Flash Gordon (1980) new 4K restoration from Studio Canal

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by satans-sadists, May 8, 2020.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

What's Mondo's RAD poster? They did make a Flash Gordon but it's expensive now on ebay. But you can get it separate. I bet poster collectors are fairly picky about matching numbers on this sort of thing though. The guy that did this one did their recent Star Wars poster. Flash Gordon and Star Wars posters would be a nice setup for sci-fi fans. But they need to give this treatment to some horror movies. They just can't seem to add the characters to the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street posters.

flash gordon.jpg

That gold poster does look nice. But it does look a bit like one of the official posters that I recall.

Katatonia likes this.
  2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, my Flash Gordon Mondo Steelbook has that left-side artwork:

[​IMG]

I never got the print though...

The RAD print from Mondo was this: https://mondoshop.com/products/rad-screenprinted-poster

[​IMG]

...it sold out within 1 minute of going live, so I was beyond lucky to score one just in the nick of time. It already sells for a small fortune on ebay by pre-order scalpers.

3. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I never heard of RAD before. I probably missed it in Mondo's weekly blog that I check when the name wasn't familiar.

I did notice that the Star Wars and Flash Gordon posters would make an even better display than I thought, as they have kind of similar imagery with the circle part near the center and prominent bad guy.

star wars mondo poster.jpg

I thought Mondo quick sellouts almost stopped as I haven't seen many consistent great posters from them in years. I didn't have much trouble getting their last Creature from the Black Lagoon poster.

[​IMG]

I knew the foil version of that Star Wars would be a quick seller though because it's Star Wars and a foil poster. The normal was an open timed edition. The artist is going to finally make Creature from the Black Lagoon so if that is foil too I expect it to be a quick seller.

Another sci-fi kind of horror movie I just watched was Ex Machina. Mondo made a special poster for that which is expensive now.

Scalpers count on the quick after sellout sell to make their money. But if it's something really special it pays to get it early. If Mondo does make all three Star Wars posters in foil, then the three will easily go for $1000+ when every thing settles.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Surprisingly, or just coincidentally, I received both the 4K UHD set from Amazon UK today and also my pre-order of the Arrow "Limited Edition" 4K UHD.

I do have to say that the UK box is far cooler looking, having gold foil elements on the front/spine/back. The Arrow chipboard box looks okay, just rather plain in comparison. The UK box also has the 3 separate booklets, the Flash patch, different poster and different art cards.

The 4K discs in both sets are BD-100's, so I highly doubt there is much difference at all between those as they were apparently encoded by the same team. The Arrow disc actually is around 85gb where the UK disc is more like 76gb — but the Arrow release includes all of the bonus features on the 4K disc also, so that almost surely explains the disc size difference.

The UK set does include the added 2 Blu-rays (3 if you count the Life After Flash doc, all are region B locked) and the CD Soundtrack. If you also need the new Blu-rays, you have to buy the separate Arrow editions — so the UK set has that going for it as long as you are region free.

Curiously, there is a big difference in the Life After Flash Blu-ray included in both sets. The UK disc from StudioCanal is only a BD-25 disc with absolutely no bonus features on the disc at all. The Arrow US disc is a BD-50 disc and includes a ton of bonus features for the documentary.

So I really don't regret getting both editions at all. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. The UK set is already long sold out now, although some could show up for sale again...who knows.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Been watching the Arrow blu tonight (don't have UHD yet, and I thought about the full package and decided I just wasn't going to do anything with all that extra swag except take up room storing it).

I very quickly made the judgement I'm keeping the previous Universal blu, flaws and all.

The first, almost forgivable problem, is the sheer amount of grain in the Arrow disk. There are many, many scenes where a pause shows large areas, such as sections of walls, that look like a collection of dots. Grain on effects shots is understandable, on static physical sets it should be less of a problem and easier to cleanly correct. I appreciate grain and despise over zealous DNR, but this was a definite step backward. And it wasn't to the benefit of sharpness in other areas. An example, as the Flash trio enter the inner palace upon first arriving and the massive door shuts behind them, on the Universal disk you can clearly see the smudges, stains, and discolorations from the paint job on the door and what look like dirty water splashes. Its looks like the props department pulled it off the side of a well used barn and only cursorily wiped it down. Its an amusing gaff, but its crystal clear clarity gaff. On the Arrow disk its tough to distinguish what is actual door discolorations and what is grain effect, the details almost lost.

But the main issue is color emphasis, particularly red. Its so strong it drowns out details, sometimes to the point they're impossible to distinguish. First glaring example, the memorable attack by Ming on the airplane pilots. In the Universal blu the appearance of Ming in the approaching cloud right before the windshield shatters is distinct and clear. Earlier DVDs obviously showed it was Ming in the cloud, although with lesser distinctness. In the Arrow blu, its just a washed out red and pink cloud, nothing visible in it at all. Second example, the rocket taking off from Zarkov's lab. In the Universal blu the lab, greenhouse, crashed plane are all distinct and clear, to the point that they're being miniatures is obvious. In the Arrow blu, it looks like its all being viewed through a pink fog bank, and the flash from the rocket is overly glaring.

There are definite moments where the Arrow disk shines. When color emphasis isn't blurring things, there are sporadic scenes where the details are stunningly crisp. Mostly involving shots of people. But then a scene of grain or red overload follows, including on the previously exemplary shown people, slightly blurring their clarity and giving a (color) wash out look to their faces that approaches early era DVD quality. It is very, very hit and miss with far too many misses.

I hope the UHD stands up better, particularly for those that bought it and spent a fair bit doing so. But I consider the Blu a well intended failure.

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

From what I've seen and heard with other release it seems a lot of these 4k transfers are made specifically with HDR in mind so when porting them down to bluray the colours can look over-saturated and janky. I'd imagine the 4k disc has much better colour reproduction. I know with Suspiria this was the case. The bluray looked over-saturated but the 4k disc looked far more refined while not compromising on the vibrancy of colours.