Final Friday Specs

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Jun 29, 2004.

1. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Have I mentioned lately that Paramount sucks the fat one? They ain't gettin' one cent out of me until they get their shit together! Scumbags.

2. Loomis

Loomis Guest

It is odd, you know.

Paramount have demonstrated that they can do a lot for a niche fan base (e.g. the Star Trek franchise, with every release a 2-disc set). Yet, judging from comments here, horror fans are less than satisfied. I agree - time and effort may have made this a better set...

However, this is my no means a TERRIBLE set, as some have implied. A terrible set would be the lot of them in pan & scan collected together barebones. What we get instead is a number of new to DVD commentaries, and a few hours of documentaries and deleted scenes.

Granted, this may not be what everybody wanted (and it is tough to compare it to the magnificent Dawn of the Dead Box that is coming), but it is a collection of all the films in one place which for many (including me) is fantastic. I only own the R4 F13 (with commentary & doco), so the chance to pick them all up in one place is great for my needs.

Still, I can understand the disappointment, particularly when we know this probably wont be the final word on F13 DVD releases. At any rate, I am pleased (but my wallet is not).

3. nekropimp

nekropimp Guest

I am incredibly anxious for this...although, as with you all, I do wish they would have been UNCUT versions.
    I will DEFINITELY buy this...but, after the discouraging news that the first film will not A: be UNCUT and B: HAVE A SEAN S. CUNNINGHAM COMMENTARY...I've just ordered the R2 "FRIDAY THE 13TH: UNCUT", which does include the above commentary. I'm fan enough to have both versions in my collection I guess.
    I thought I'd read somewhere that Joe Zito was recording a commentary for THE FINAL CHAPTER?

4. SalsaShark

SalsaShark New Member

Hopefully they can at least use the original poster art for the individual DVD cases in the box. What they hell happened to the covers of F13 5 through 8????

5. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

After all the complaining I have done about this set it was completely washed away after hearing what the special features will be. I will definetly be getting this to replace my old DVDs of the movies. Finally the info on this long awaited box set is known. Even though they are not uncut it is better news than I expected.

6. Loomis, you've made some good points, I also agree that it's a fine DVD collection, if Paramount takes us for fools, I think the rest of us would agree that Paramount could'nt be a worse studio being that it's ashamed of the very franchise that built it's company from the ground up. Now take New Line Cinema for instance, the house that Freddy built, and they proudly state that. I was happy as a little school girl when Newline bought the rights to Friday the 13th. So here's the facts: Toybox/toolbox?, the studio that created the DVD collection had been interviewed and were stated saying things like we want to make this the best Friday the 13th DVD collection possible, but Paramount is holding us back, we've even had to can some of the extras(anyone remember the music videos?). They clearly, and horribly chose to go half ass on this collection, there's no 5.1 surround, and there are no remastered transfers, maybe there excuse is to wait until they release the DVD's uncut(considering they find all the appropriate deleted scenes and snippets) to go full force and release beautiful DVD's, but I think there going to see how well these DVD's sale and if they sale well, than they'll have double dip written all over their face. So the lesson of todays story is, if we want the "Alien Quadtrilogy" treatment, were going to half to all go out and spend $60.00.

7. SwampThing

SwampThing Guest

I'm getting this set too. (i only have the first Friday on DVD.)

If somebody want to read the Paramount Press Release:
    http://www.dvdfile.com/news/web_wire/press_release/titles/fridaythe13th.html

8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

$60 for a bonus disc (already have the bare bone releases & R3 dvd of 1). nah, i think i will wait for the eventual bootleg copies of the bonus disc to pop up on ebay. maybe when the HD-DVD versions come out, i may spring for an upgrade.

9. SwampThing

SwampThing Guest

False.
    Chapter VII will have a DD 5.1 Surround track.

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

So what are the chances that a better box will appear in R2? I mean, they already have an uncut part I on the market.

11. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Apparantly that isn't the real cover, this is:

[​IMG]

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

13. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I see that horrid title font on the box - I wonder if www.dvdcoverart.com will have something better.

14. Stormrider

Stormrider Guest

So what company released the uncut R2 and R3 first part of Friday the 13th if not Paramount. Besides giving us the Bonus Disc they didn't bother to put the uncut footage back into the movies, but the uncut R2 and R3 DVD of the first part already exists with Sean Cunningham,Harry Manfredini,Adrienne King, Betsy Palmer commentary and "Return to Crystal Lake-Making Friday the 13th" documentary, so why not put that in the box?

15. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Warner Bros. released the R2 and R3.

16. dapigg

dapigg Member

Probably... if they (www.dvdcoverart.com )ever settle their pending legal issues and re-open their site. :mad:

17. Stormrider

Stormrider Guest

Thanks for the information. So I probably end up getting the box and the R2 DVD of the first part to have at least Nr.1 uncut and Nr. 9 which has both versions on the DVD and was released by another studio.

18. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Man, you think they'll ever get back online? what they were doing was a huge legal problem. I'd wager they'll never come back, at least in the format they were in.

19. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

none. Paramount owns the international rights to 2 - 8.

20. abattoir17

abattoir17 Guest

Granted, I'm very disappointed that the set is so lacking, but since I only own the first film on DVD, I'll probably wind up getting the set. Since I'd like to have them all, it'll be cheaper than buying the discs individually.

The thing that really makes me apprehensive about the extras is that the deleted scenes are in a featurette. I have a feeling that some stuff is still going to get trimmed in order to fit the pacing of a traditional featurette. I'd rather have the material selectable from a menu than watch a special on it.