Four Flies on Grey Velvet DVD News

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Sure can scratch this "biggie" from my want list!
    Thanks for the link!I'm all gooey now!:D:banana:

2. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I had somehow completely overlooked this thread and had no idea about this release until I stumbled upon it on Amazon. This is sweet and I will surely pick it up.

3. Crystal Plumage

Apparently this release is slightly cut/edited. Also there seem to be some audio problems:

http://www.avmaniacs.com/review.php?id=696

Damn :mad:

4. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Okay... I'll have to rent the disc via Netflix or whathaveyou to see how bad the dialogue sounds first. Although- the geniuses :)rolleyes:) at Nf have it on their "Long Wait" list.

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Wow that sounds horrendous. Fuck, why would they do something like that?

Saw this in stores for like $35.99...Jesus.

~Matt

6. DVD-fanatic-9

If the audio really is so low and wobbly that it's as bad as Image's Twitch of the Death Nerve, I won't buy it until it's fixed.

7. Crystal Plumage

Same here.

8. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Yeah, I saw it in BestBuy 2 nights ago for like $22.95 and camde every close to buying it - glad I didn't. It's at the top of the BlockBuster queue now :)

9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

We have a review copy kicking around. I'll give it a look-see later on (hopefully) and let you know what I think.

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I have it coming in the mail, and luckily it was just $17. The back cover states this much:

Hmm... :eek2:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  11. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I watched the new Four Flies DVD, and didn't notice the dialogue track to be the least bit annoying. I usually pick up on those things right away. I also own 2 other DVDs of Four Flies, so it's not like I had nothing to compare it too.
    On the plus side the picture quality looks the best ever, and reveals some nice tracking shots and lighting designs. This is one of my least favorite Argentos mostly due to Michael Brandon's wooden, unsympathetic performance. Even Giallo veteran Mimsy Farmer is pretty bad. Even so, If you are an Argento completist or if you've never seen FFOGV, I highly recommend this new DVD from Mya.

12. I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Even the price on Amazon (where I do practically all of my genre film ordering online) is way too way. I'm a hardcore Argentophile, and I'm only halfway considering pickin' this up.

A big thanks to all of the assholes who collectiveally fucked-up the release of this rare and praised film in the legendary director's cannon ... *nods head sadly*

13. maybrick

Just a reminder, charging too little for releases is one of the VERY good reasons why a lot of Independent DVD labels have closed shop recently. If you're a "hardcore" Argentophile as you claim, then you WILL pick it up so quit your whining. People have wanted this for DECADES! If you're expecting this to be re-released ever again if this one fails then you seriously need to get real. If you want FOUR FLIES on DVD, then buy it. If they fix the audio then I'm sure they'll honor replacement discs. Until then, shut the FUCK up and get the FUCK off your high horses!

Sorry for the attitude, but it's Saturday, I have a hangover and have to go to work!

14. DVD-fanatic-9

Glad you enjoyed your copy. Though I want to say something quick- almost everyone in an Argento film gives an unsympathetic performance. How many characters in his films did you actually like as human beings??

You poooooor thing. I wish there was something I could do to make you feel better... Though, nothing comes to mind.

Guess you'll just have to suffer. :evil:

15. I was about to say (about the hang over and you being, no offence, kinda douchey about the whole ordeal). ;):rolleyes:

Anyway, I'll probably pick it up--from a 3rd party seller on Amazon, but not right now. Not anytime soon in the comin' weeks. And yeah, I know the film has been lost for quite some time like about four other titles I'm dying to see released in a legitamite release. As I said I'm a hardcore Argentophile. Just CALM DOWN, dude. Nothin' is wrong with a little venting, ya know. Us big time genre buffs/collectors always get the shaft one way or another, it seem's. And I'm sure this DVD retailer is no worse then CodeRed as of late over the last year years ...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2009
  16. maybrick

What can I say? So I'm a dick when I have a hangover. What's your excuse?

17. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    No one should pick it up if it is an inferior product!! I'll stick to my German DVD for now. I was debating whether or not to upgrade (I paid $35 for the last one!!), but now I won't bother! I don't know where y'all got those prices from, because you can get it for under $20 shipped from DeepDiscount!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  18. I feel the same way. I mean I'm most certainly GLAD it's coming out, but if a lot of the discs have audio problems, then let's wait. For example, I'm glad I never picked up The Bird With A Crystal Plumage release from BCI many years ago, as I picked up the Blue-Underground re-release two years ago, and it was well worth it. So yeah, I'm waiting just to see what all of this fuss is about before I order.

19. maybrick

The way I see it is, with a PAL disc you're going to have higher pitched audio, and with the NTSC you get a lower pitch. In the end, what difference does it make? The audio isn't going to be right either way!

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Now that's just plain logical. You can't post logic on the internet and expect any fanboy to be able to understand you.

My disc hasn't even shipped yet so I haven't even been given a decent chance to bitch about it yet. That's good news though, when demand beats expectations.