Four Flies on Grey Velvet DVD News

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

I was shocked to see Four Flys...... at best buy.I did pick it up,it is nice to see a niche dvd companey releasing these forgotten movies.Now id we can get them to release The Strange vice of Mrs. Wardh, Ide be fucking thrilled.I heared from here??? that MYA Communications is a off spring of NoShame? I only have a couple of NS dvds but wish I had more and wish they were still in biz.Sorry for the rant,Ive had a few beers.

sean

2. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

It's a, umm, shame about NoShame. A couple of years ago they seemed like the last great hope for Eurohorror (after Media Blasters, Avalon Bay, and even Blue Underground kind of dropped the ball).

3. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

Oops, I meant Anchor Bay not Avalon Bay.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Anchor Bay seems to be more interested in re-releasing than anything else these days.

5. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

As is BU currently.

6. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I was wondering about this so I popped in the Retrofilm DVD. I watched the party scene but don't see Roberto being introduced by anyone. I do seem to recall seeing this when I watched the whole DVD but I have no idea where it is. Anyone know where (MM:SS) this is, or is supposed to be? Finally, in the scene with Arosio dying, the cut to the next scene definitely isn't abrupt so I'm guessing I got that. Basically what I'm trying to figure out is whether or not the Retrofilm DVD is complete since the MYA one isn't. I wonder despite the fact that if I am missing footage there is no way to get a complete copy in decent quality anyway...

7. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

8. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Yeah, I'm waiting to see how that one turns out myself; hopefully it's worth it! Good to know about the third scene as well, I certainly didn't remember that from my less than memorable lfvw bootleg if it was even in that one. It sucks making myself wait over trivial footage but it's just really hard to pull the trigger if I know it's not complete. :/

9. Crystal Plumage

The release date for the Italian disc is May 20th.

[​IMG]

10. Stige

Stige Active Member

forget it, happy with the versions I have of this film

11. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

"NEWS of 23/03/09
    Good news and bad. The good news is that the refined film by Dario Argento 4 FLIES ON GREY VELVET was finally issued on DVD in the U.S. and was announced in output in Italy in May to work on DVD distribution 01, which then would not be more than Rai Cinema.

The bad news is that the lawyers of the Argento family has already been put things in motion to block these two releases. Why? Because Claudio and Dario Argento, who are the legitimate owners of this film for the whole world except the United States (where the owner is Paramount), were only informed about this dvd by chance

An unidentified foreign company has sold the rights to 4 FLIES ON GREY VELVET to Rai, but Claudio and Dario Argento swear that it never ceded rights to the said foreign company and therefore, in their view, this is a sensational case of piracy.

There are already lots injunctions and legal injunctions to prevent at least quest'uscita 4 FLIES ON GREY VELVET Italy. The Rai/01 has subsequently announced that it has suspended for the time distribution of 4 FLIES ON GREY VELVET, at least until it has been made clearer on the actual situation of the rights of this film.

We will see what will happen yet ... "

source: profondo rosso store.com

12. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

Finaly got to see this movie and while you could tell the audio pitch was different, it didnt deter from the movie at all.Maybe MYA will correct it in the feature.The video looked fabulous. I couldnt ask for more in that dept. I did notice a scene at the party that ended abruptly, luckily I still have the german bootleg.

sean

13. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I've had the Mya DVD sitting here for months. I finally got a chance to watch it last night. Having never seen the movie before, I had no problem with the audio track and never would have imagined that the audio pitch was off.

Was anyone else hugely disappointed with the movie itself? I really enjoy most of Argento's giallos. But I could never really get into this one. I also thought it was easy to guess who the killer was. And that's unusual for me when it comes to Argento.

I thought this was a huge step back from Bird with the Crystal Plumage and Cat O' Nine Tails. Was anyone else disappointed after waiting so long to see this?

14. Crystal Plumage

In the 80s(?) we watched a lot of 'Dempsey and Makepeace' on TV, which features Michael Brandon. I can "dream" this man's voice. So, when the pitch isn't right, I'm out. Sorry MYA.

15. Crystal Plumage

16. Crystal Plumage

OK, I can understand people don't want to know about this Jap screening. But the point is, Paramount lost the rights to this film some time ago and nobody is sure where they are now. Could well be that the rights are in fact in Japan.
    If so, a Japanese release (by King records?) could be on the horizon.
    But, and that seems even more plausible, the announced/ delayed/ aborted Italian release is in fact the real deal.
    Ah, I'm just guessing ofcourse, like so many people have done already in the last thirty years.....

At the question asked to Don May Junior (Synapse) "So Paramount doesn't own it any more. Don, I don't suppose you know who has the US rights?"
    he answered:
    http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=815422&postcount=692

17. Crystal Plumage

Well, it's great to be right! :
    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KIBF-797

[​IMG]

Only in friggin Italian with Japanese subs..... Though we're getting close to a definitive (as in: legal, English friendly) release!

18. meddle

meddle Member

Mya Communication supplied the master that is being used for the King Records Japanese DVD release.

19. Crystal Plumage

Pity. But we're getting close.

20. meddle

meddle Member

Hopefully they will address the missing bits and maybe add them in. It is too bad that King Records is only doing a DVD release. Since they are using a Hi Def master. Which means they could do a Blu-ray release. Also besides being a non English friendly release. I noticed that the information listed on that link you provided says that the King Records DVD release is going to be a single layer release. At least the Mya DVD release was a dual layer release. Anyway I am still interested to see what King Records transfer will look like.