First look at Rob Zombie's version of Michael Myers

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by broadwayrock, Feb 25, 2007.

1. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Found this posted elsewhere on the net, about the additions/changes in the DC:

- Judith says eggs are chicken abortions.
    - Extra shot of Michael walking into the bathroom.
    - Principal: "Fuck me?" He grabs Michael.
    - More dialogue between Deborah and the Principal.
    - New shot of Loomis walking down the hallway, before meeting Mrs. Myers and the principal.
    - Longer close-up of the bully on the ground, dying.
    - Steve twitches after he's knocked down by the baseball bat.
    - Judith takes a few more seconds to die.
    - An establishing shot of a reporter in front of the Smith's Grove sign -- we see him on camera starting the news footage immediately after "Smith's Grove. Eleven months later."
    - Occasional black-and-white 'Loomis diaries' are intercut into their sessions.
    - New scene of Loomis and Michael across the table from each other, neither speaking.
    - "I have nothing left to say" scene is back in... but it cuts before the actual line. The scene is extended at the beginning, with Loomis worrying he'll be taken off the case.
    - "Cute baby, couldn't be related to you" is back.
    - Noel goes on a rant to Danny Trejo about hard-working Mexicans.
    - Noel to Michael: "Don't look at me, you big long-haired psycho. I'll come in here and fuck this place up, you just watch."
    - After Loomis tells Michael he's leaving, he stands up, sadly pats him on the shoulder, and says, "Take care, Michael. Take care."
    - Loomis leaves the sanitarium and looks back, forebodingly.
    - Loomis' book lecture is extended.
    - The rape is back in (and more graphic than the workprint), the guard massacre is out.
    - Added Joe Grizzly line: "What we have here is a failure to communicate."
    - Added intro to Mr. and Mrs. Strode.
    - Laurie fingers the bagel.
    - Added lines as Mason leaves the house.
    - Michael smells the folder Laurie drops off.
    - Loomis meets Udo Kier and Clint Howard in an office, watching a security tape of Michael escaping.
    - Extended dialogue during the second Udo/Howard scene (from the t-cut): "Where exactly is he going?" "Haddonfield!" "Haddonfield is a hundred miles away from here!" (which begs the question... if Michael can't drive, how the fuck did he get to Haddonfield in like six hours?)
    - Michael stalks Laurie home. There's a GREAT shot of him walking behind trees, following her.
    - Laurie helps Mrs. Strode fix a paper skeleton. Michael watches. Heavy breathing. Very Carpenter.
    - Extended intro to graveyard scene. Loomis tries to call Sheriff Brackett, but can't get a signal.
    - After the end of the graveyard scene, the screen blacks out and a title card comes up: "TRICK ORTREAT."
    - Next shot is a new close-up of Michael watching Bob and Lynda pull into the Myers house driveway.
    - Lynda insults Bob, saying he's broke.
    - Bob's death is extended a little. Michael does the full head tilt before leaving.
    - Full frontal Lynda shot. Important to the plot, I'm sure. Ahem.
    - Extended shots of the princess trick-or-treaters.
    - Laurie's talk with her parents is longer. Mason Strode says it's amateur night.
    - Laurie makes Tommy a sandwich before the boogeyman conversation.
    - Laurie throws a potato chip at Tommy after "For the both of us."
    - Tommy gives Laurie a really funny look when Annie dry-humps her.
    - Loomis' speech in Brackett's office is extended.
    - "Laurie I would like to return to the subject we started earlier this evening." "What, your hatred of peanut butter?" "No, the boogeyman! I need some closure on this topic!"
    - New scene of Laurie telling Lindsey it's time to go, then joking with Tommy.
    - New shots as Laurie runs across the street from Michael.
    - Laurie yells "You motherfucker!" when she stabs Michael in the basement.
    - The editing of Laurie in the pool is different. Michael paces, considering his next move.
    - Extra shot of Loomis being dragged post head crush.
    - LOOMIS IS ALIVE. He grabs Michael's leg to try and keep him away from Laurie. Michael kicks free and continues after her.
    - Michael sees Laurie climb into the vent. No needless "she makes a sound so he can hear" bit.

2. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Got the director's cut today. Still a flawed film, but a huge improvement over both the workprint and the theatrical cut.

3. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I picked up both DC and TC discs. The TC was dual sided with widescreen on one and full frame on the other. I've read this film was shot 1.85 but cropped to 2.35 for theatrical release. So I was curious to see how the full screen version came out. Well to my surprise, it looks like they took their full screen transfer from a Super35 negative, thus no actual 2.35 scope image. Check out some comparison pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, more image at the top and bottom of the frame.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  4. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Fuck I got the uncut version and I think I actually want the Theatrical cut. Main reason: I WANT THE GUARD MASSACRE SCENE WITH THE DEVIL'S REJECTS!!! :mad:

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

If it's true that it was shot in 1.85 and then matted to 2.35, then I won't even consider buying this unless they re-release it in it's full un-matted 1.85 widescreen image. By far the most obnoxious thing I found about the movie in the theater is the severe lack of headroom with foreheads being chopped in every other frame. Then again, I think the movie stinks so they'll only be saving me money if they don't. But as it is, I won't even buy it for $5.00 in a budget bin just so I can complete the franchise.

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I can see where you are coming from a cameo point of view but I think it completely takes you out of the movie and the escape scene itself is ridiculous.

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Watched the director's cut last night. I liked it.

8. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

If that's true, why can I see a wider shot in the 2.35 frames? Take the shot with Loomis for example. Why can I see the other side of the guy's neck? Or how about the William Forsythe shot. I can the the entire blender in the background in the wider shot.

9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Both the full screen and widescreen releases have been compromised by being matted. The full screen is missing left and right info and the widescreen is missing top and bottom. Neither one is optimal, imho.

10. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Well, the full screen at least provides more snatch :D

11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

More ridiculous than the rape scene in Michael's room? :p

12. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Sure I would think that was more believable then him being superman.

13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

There's plenty in my 2:35.1 copy of the movie. Moreso than what I remember from the theatre, I don't remember any lady-bits from when I saw it in the theatre, just breasts. But my copy of the DVD has it.

14. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Well then I can't help you. [​IMG]

"I, I ,I shot him six times! He's not human! I shot him six times!"
    - Doctor Sam Loomis

I dunno, maybe not faster than a speeding bullet but he sure can take a few - six no less. :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  15. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

The unrated version does show full frontal nudity. It's the theatrical version that didn't, at least the WS version as the FF version definitely does.

16. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I have a lot to say about this film, but need to get my thoughts together. I watched it last night and didn't hate it, but it had a lot of problems for me!!

17. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

Zombie's Halloween was shot Super-35, so the original negative would have been in an aspect ratio of either 1.37:1 or 1.78:1, and then cut down to the desired aspect ratio.

So the widescreen image and fullscreen image will each show visual information that the other won't. The fullscreen image will show additional information at the top and bottom of the image, while showing less on the sides. The widescreen image will show less information at the top and bottom, but more on the sides. Unlike an unmatted 1.85:1 film, the amount of information shown and its placement will vary from shot-to-shot.

18. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I'm all sorts of confused now. I thought that shot of full frontal was from the DC and not in the theater cut, but it must be in the theater cut since there is no FF DC, yet there's a screenshot of it.:confused:

19. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I posted screenshots from the Theatrical cut. In my post, I was pointing out that you get more info at the top and bottom of the frame with the FS transfer (proving it was shot Super35 rather than scope), thus in the one shot, more female nudity is present. Now in the directors cut, there is an extra shot that does show full frontal in the 2.35 ratio.

20. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I can't find the Rated version ANYWHERE!!!! WTF?!?!

PS: I just paid over $30 online for the scene with the Devil's Rejects :p

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007