FINAL STAB (David DeCoteau, 2001) -- Massacre Video

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, Jan 11, 2019.

1. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

*** A Cinema Arcana Exclusive! ***

“The reality of this game… is murder!” David DeCoteau’s new millennium slasher flick FINAL STAB (2001) gets its Blu-Ray debut from Massacre Video as Numero Five-o in their ongoing Limited Edition series!

When Angela and her boyfriend Charlie get invited to a little shindig thrown by her estranged *****-of-a-sister Kristin, they suspect something’s off, but show up anyway. Populated by some old friends and unknown randoms, the party’s going fine – until a dude gets bloodily knifed to death right in front of them. But guess what? It’s all a prank, set up as a test for Kristin’s new murder mystery business venture. Everything’s been meticulously planned out, actors have been hired / blackmailed, and Angela is nothing but the guinea pig. But guess what else? Someone at this soirée is full-on psycho, deciding the game is a perfect cover to slice and dice the rest of the attendees. Of course, the ones still alive assume the others are just *playing* dead…

One of hundreds of horrors produced in the late-‘90s / early-2000s to fill the second rental boom, FINAL STAB was a video store mainstay before the market collapsed. Its playful, self-aware tone recalls obviously recalls box office juggernaut SCREAM (1996)—the film was actually retitled FINAL SCREAM overseas and reportedly even more brazenly redubbed SCREAM 4: FINAL CHAPTER in some markets—but there’s also a dash of ‘80s fave APRIL FOOL’S DAY (1986) in there for the old school slasher fans, too. While I certainly won’t argue FINAL STAB is some unheralded classic of the form, I will say it’s an atmospheric endeavor whose knowledge of clichés lends it a beneficial advantage – the assumption that everything happening is just a game leads to some jarring violence, allowing the killer to get up close and personal while remaining undetected. The body count agrees. Plus there’s plenty of era-appropriate bellybutton on display, if that’s your thing.

Originally filmed in full scope, the title was acquired by City Heat Productions and Key DVD, who issued a brutally cropped, barebones edition on DVD and VHS. Thankfully, Massacre’s Blu-Ray will premiere a fresh 4K scan from the original camera negative, restoring the full intended framing for the first time ever in this country and giving the widescreen cinematography the sheen it deserves. Supplements are currently slated to include a brand new audio commentary with director DeCoteau, who I’m sure will have plenty of stories to tell about the four-day shoot. Release date is being finalized – watch this space for details!

A Cinema Arcana Exclusive © Bruce Holecheck, 2018

[​IMG]

chancetx, Angelman and Katatonia like this.
  2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I had thought Final Stab was delayed until the 25th, but mine was waiting for me today when I got home:

IMG_20190618_193415.jpg
    IMG_20190618_193427.jpg

I haven't had a chance to open it yet, but I'm hoping that 75 minute running time on the back is a typo.

I'm a little annoyed Massacre Video wanted an extra $12 just for the slipcover, considering Hack-O-Lantern, Enter The Devil, and Fiend automatically came with one. At the same time, I'm maybe a little relieved because I no longer have to be a completest when it comes to Massacre Video. The standard release doesn't even have a 4 on the side.

I'll just stick to the essentials from now on.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I rented it years ago and thought it was very average at best. But that was the Pan & Scan US DVD release, so it might work better in its full 2.35:1 ratio. I love older David DeCoteau films (and the commentaries he does for other films) but his output during this period was sketchy at best. Some were enjoyable, but many were pretty bad.

The old DVD was apparently 81 minutes...

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Mine arrived yesterday, and I popped it in and can confirm the movie is in fact 81 mins long (although it is actually 75 mins when it reaches the end credit crawl) so that's a typo on the back of both the cover and slipcase.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    gobad2003 likes this.
  5. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Watched my copy over the weekend. It was an OK movie, nothing special. It was better than Shredder - another early 2000's slasher. It's funny how most of these movies are about annoying rich people getting killed. I've yet to see a modern slasher film with poor ghetto kids as the victims. Maybe that's the point? Everybody likes to see the well-to-do die horrible deaths? lol

6. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Well, also the ghetto kids would probably hit back and the movie would be ten minutes. I've seen fistfights over a box of mac n cheese. Take it from somebody who used to sleep in parked cars and shop from dumpsters. I got mugged by stranger in an empty parking lot at knifepoint at 4am one night and the only thing the guy got was four bucks in my wallet. He didnt know about the 85 dollars in my boot, and when he was done he was so intimidated I had him apologize. Take it from someone who has been told he is "half hoodrat" that that is probably why slasher films focus on rich kids. If friday the 13th was made where I'm from, Jason would pull out the machete, everyone else in the room would pull out their knives, two people would turn their bb shotguns butt end out for clubs, and then as he backed out of the apartment slowly 2 girls and 3 guys would tell him to come back cuz he seems kinda hawt.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  7. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

LOL

Yeah, but wouldn't THAT be cool? Instead of a bunch of wusses running away from danger, tripping over tree roots and falling down staircases, you'd have gangbangers taking the fight to the bad guy! No more screaming mimi's allowing themselves to be butchered. White people don't put up much of a fight lol

8. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Actually we were mostly poor white kids! I was the token cyberpunk of the group, the rest were heshers that turned tricks, goths, potheads, and out of season carny workers, all of whom used to crash in different apartments with our pants tucked in our boots to keep from taking the roaches with us. I'm probably the only person who got nostalgic watching Gummo.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  9. CPT HOOK

^ It has been done before. Cutthroat Alley, April Fools, Leprechaun In The Hood, the recent NetFlix/Blumhouse Thriller, etc. The problem is they are all TERRIBLE!

I liked Bones, if that counts as a slasher movie. They modeled him after Freddy Kruger.

gobad2003 likes this.
  10. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

^^Don't forget the inner city street toughs from Sleepaway Camp 3 ;)

gobad2003 likes this.
  11. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Panic was hardcore, cous.

ticks-screen-5.jpg

Steel76 and MorallySound like this.
  12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Ticks rules.

Steel76 and Natas like this.
  13. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

You better believe it. DYING for a solid blu ray release.

14. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Well another blu ray release last time I looked to buy this it was going for over £100, not paying that!

Natas likes this.
  15. CPT HOOK

I'm amazed it got a blu-ray at all! I'm really glad I own that.

Although it's the rare teens-in-the-woods horror film where pretty much everyone lives. Except Panic though...

Natas likes this.
  16. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Exxxactly. If my wife found out I paid 100 bucks for a single movie......called Ticks.....starring Carlton and Seth Green, she'd stab me in the throat. Luckily it's on Prime, but I fucking love that flick and need a disc!

hots4 likes this.