First look at Rob Zombie's version of Michael Myers

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by broadwayrock, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Damn that's fast.

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Less than 4 months, wow.

3. Slow

Slow Guest

That's actually pretty standard for movies now not extra fast at all.

I mean the movie made 31 million dollars over the labor day weekend, it's not hurting for box office

4. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

lets hope the scenes from the workprint such as alternate kills and ending will be on the dvd as extras or even a director's cut

5. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

fceurich39, what is the genesis of your hatred of punctuation?

6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

My thoughts on the film.

First 10 mins. I was like what the f am I watching!? Zombie trying to be Tarrantino but with ridiculous amounts of swearing and totally offensive dialog. It worked in his previous films, but for a Halloween film it just didn't feel right. that and the acting was pretty bad, especially for Sherri Moon, although that might have been because the dialog was so badly written.

At this point I was scared, and had lost all hope for Zombie making a good film out of it. Then Zombie made me realize how incredible of a director he is with the killings of his sister, step dad, and her boyfriend. WOW! That scene was so intense. the way it was shot with barely any music. Blew me away. From then on he kinda convinced me he knew what hew was doing. And I think the rest of the origin part of the movie was pretty great. I didn't even mind how quirky they made Dr. Loomis

Finally the ending, aka. remake of Halloween. I thought this was done pretty good, if not great. It just seemed like the first movie in fast forward. You didn't get to know the characters to really feel much for any of them, although Laurie finding Danielle Harris half dead was a powerful scene. And I do like how they changed a few things, like the scene in the basement where Michael shows her the picture and she doesn't understand what he is talking about. I also like how they killed off Loomis and Michael, although they could easily make a sequel with both of them still alive as it doesn't really show Loomis die. It looks like he just knocked him out and carry drag his body. And Michael although it looks like he got shot in the face, you never actually see the shot.

Overall I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. I just don't think it really felt like a Halloween film. I think Zombie could have just done an original slasher film about a killer that wears various masks, and it would have been more interesting. Also, I think Zombie needs to stop writing his scripts. I think some of his lines aren't funny, but most of it just seems like it's forced. it makes the acting look worse, which isn't a good thing when the acting isn't great in the first place. He is an amazing director when it comes to action and violence though, so it would be nice to see what he could do with an awesome script.

And and for all these Zombie haters. And it being the worst movie, worst acting, ect. Are you kidding me!? Stop being pretentious horror snobs and enjoy a horror film for what it is, sheer brutal fun. Horror fans are turning into the movie snobs who used to review Friday and Nightmare movies in the 80s and complain about how they had nothing positive about them, horrible acting and brutal violence. Well yeah... and I wouldn't have it any other way!

7. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Oh, and as for the work print, what is different between the two? I thought someone posted a site that had all the differences, but when I flipped through this forum I couldn't seem to find it. And the ending has been taken down from You Tube.

The only thing I heard so far was that
    Danny Trejo's character survives. I guess that would make sense in some ways, as I thought that was what was going to happen. But I liked that it went against what you would expect. It also shows that Michael is pure evil, with no emotion whatsoever. Well Except for his love for his sister, which changes pretty quickly. Michael must just be schizophrenic, as his mood changed pretty quickly as well when he killed the nurse.

8. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

no hatred at all

9. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

"Secret Post!" :p

10. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

see what i think is that michael kills everyone who was cruel to him or "failed him" as Loomis puts it. he didn't wanna kill laurie at first, but then she stabbed him and it was like "fuck this shit, she's just like everyone else so i'll kill her now". as for the nurse, in the workprint, she picks up the pic of him and laurie and says "cute baby, she couldn't be related to you." for some reason, and a dumb one, they didn't have that last line in the theatrical version. they should've kept it in there, cos it kinda gave him reason to kill her since she was being a bitch

11. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Nice. It sounds like the work print would clear up a lot of things that didn't make sense in the theatrical version. Hopefully most of them will be included in the DVD in some form or another.

12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

IMO Zombie mocked Halloween and John Carpenter. I'm sure Carpenter was paid well from this remake, so I doubt he really cares. They screw around with the pure evil issue. Sure they bring it up in the movie but it totally contradicts the first half of the movie. Can't have it both ways.

What Zombie did in this film was an unscary, unthrilling movie. We get it, a ugly kid thats gets picked on, goes nutso. Who cares. Couldn't care less about any of the characters. Let alone the stupid kid, who it took over 45 minutes to get to grown up Michael. Half the time you couldn't tell which house they were in. The last part was all rushed.

On the mocking issue. Zombie "recreation" of scenes were just that. One example(there were many) The girls walking home from school. Original movie, michael in the car, was scary , strange and you can tell the characters were unsettled and wary. This time you have michael with mask on in broad daylight a mere 30 feet away in the the middle of the street, while the girls taunt him. Then he walks away. Pure mockery of the first movie. It was like I was watching "Scary Movie"

How did you like the police car with its flashers on, down the street a few houses away, yet they pull up to the wrong house and wander around like where is everybody. Why would you go to house that the cops first responded to where Laurie and the kids were. Why would you? Very very funny.

P.S. - Zombie tally. 3 movies = 3 rapes = we know where your head's at Rob. I'm starting to grow tired of him.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

How did he learn how to drive?

14. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Pure Evil can't be bothered with/is too cool for Driver's Ed!

Get out of here with such silly!

15. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I guess that was the scary part baggio was referring to ;)

16. ThievingWinona

ThievingWinona New Member

There's actually dialogue in the original where the head of Smith's Grove says something to the effect of "for god's sake he doesn't even know how to drive a car" and Loomis says something like "well he was doing a good job last night!"

:)

17. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Not really very hard to figure out an "Automatic" if you've seen somebody drive one before.

18. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

MAYBE SOMEBODY AROUND HERE GAVE HIM LESSONS.

19. rhett

rhett Administrator

Two years ago I probably would have been really offended watching this, but after the offensive abomination that is THE DEVIL'S REJECTS, anything can be seen as an improvement. I'm sure all the critics who sang the film praise (seemingly forgetting what a pile CORPSES was too) are now eating their words now that the cat is out of the bag with HALLOWEEN. This isn't offensive (although we probably have studio intervention to thank for that if the rape scene is as everyone claims) and certainly isn't scary, it's just one big laughable waste of time. I don't know how anyone can read the "Love Hurts" montage, or the slow motion shot of fatkid Michael running down the hallway as anything but all out parody. I've seen SUPERBAD and that's still the funniest stuff I've seen all year.

I wasn't even against the film in principle at all. Dimension polished a turd with an effective trailer, and the idea of exploring Michael's back story sounded to me a nice thing to do without stepping on the heels of the first. Rob Zombie is just such an immature and idiotic filmmaker though, he shouldn't have even tried to take on that sort of depth. The guy is like Tarantino in Grade 4, drawing attention to all his dialogue and peppering it with as many swears to try to make it sound edgier than it seems. He can't generate real fear, so he'll just fucking tell you how fucking tough he really fucking is. THE DEVIL'S REJECTS proved flat out that he was a misogynist, and here the dialogue just laughably reinstates that not only does Zombie hold no respect for women, but he also can't write for them worth a lick. Little reserved Laurie Strode, after stating she finds a neighbour to be a pervert, then goes to reenact supposed sexual actions by using bagels(?) as breasts while spouting off the most vulgar descriptions possible. I'd ask what he was thinking, but he clearly isn't. This is what horror fans wanted to see from our favorite protagonist? Really?

The movie looks like it were shot by kids (indeed it feels written by them), always shaky and often out of focus. Zombie seems to forget (probably because he didn't get it in the first place) that what made Carpenter's original so scary was how classical it was presented. The camera was fixed or glided without notice with the killer always lurking or filling up the shrouded portions of the wide 2.35 frame. It's a film about the menace that lurks behind the seeming calm and order of middle class America, and the style shows that. Here there's very little watching, instead with shaky extreme close-ups and overwhelming brutality (not in terms of gore, because there's hardly any, but in terms of showing Michael stabbing something ten times rather than once). There's a single shot where Michael pulls Laurie back inside the house where the camera lingers outside, and that's probably the closest Zombie's version comes to approximating the middle class art that Carpenter's achieved. That it ripped off the same shot in THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE is, of course, a given with Zombie.

There is so much wrong with this movie, but really, it's hard to get past how terrible of a writer Zombie is. The dialogue thankfully isn't as self-conscious and monologue based as REJECTS, but it's definitely worse. It's not just that it's thousands of times more vulgar than it needs to be, it's that every character talks the exact same (like I am sure Rob Zombie does, or at least wants to), so it's impossible to see anyone as actual characters. You'd think this wouldn't be tough, since Debra Hill already made us affectionate for the three female leads of the original through her lovably trivial girl girl banter. Yet everyone here, even Danielle Harris, who has even more built in pathos, is nothing more than a Zombie cut-out. When nobody is a character, then every death (and there are way to many) is without circumstance. It's just repetitive.

Even in the singular moment when Zombie tries to inject in the film some scrambling sort of social commentary, where Laurie's dad talks about how FACELESS (omg like Michael) corporations are taking over America it's so on-the-nose obvious (and stupid, too) that it only further demonstrates his ineptitude. Or perhaps I am not giving Zombie enough credit, maybe in his "faceless" monologue he is really explaining himself and his bastardizing of one of horror's undisputed masterpieces.

I didn't know how anyone could like THE DEVIL'S REJECTS, and I still don't know how anyone can like this, but I don't know how anyone can hate this new HALLOWEEN either. It's just so immature, such a worthless little movie, that it can't possibly beg to be taken seriously. It's like some little fan movie you can find on a search on YouTube. You close the page and forget about it.

As if Rob Zombie didn't prove himself a moron through his movies, he confirms it himself with this gem of a quote from a magazine interview given during press for HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES:

Q: How do you feel about big budget remakes of Dawn of the Dead and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

Zombie: I feel it's the worst thing any filmmaker can do. I actually got a call from my agent and they asked me if I wanted to be involved with the remake of Chainsaw. I said no fucking way! Those movies are perfect - you're only going to make yourself look like an asshole by remaking them. Go remake something that's a piece of shit and make it good. Like with my movie (House of 1000 Corpses) I have elements of Chainsaw in it because I love that movie so much, but I wouldn't dare want to "remake" it. It's like a band trying to be another band. You can sound like The Beatles, but you can't be The Beatles.

And Rob - you don't even sound like John Carpenter.

20. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Actually I noticed that as well. It bothered me that everyone had to talk like that in the movie. I can see Mikey and his family being that way cause they were portrayed as white trash, but did almost every other character in the flick have to be that way? In fact, the only characters that I remember talking "clean" were Laurie's parents...maybe that's why I felt a little sad for them. Ok that evil corporation rant was lame, but ah well I still liked the parents and I mostly liked Laurie when she was with them. Much easier I guess to feel attachment for people who remind me of my background (more or less), or at least people who seem to be good and caring. Maybe I wouldn't have felt as emotionally disconnected with the film as I did if Zombie had've had more likable characters.