Four Flies on Grey Velvet DVD News

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Sep 10, 2007.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

As has been noted elsewhere - though few are willing to accept it - releases such as these actually push back legit releases, because a percentage of people who buy the bootleg won't upgrade - so the market is diluted. A release such as this did the title no favors.

I'm still waiting.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Unless we're talking about the Halloween 6 Producer's Cut, which is actually closer to legitimate release BECAUSE of all the bootlegs. Or George Lucas caving to pressure and adding the original theatrical Star Wars cuts as "extras".

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Closer? Is it here? And would it come have sooner if the audience had found other ways of letting them know it's wanted? Lucas didn't cave because of piracy - the pressure on him from discussion groups and conferences was enormous. Hell, the press were highly critical.

Even if those two instances were on the money, it hardly applies across the board. When the people releasing DVD's says bootlegs are hurting the chance of films such as this getting released, I tend to believe them rather than fanboys.

4. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Then why hasn't he given us the Holiday Special?? :D

5. maybrick

Often studios fail to release cult movies because they're under the false impression that there isn't a market for them. When bootleggers begin to make "real" money on films that are otherwise unavailable to the public it proves the studios that they're wrong. Disney was NEVER, ever going to release a producer's cut of Halloween, but now that it has been pointed out to them how popular the producer's cut has proven to be, and that there IS a market for it, the idea is at least being given some serious consideration for the first time, ever. Studios will say almost anything in an attempt to curb bootlegging. I wouldn't necessarily believe them anymore than I would the fanboys. They all have their own agendas.

6. maybrick

I think in this one instance Lucas is doing humanity a favor. :lol:

7. Shannafey

All a studio has to do is send a rep to any convention and look at what is on the bootleggers' tables. There are tons of stuff that they constantly sell since they are unavailable! I'm so glad I can get so much online nowadays, since I really have a distaste for buying from these people, especially when it comes to the prices they charge! A lot of people don't realize that if they charged a lot less for a product they would sell more and probably make a lot more money! Also, when DVDs came onto the market, I stopped buying a lot of bootlegs, because more or less, most of the things I was looking for either came out, or I figured would eventually come out. Unfortunately there are still a lot of those things that haven't come out!! Four Flies being one of them, but in that same note, it was DVD that introduced me to the wonder that is Dario Argento. I didn't know much of his work before then, and now I have everything of his on DVD except those last few holdovers!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  8. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Argento at Festival of Fear that in order for Paramount to either release a DVD of this or give the rights to another company, they have to pay a certain amount due to prior obligations with a past company. They are unwilling, hence the reason why no official release has surfaced.

9. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Yeah that makes allot of sense. It also would explain why the DVD got shit canned withing 2 1/2 weeks. OOP WTFever

10. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

I didn't pick one up in time. just went to order it yesterday and its gone. how these things go.

11. Shannafey

Yeah, and because of Rhett, I now really want this!! I'm not going to pay Ebay prices though!

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

solution: download it and burn it. :evil:

13. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

14. Shannafey

I would love to, but I don't do bittorrents. I do direct downloads at work when I find them on Joox or Stage6, but don't want to do anything else at work. We have a T1 there, I have a dial up at home. I actually watched it on Youtube, but would love a decent copy. Do you have one?

With the exchange rate, that is a great deal, but is that place reputable? All in all, I'd rather DL it!!

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I think the average bootleggers have more often than not proven that there is a market for a film. Mass bootlegging is the problem, like Red Sun getting releases out to major retailers like CostCo. This is killing Kung Fu. On the other hand I'd say the grey market helped Euro and Asian horror gain enough ground for companies like Synapse Films to take interest. Night of the Living Dead's been bootlegged to hell, yet that's probably the single reason why it remains popular to this day. For Fox, Anchor Bay and Elite to all license it and still consider it profitable in a bootleg ridden market speaks volumes. MST3K's support of bootlegging probably created its longevity.

The guys working out of their garage have kept alive TV cuts like Dune, workprints like Bladerunner, countless others like cartoons too. Warner probably wouldn't have dreamed up their latest catalogs like Blade Runner's SE release and Popeye without fan input from web chat, fans who discovered the bootlegs. Disney didn't even know they owned Halloween 6, none the less that there was any interest in an alternate cut that fans were interested in. I doubt Paramount is really all that aware of Four Flies none the less that there's was an incredibly limited bootleg run done in Germany. The only reason it ever becomes a blip on their radar screen is because someone who saw or knows of a bootleg of it thinks to ask about Four Flies.

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Chainsaw's good, I only use them during sales or they have something specially unique. I've e-mailed them general questions and they've always had quick accurate responses in perfect English too.

17. marcx

marcx New Member

For those that downloaded it--is anyone having trouble getting ot to burn properly as a 16x9 dvd?

18. Shannafey

Actually I was wrong, that price is in Euros, not Netherlands currency. With shipping, it's not much better than Ebay!! Screw that!

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Nope, not with Nero.

...oh yeah, theoretically. ;) ;)

20. marcx

marcx New Member

what settings would someone use in Nero? I "have heard" of people getting weird framing or incorrect aspect ratio, etc...