was blah, but after digesting it for a whole 7 minutes, I'm confident that it was a good choice. It's not often, especially when popular films are sequelized, that a guy can just go on an old fashioned killing spree in a slasher without anyone knowing why.

My one question, though... what the hell happened to the teacher with the John Holmes moustache? He never did get to bang that snooty, tasty bitch. Towards the end, when her clothes finally dropped, the film won me over. If the director would have pulled some bullshit and just showed her back, I'd have gone on a similar rampage. After leaving the slasher genre for a while and now becoming reacquainted stronger than ever, I'm only unforgiving when the broad that should undress doesn't. If Wildman wrote the Bible, that type of thing would be Commandment #1. A van with poor gas mileage and seating for 12 would be around #4, right behind "Thou shalt use whiskey as mouthwash" and "Thou shalt keep gym lockers clean, for thou not know when it may double as a tomb."

[​IMG]
    Radish: Living (at the time) proof that Americans can't drink for shit.​

3. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Terrific DVD! I remember first seeing this at the cinema and being REAL puzzled by the gun massacre sequence. I was thinking, "...uh, this IS going to be a horror movie, right...?"
    When Gary gets "ice cubed" my older brother and his bud were laughing hard...and pissing me off. After Gary gets it, they got up and played video games the rest of the film. :)
    [​IMG]

*good times*

4. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    ...and I got my wish ;) Great commentary with the cast. WILDMAN...you were missed, however.

5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

is the dvd OOP now???

6. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

yep, OOP!

7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

no shit?! wow, i'm really happy i picked it up when i did. i'd never seen it, and thought hard about it since it was about $20...could have easily gone the other way.

8. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Savage Streets is now OOP, its running about 40+ bucks now...

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

BCI = OOP

I heard a rumor on another forum that some BCI titles would come back into print, under the normal Navarre banner. How accurate that is, or which titles exactly I don't know...

10. rhett

rhett Administrator

Sad times...sort of like how Madman suddenly got super rare. We live in a cruel world where you can't find enough shit in bargain bins at Wallyworld and Ballbuster but the good stuff goes under before it even gets a chance!

11. Stige

Stige Active Member

kind of makes me glad I am the type who can't wait and buys them right after they are released, especially if they go OOP so soon

get tears in my eyes thinking of the fate of "Night Warning" , "Nightmare" and so on.....sigh. Wonder if they will ever even come out now

12. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Glad I didn't wait on Final Exam or Savage Streets, and glad they lined up with the last DD sale. :D

I love that 11 years later you can still get the "Limited Edition" of Saving Private Ryan, but less than 10 months later you can't get these.:rolleyes:

13. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

should i get it there is a place on the internet that has 5 copies still all of em still factory sealed for 19.97 including shipping and handling they accept money orders and also it is in the same state as me.i don't think i have ever seen this film but i've heard alot about it and this is probably one of the few slasher films that i missed

14. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

There were about 3-4 new copies on ebay earlier today for $9.99 and free shipping. I can't vouch for the sellers or anything, so it's at your own risk.
    Sacage Streets were few. Most were buy it now starting at $49.99 or $59.99, the lone auction was already in the high $20's. I've never got robbed on ebay by anyone with 99% or better feedback if that helps. You could also try amazon used sellers, I've always had good luck with them too. Twice I got the wrong disc from sellers there, but both were quickly replaced with the right one, or refunded (including shipping back) right away. $19.97 just sounds too high if still $10 on ebay.

Looks like Final Exam can be had pretty cheap still, I'd act quick though. As word of it being OOP gets around, the prices will surely climb. Too late for Savage Streets, the word is out on that one.

15. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

I read I think right on this message board that Savage Streets was supposed to repressed, but I would not hold my breath. I received mine right before all the online stores had it listed as OOP/ Unavailable.

16. Bristlebane

Bristlebane New Member

Im going to hunt down a copy of Final exam. It does seem to be going pretty cheap at the moment. It seems like Mill Creek is picking up some of BCI's catalog that has gone oop, so maybe they will pick up savage streets. I dont think I could bring myself to pay $50 for any disc.

17. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

I've only done that once, it was for the OOP Anchor Bay release of Tenebre... and then they re-released it about 4 months later with an improved image, sound, and more special features. :fucked:

18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

They had one left new and in stock on Amazon.ca for $19 so I snagged it up yesterday. And it shipped out yesterday too.

Thanks for the heads up on it's OOP status, folks!

19. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Yeah, I had ordered this through Amazon about two months ago but they ran out. :( Luckily, I did get to see it on the big screen recently, so thatwas kind of cool. But I would really like to have it in my collection.

Bristlebane: I found a used copy of SAVAGE STREETS in perfect condition through fye.com for about $15 a month ago. You might want to check it out.

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I think that I have just about everything I really needed/wanted from BCI now. If there's something that I really want, I just buy it on the release date. To hell with saving $5 or so at a later date; risking that it may suddenly go OOP and paying even more to get it.

I grabbed the Flash Gordon set and both volumes of Defenders of the Earth for about $4 each (all new) recently.