Finally, an US blu of "Night of the Living Dead"

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by rxfiend, Aug 5, 2017.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The Forgotten Films blu-ray is missing a scene ("It's hot in here, hot!"). My understanding is that was trimmed in order to differentiate it from the Miramax transfer that they used for their blu-ray. That may have been corrected however and if so, it's then identical to the Happinet, Umbrella and other various blu-ray releases.

I still own all of the legitimate DVD's (even both versions of the 30th anniversary) and laserdiscs. Russell Streiner, Judith O'Dea and George Romero all signed one of my unlicensed DVD's. Mr. Streiner and I even discussed that particular DVD in detail. John Russo saw it as well (I already had his autograph).

I understand the financial disaster the trademark snafu caused to Image Ten, however it allowed for many people to see the film that otherwise wouldn't have. A $1.00 VHS caught my eye at a Caldor 30 years ago and my mother bought it for me. I was transfixed and a fan ever since. I even drove out the the Evans City cemetery twice because I love the film so damn much.

When the Criterion blu-ray preorder is live, I will buy it instantly. If the audio is indeed altered, it will collect dust along with my 30th anniversary DVD's unless the extras are exceptional. Until then, I will give the Mill Creek blu-ray a chance.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Myron Breck likes this.
  2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I have the Happinet Blu. That will suffice until Criterion gets their act together.

3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Concerning the eventual Criterion release, I'm very concerned about the tinkering with the audio that was mentioned on the 1st page--I'm going to hope that it's just bluray.com malarkey.

Nine dollars is a good deal for a decent release, but we have no way of knowing yet if it's cut or otherwise mangled. It could be a disaster, or not. I'm waiting for reviews.

4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The information appears to be sourced from a US Copyright filing:

That being said, I'd caution against drawing too many conclusions, based on language from a copyright filing. In order to establish a copyright on a restoration for a film that has fallen into the public domain, Image Ten has to establish that changes were made to the film, and the language makes it sound like they threw everything and the kitchen sink at it. Given the involvement of the Museum of Modern Art, the Film Foundation and Janus Films, in this restoration, I would expect the changes themselves are actually much more subtle than the copyright document makes them sound.

5. zbinks

X-human and Nailwraps like this.
  6. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Wow. Are the Mill Creek stills pulled from the Blu Ray? A 2K scan from what? A VHS master?

Is it me? Those look awful.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

About all that can be said for Millcreek over the Happinet release is that it's more open framed. But that can't even be said over the Elite DVD. I'd rather watch the Elite DVD.

Millcreek took their transfer from a theatrical print. Which takes a whole 'nother set of tweaks to get up to snuff than original elements and a lot trickier. But will always fall drastically shorter than those original elements. Just not something in Millcreek's wheel house. My only hope for the Millcreek would have been a true "drive-in experience" (like say the unrestored White Zombie transfer) but it looks to fall short of even that expectation.

And no I don't recommend the Forgotten Films or even the Happinet release for that matter simply because an Image Ten release is a given. Criterion or not. It will come from the original elements. It's thee best shot. I bought the German Blu-ray mostly because it included a bonus documentary about the NotLD REMAKE that didn't make it to its own release. Not even sure watch source it was taken from.

About the changes in sound effects for the 4k restoration, I'm trying to find the interview with George A. Romero where he talks about it but I'm not finding it again. He mentioned the gut wrenching decision is was for him to make because he wanted a warts and all approach. In the end he agreed to them, and a big part of the rational was that it was adding audio to gun shots seen on screen that are simply missing the sound effect. It's not a revision of what happens in the movie and was done so that it matched the sounds in the rest of the film. I think he even says it's seamless to him now. But I'd have to find that interview. Others have said similar things so my memory can't be too far off, but I'd want to find that interview.

Myron Breck likes this.
  8. zbinks

I'm not finding the article, either, but I thought it was the other way around about the warts and all approach, with Romero wanting to fix certain things that have long bothered him about the film and having to be talked out of it by the restoration team.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Ha, I guess we really need to find that interview then. :D

10. zbinks

I think I found the article I was thinking of:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ero-says-brad-pitt-killed-zombie-genre-942559

...and regarding the audio changes:

https://www.theverge.com/2016/11/4/13517892/night-of-the-living-dead-restored-moma-4k-george-romero

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/watch-...spiffing-up-the-zombie-classic-171134370.html

Myron Breck likes this.
  11. Myron Breck

Thanks, zbinks. I can stop wringing my hands over this, I hope.

12. zbinks

13. Myron Breck

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

So the Mill Creek disc sucks. Surprise surprise.

Easy pass. Fingers crossed for a Criterion release.

~Matt

15. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Will also Wait for the Criterion release

16. zbinks

Matt89 likes this.
  17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

To be fair, that is their theatrical distribution's formats available. If all else fails, they show must go on, so put in a Blu-ray or DVD. It doesn't literally mean there will be a Criterion Blu-ray release, nor that the screenshots reflect an eventual transfer on said release.

But there almost certainly will be a Criterion discs. And it almost certainly will come from the same master those screenshots came from. And hopefully Criterion won't screw up the transfer off that master. They've been known to goof now and again. And they mostly get away with it when they do. So I hope they get it right the first time.

Workshed and zbinks like this.
  18. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

fceurich39 likes this.
  19. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys