Fourth Underworld Film: Beckinsale is In!

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

*Bumping because it's release week*

I watched the original tonight, and I am such an easy mark for these films--at least the first two. Underworld is a great action film with a byzantine plot, guns with neverending bullets, and fun horror ideas put to screen. The CGI lycans definitely looked dated whenever they crawled on walls, but the rest was still top-notch cheese. Gonna catch Awakening this weekend.

3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Got my tickets already printed from the offer with the new BD boxset (most have had $20 for 2 tickets for Awakenings, but not all) so I'm ready for it. I grabbed my box at Wal-Mart as it was only $24.98 with the moviecash offer. The boxes they had the other day when I went back to look for other shit did not have the moviecash though. All the ones at Best buy have it, but they are $34.99.

I love this series even more after watching the blus. Even if the story loses me here and there, they still look awesome. Glad to see some characters that shouldn't come back, not coming back, but not sure why Michael will be missing this time.

4. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I own the first two on DVD, but the first is "Superbit"--I watched that on my PS3 last night and the blacks looked very grainy. Was a little disappointed, as I expected more of an "upscale" experience since the film really is about visual and aural flare.

All this is to say that I couldn't justify purchasing the new set, although it sounds like you got a sweet deal. Didn't realize it came with a ticket. Is the first film the extended or theatrical cut?

5. bigdaddyhorse

Extended, and it looks to have all the features from the unrated 2-dvd version. Blacks are so solid on the blu's it's sick, smokes the old dvd I had but I never had a chance to try the superbit one. Oh and it's not just a ticket, it's 2 tickets ($10 each, so it will cover most of a daytime show here which I think are $11.50 or $12 for 3D).

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

DAY-UM! Now that's a deal. OK, hmmmm. I might have to pick that up. thanks for the info, BDH.

7. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I was thinking of getting that blu set since it is so cheap, but I couldn't do it. While I enjoy the films they don't really get much replay in my house. I think I've only watched my DVDs of the first two and BD of third once each. I'll be checking out the new movie in theaters. Still wondering how Kate Beckinsale's character is a vampire when I thought the vampire/werewolf curse was lifted at the end of part 2...

8. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I thought that Corvinus' blood transformed Selene--into what, we don't know (and neither did she at the end of the film). From the trailers, it looks like the lycans have transformed as well--larger--so maybe this will be addressed.

Or not. The plot is confusing as hell already, but I love trying to figure it out.

9. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I figured they were transformed into regular humans. Oh well, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

10. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Gave Evolution another viewing last night. The first 1/4 is a helluva exposition dump. It was a bit of a chore even for me. But once Selene and Michael head to the exiled vampire's cave, it gets pretty damn fun. Fantastic effects and action settings. Kate is in full-on pursed lips mode, and I never get tired of watching Kraven get his reward.

Wish we had more of William than Markus, and the Alexander plot is pretty goofy.

As for the transformation at the end, keep in mind that the film is subtitled "Evolution," and Alexander lets Selene drink of his blood to give her more power. At then end, Selene still has fangs, so she's become something greater than before, not just a human. (I needed a refresher, too, so it's not like I remembered all this.)

Fun sequel--not as big of a blast as the original. Hope this weekend's release is just as fun if not better. Can't believe it's been 6 years since Kate donned the suit!

11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

If you like the first two Underworld films you should enjoy this one too. I saw it in Imax 3D and while I didn't notice much in the way of 3D effects it was still very entertaining. Of course the ending is left wide open for another sequel.

12. Pukenstein

Pukenstein Member

I thought it was good, it had plenty of action. The story was pretty weak imo. The 3D was nothing special, but I got the moviecash from the new Underworld Blu set so who cares.

I thought we would see more of Michael, like in the final fight. Selene/Kate's escape, we have her nudeness covered up by smoke. Reminded me of Evolution...lol

13. bigdaddyhorse

I think it's safe to say only a couple scenes really had any 3D effect, so save the extra $ and just go standard for this one. Story was a bit week, but still a fun ride into slightly new turf. I hate creative implied nudity!

14. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Saw it in 3D IMAX today. I read a review at the AV Club before going in that gave it a crushing D-, which surprised me. I thought it was a great installment in the franchise. if you're in, you're in. And it's designed to be a jumping-on point--the CGI is the best it's been (although early lycans resemble frogs), the convoluted mythology is tucked away, and Selene awakens to a blank slate (maybe more like "bleak slate").

I actually dig the 3D, because it wasn't used as a gimmick (you do get the requisite weapon-flying-at-the-viewer). I thought a few scenes had literal depth (the first van chase, for example). It made the film very moody but I agree that it's not a must.

Kate Beckinsale shoulders a duster like nobody else. She is so damn cool in this, getting all stabby and explodey. Limber and lythe, she really sells the fights. Wire-work, CGI? At times I couldn't tell, but I did love the superhuman stunts. Hot damn, when she
    leaps over the giant werewolf and stabs it?
    So great.

The child-in-peril plot is tired, but I appreciated that the kid threw down in a few fights. I feel like the series' focus on the lycans took a turn in this film,
    from underdog (heh) to villain
    . It's a cool turn but there were nowhere near enough vampires is this one.
    Again, their turn from castle-dwelling lords to dirty brown water trash is an interesting "evolution." Especially since the boring rat king vampire is still wearing his regal outfit, like a refusal to admit his new state in un-life.

It's clear the budget went to Beckinsale and the effects, because there are three sets: the lab, the vampire cave, and the packing garage, back and forth. But they blow the hell out of all of 'em, :lol:. Biggest question is "Where is Scott Speedman?"
    His character actually appears in the opening but he's CGI'd or someone else entirely--but made to resemble him. Didn't Crispen Glover win a suit about something similar? I understand why the Michael character was written out to make things simpler, but didn't they essentially introduce the same character with the daughter ? Maybe the four writers couldn't tackle their relationship? Maybe Speedman didn't want it?
    It's not a huge loss and it gives them fuel for a sequel. My theater was sparsely attended today, but I hope Underworld continues.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  15. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

it led the weekend box office with $25.4M, so that will hopefully keep the series afloat. :D

16. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Blue and Orange: The Movie.

Hmm, this one was pretty bad imo. The quality of CGI was boarderline SyFy channel. One scene in particular where Beckinsale falls down an elevator shaft with a Lycan was embarassingly bad, literally looked like they just tossed 2 jointless-action figures down. CGI for a big chunk of should-be wire fu stunts. Cheap looking sets, CGI sets. Nonsensical action scenes (car chase scene with Lycans jumping ontop of moving cars and all the cars keep on driving as if nothing is wrong despite a 300 lbs monster just landed on the hood.) The child's design was boring and uninspired, basically a J-Horror creepy-girl reject. Rushed throw-away ending.

I will say the movie had some good blood and gore. It's sad that in this day in age where we keep seeing watered down pg-13 fare that it becomes a highlight rather than what should be (for horror) standard, but that's how it is lately.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012