First Look: PHENOMENA and TENEBRE

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, May 22, 2008.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Creepers was 82 minutes, this one clocks in at 110 minutes, like the previous disc, which I believe was uncut. Even if there is some weird eclectic scene missing, it still definitely wouldn't qualify as a "heavily cut" version. So start saving up! :)

2. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I REALLY envy you. It's a powerful experience.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

As I recall, Rhett - the first kill (head through glass at waterfall) was very very grainy in the last release. Fixed here?

4. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I guess I was just confused on previously issued R1 discs. I thought Phenomena had only been released in the U.S. as Creepers and I knew it was a heavily edited cut, so I waited for an uncut version to view for my first time. Now that I know this is the full length film, I plan on checking it out.

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

I threw in PHENOMENA before I went to bed last night, and made it just past that scene before I threw in the towel. No grain issues at all - it looked great. I'll be sure to take a cap of that for the review though and compare it with my copy of the old AB disc.

6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I also need to pick up this box set as I too haven't seen Tenebre, Phenomena or any of the other movies in the set. Deep Red and Suspiria are two of my favourite horror films though, with Inferno, Crystal Plumage and Opera right behind. Two Evil Eyes and Cat O' Nine Tails weren't as good, but still worth watching. So, there is now way I will be disappointed with this box set as Argento is 7 for 7 in my books.

7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

So, you'll be doing reviews of both discs eventually?

That's all I needed to hear. That's what I can't wait for.

8. blood vamp

blood vamp Guest

Why hasnt Blue Underground released remastered prints of these two the way they did all the other anchor bay horror titles? If they did, maybe we would see subtitles in english along with the italian mono track. Im wondering if a few months down the road, BU will do these after everyone has picked up these new reissues. Anybody else see that as a possibility?

9. rhett

rhett Administrator

You wouldn't want an Italian track for PHENOMENA since it was shot in English and its two leads speak it as a first language. Blue Underground hasn't done anything with their Anchor Bay Argento reissues - Deep Red is still maddeningly incomplete and without a proper theatrical cut, Suspiria still has the audio issues and Inferno is still the same bare bones disc as it always was. So even if Blue Underground did put them out (they won't, since Anchor Bay owns the rights), I wouldn't hold my breath for anything worthwhile.

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

What's the audio issue with Suspiria?

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

OMG!

Where's Chaoster? :lol:

12. rhett

rhett Administrator

Dwatts, I had the waterfall kill confused with the other window kill with the spear through the face. The waterfall one is still grainy as all hell, but I imagine that's how it will always look, since it was shot at 340 fps, and the only way something like that could be accommodated then was with high grain film stock. Still, it's an improvement. I'm almost done here.

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Thanks for checking it out, Rhett. I was curious, because that one scene looks very out of place and odd in the film due to the sudden drop in quality.

I won't be buying this set, because the onyl title I don't have is Hitchcock - Phenomena isn't a favorite (though I ended up giving it a very favorable review at the time). Tenebrae is the one I want, and if it's complete and a bit cleaned up could well be a single disc upgrade.

Still - what we want is a blu-ray release - would love AB to speak up on that one.

14. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

DVDBeaver has some comparisons up. According to them it seems that Tenebre offers very little in the way of picture improvement, while Phenomena is more noticeable (but not much).

Tenebre

Phenomena

Starting to think I might hold off on upgrading these for now.

15. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Ouch. Scratch that then. Tenebrae isn't improved by the looks of it. A new hi-def master will be our only hope it seems.

16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

The quality of both dvd's don't look that good at all. What a shame:(

17. rhett

rhett Administrator

Here's my review:

Phenomena

What the screenshots don't show on the Beaver is that the new progressive transfer just looks a hell of a lot sharper than the old interlaced disc, in addition to the anamorphic enhancement. It's a pretty noticeable jump if you've got even a decent sized television.

18. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Don't you do your reviews on a relatively small set, Rhett?

19. rhett

rhett Administrator

No, I review on my 50" Wega, but I usually just throw movies at leisure on my old 28" in my bedroom.

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Gotcha.

Yeah, anamorphic should help with larger screens, tis true.

The main issue here is Blu-Ray. My concerns about large picture quality are addressed far better with a nice hi-def master. Is an upgrade to an SD release worht it at this time?

Understand - Tenebrae is my favorite Argento, so this isn't something to be taken lightly. However, I'm going to hold off for the Blu-Ray release. I'm not willing to pay again for an Anamorphic flag when the image doesn't look terribly different. When a Blu-Ray version comes along, I'll be all over that!