First Look: HALLOWEEN 30TH ANNIVERSARY BOX

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 11, 2008.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Anchor Bay has handled a number of HALLOWEEN properties over the years, and more than a celebration of the 30th anniversary of Carpenter’s classic, it’s a commemoration of all the work (and re-work and re-work) Anchor Bay has done for the granddaddy of all slasher franchises. The 30TH ANNIVERSARY COMMEMORATIVE SET streets this Tuesday, and we’ve got the first look.

For those that haven’t been frantically buying the HALLOWEEN films as they’ve been released and re-released since 1997, then here’s a no brainer: Buy this box set! You get the best possible DVD versions of HALLOWEEN, HALLOWEEN 4 and HALLOWEEN 5, a fans wet dream in HALLOWEEN: 25 YEARS OF TERROR, the impressive EXTENDED CUT of the first film (with additional TV scenes) and for those wary of making the jump to the blue disc, HALLOWEEN on Blu-ray. All that for $71.08 from e-tailers like DVD Empire. Considering that’s the only way to get the extended cut, and you get a Blu-ray upgrade out of it, it’s the right way to go if you’re a wet behind the knife HALLOWEEN buff.

inline Image inline Imageinline Image

And I haven’t even mentioned the bust figure. In a return to the Anchor Bay of yore, not only does this set have a special gimmick in the bust, but it’s also numbered out of 20,000. Since tins are still going today, this probably wouldn’t be a bad investment. Enough about that though – the bust. Okay, first impression: It’s rubber?! Yeah, what looks like a top of the line clay end piece for your DVD collection is actually an inflated rubber mold. But it’s a nicely detailed and painted little piece of rubber, and actually looks quite solid. Behind the included clear plastic slipcase, you’d never be able to tell otherwise. The neat thing, though, is that the mold is built into the casing and looks sharp boxed with the foregrounded HALLOWEEN logo. It’s not like the SAW headpiece that feels glued on – this is actually an attractive stand alone unit.

The other interesting thing about the packaging is how the single amaray DVD case (which supports all six discs), fits into an easily accessible and quality made jacket. There’s a space to pop it open on the back, and it just folds out, with some nice glossy artwork on both the inside and outside of the jacket. There’s nice artwork all over, mostly old production stills that were used on the old postcards found before in the HALLOWEEN: LIMITED EDITION set. The case that holds all the discs has good space allocation and doesn’t feel cramped at all. It’s a quick and space saving way to have all six discs masquerading as a single disc. Take it out, put it with your collection, and keep the mask bust to put beside your PHANTASM SPHERE or TREMORS box sets on the top of your mantle.

How are the discs themselves? We haven’t yet covered the Blu-ray (expect that on a topical day a few weeks down the road), but every other disc has already been covered at length previously on the site. Here are the individual links

Halloween: Limited Edition [the Theatrical & Extended cuts included in this set]
    Halloween 4: Divimax Edition
    Halloween 5: Divimax Edition
    Halloween: 25 Years of Terror

In a nutshell though, on their own each release is excellent and well worth it for slasher fans.

Most people here probably already own iterations of all these DVDs, and in that case this is a harder sell. The bust, even if it is rubber, is still undeniably flashy, the packaging all quality and the limited numbering a perk. If you’re trying to save shelf space, the single case will do you well, too. Including the original film on both DVD and Blu-ray seems a cost prohibitive redundancy, so for most fans the high price tag will not be worth it. If you’re new to the series though, or a die hard fan though, you’ll be more than happy with this set. Those black eyes looming over the top of your DVD shelf means nobody will mess with your collection anytime soon, either!

The HALLOWEEN: 30TH ANNIVERSARY COMMEMORATIVE SET has an MSRP of $89.97 and streets Tuesday, October 14th, 2008. The set includes the following:

• Halloween DVD [Original Restored version]
    • Halloween: Extended Cut DVD
    • Halloween 4: Divimax Special Edition DVD
    • Halloween 5: Divimax Special Edition DVD
    • Halloween: 25 Years of Terror DVD [Behind the scenes]
    • Halloween Blu-ray

Attached Files:

2. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

3. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Already own the individual discs, don't have a blu-ray player, the mask looks terrible. Lame.

I'd much rather have special editions of H2, 3, 6 & 7 than this.

4. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

5. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Hey Rhettster did you actually buy this? :hum:

6. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

The Micheal Myers mask looks like Will Forte from SNL, whom I can't stand. I already have the Blu Ray of this so there's no legit reason for me to get this.

7. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

Agreed, that mask is hideous.

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Nope, I just wouldn't pay the money for it. I have all of the discs including the old 2-disc LE with the extended cut.

9. Stige

Stige Active Member

SIGH, was hoping for more for the 30th AE. of this , already have all the discs (including the bluray , you guys pushed me over the end , bought a full HD 42 and bluray player)

so I guess it's a no buy

10. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Same here. This set doesn't offer anything worthy for me to triple dip.

11. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

I would love to just own the extended cut on disc but dont think they will release that seperatly.I do have a fan edit of Halloween 1 and 2 with the extended scenes in there though.Pretty cool little edit of the movies for HALLOWEEN nuts.

Sean

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Pass.

13. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

Pass.

I already own the 2-Disc Limited Edition from 1999, Halloween 4 Divimax, Halloween 5 Divimax, the 25 Years of Terror Documentary, and the Halloween BD.

Why no BD editions of Halloween 4 and 5? And what happened with all of that alternate footage/alternate takes of the original Halloween that Don May found a year or two ago? Anchor Bay/Starz really could have made this 30th Anniversary worthwhile, but instead...it's an epic fail.

14. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I am one of the few who is still waiting to buy Halloween 1/4/5 (which irritates me every year around October) on DVD, and I was going to break down had it had Don May footage and H4/5 on BD.

Since it doesn't, we'll have a 31ST ANNIVERSARY BOX SET WITH DR. LOOMIS BALD CAP, so fuck it.

15. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Pass.
    I just started buying BR. My first buys were SALO (UK), TCM, FIRST BLOOD and CLOCKWORK ORANGE btw. I would be interested in a HALLOWEEN BR. But why should I buy a box with all the rest DVDs I am not interested in? Also, fuck Anchor Bay. They have milked Haloween and Evil Dead to no end and it gets on my nerves.

16. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

This is silly. I may get the BD eventually, but no need for another set of these films. I have 25 Years of Terror, and I think it sucks. Too much information jumbled around. Not a coherent documentary at all.

17. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

No Sale - Just bought the solo Blu-Ray, and have all the other stuff already for the most part.

18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Fuck that.

~Matt

19. Spit

Spit Active Member

Wait...so the official 30th anniversary Halloween box set doesn't include Halloween 2 and 3? WTF? I suppose its some ownership rights thing.

I'm the sort of person who could use a box set like this. I've only got a few of these scattered on random tapes I made off TV years ago. Unfortunately, I think I'll pass on this and wait till a more complete box set comes out.

20. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

Anchor Bay/Starz only has the rights to H1, H4, and H5.

Universal owns Halloween II and Halloween III: Season of the Witch. Dimension owns parts 6, 7, and 8. Weinstein Co. has the 2007 Rob Zombie film.

And Boo,

LOL at that 2009 31st Anniversary Set w/ Dr. Loomis Bald Cap. That's probably not far off the mark. :lol:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008