Foxcather (2014) non-spoiler Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Dec 31, 2014.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Foxcatcher (2014) non-spoiler Review

[​IMG]
    Foxcatcher (2014)
    Directed by Bennett Miller

8/10
    This is a true story that I was unaware of about the greatest brother team (Channing Tatum, Mark Ruffalo) to have success in Olympic Wrestling who join Team Foxcatcher lead by multimillionaire sponsor John E. du Pont (Steve Carell) as they train for the 1988 games in Seoul. I was unaware of this dark tale before seeing it so as well as being riveted by the performances I also did not know the events that were to come. I won't ruin it for those who also do not know the basics of this true story.
    The film itself is well made with a brooding score and anchored by a trifecta of superb performances. It is a nice grim slow burner with a bubbling undercurrent of menace that I was waiting to see if the cork would pop or not. All in all I would expect nominations come oscar time for the actors, make-up and perhaps the film itself and would recommend people to check it out.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

"Foxcatcher" is a good movie but not a great one. The storyline reeks of a great film, but Bennett Miller mis-directed this big time. The score is haunting and the slow-pacing works at times...but the film is perhaps too slow-paced to the point of nerve-wracking. The performances are fantastic and it's well-written...but I think a more creative director could have made this work better.

5/10

3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I have to agree with the second comment, that the pacing was SLOW!!! I new nothing of the original story so it was all new to me, It all just felt very matter of fact, by the time it got to it's climax I felt 'ow is that it'. I felt the characters needed a bit more fleshing out.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I saw this over Christmas with my mother and brother, and thought it was a total bore. Excellent performances though.

Not surprised it didn't receive a Best Picture nomination. Although I was both surprised and delighted to see Whiplash nominated. What a terrific movie!

5. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Wow, I did not find it slow at all. Not that I mind slow films.

6. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I didn't mind this one. As far as I'm concerned this is Bennett Miller's best directorial effort so far (although when the Academy announced his name in the best director category you could hear, from what I could tell, a smattering of boos!). The tension in this movie is very palpable and Steve Carrell and Channing Tatum do great jobs of stepping out of their "funny guy" comfort zones. Respectable, but far from one of the best of the year.