Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Livingdead102, Dec 5, 2003.

1. I saw this the other day for about $6 and was wondering if it was worth picking up. I'm a Hammer virgin (except for Captain Kronos, which I haven't watched yet) and thought I might be a nice addition to my collection, but I hesitate to pick up any movie from the bargain bin blindly- sure it's only $6, but for that price it's usually not worth buying at all.

So, what do you all think? I know this probably isn't where I should start exploring the world of Hammer, but does it have enough redeeming qualities to warrant skipping a six-pack for?

2. Hammerfan

Hammerfan Guest

I may be biased, but by all means pick this up! It has a buzz that will last longer than a six pack. :) Just keep in mind this was the last of the Hammer Frankenstein pictures and you should enjoy it. As to why its in the bargain bin, I can't say. I have to say that there are some great movies in the bargain bin, there for no other reason than just being put there.

3. Dude, there really are some great movies in the bargain bin, if you know what you're looking for. I picked up Captain Kronos (which a lot of people say is pretty good, so I'll take their word for it for now) and the Tenant out of the same bin, and Rambo for $6 isn't too bad either :) . Oh, and Trick or Treat... But you've got to be careful, or else you end up with new coasters.

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, these types of questions arn't that easy to answer.

If you're a Hammer virgin, personally I think it's a great way to start out. Some Hammer writers though have said that it's really not very good Hammer (I just happen to disagree) so in that regard, it might actually not be a good place to start.

And then there is the issue that the current version is cut - and that the best version is undoubtably the R2 version (which still is not completely UNCUT.)

As for bargain bin titles, don't shun them! Some of them are good, and even if they're not, you've not wasted all that much. I reckon tis one is easily worth the money they're asking (as is Captain Kronos).

5. Not only am I a cheap bastard, I'm a sucker for uncut and special edition discs. I guess that answers that question- hold off for the uncut version. Thanks.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Can anyone tell me the exact differences between the "cut" and "uncut" versions?

Reason I ask, I found a copy of the film on Japanese Laserdisc today. (Naturally, I bought it right up). For one thing, now I only need Revenge of Frankenstein on LD to have the entire Hammer Frankenstein series on one format. But I also wonder if this is the uncut version, which would be a real bonus.

(Cover art is nice, too, though)

7. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

A friend of mine used to have the Japanese LaserDisc and he said that it was uncut but that the image was very dark and he hated it. Then he got a PAL VHS version ... I think a GREEK PAL VHS ... and said that it was also uncut but much better in that it was NOT overly dark. Of course GREEK PAL VHS tapes aren't that great in quality generally they are a little rough ... lot's of print damage ... usually mono sound etc.

All I know is he preferred it and sold his Japanese LD. This was years ago before DVD.

I hear that the UK DVD release is UNCUT but was first issued R (by accident) and that you can't tell which is which (R rated original and re-issued UNCUT have some covers exact same ISBN etc.) although by now the R rated discs are probably all gone (either recalled or sold out). Definately one to buy brand new as a used one might be the R rated print.

I use to have (but can't seem to find it) a VHS SP recording I made from USA NETWORK that was ... according to VIDEO WATCHDOG ... longer than the R-rated US print but still not 100% complete. I miss the old days of cable TV when wierd shit like that would happen.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The picture is ass compared to the DVD.

But I do wonder about the cut scenes, and most importantly, you gotta LOVE this cover:

Attached Files:

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, apparently they just announced this film for release in Germany (anolis). They're claiming it's uncut - AGAIN. We'll see.

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Bumping this thread....

I just got through watching the German DVD mentioned here in my last post. It sure took long enough to find it, but I finally stumbled upon a copy in a store in Frankfurt.

Seeing this uncut really is a bit of a revelation. The "artery clenching" scene is superb. I guess it's been a bit of a holy grail, so seeing it in all its full glory is great. The gore at the end is also better.

The German DVD is missing 40 frames, or 1.5 seconds, due to print damage, apparently. This scene happens to be a throat cutting - but really I can't complain about 1.5 seconds. Not to mention, the previous version I had (The R2 from DD Video) didn't have a longer version of the scene either.

Comparing the two transfers side by side, I'd say the Anolis (German) version is ever so slightly lighter, and to my eyes "better". It's marginal though - and nothing to get overly excited about. Pushed I'd say the German - but it's so close as not to matter, imo.

So, the German is the one to get, imo. Removable subtitles, a few extras (the two interviews on the disc as a loss, they're German only).

Great flick - very much underrated. I know there are some people who don't reckon this one at all, coming as it did at the end of the pantheon. But really, brushing that aside (all the films are "old" by today's standards), it's really good. A lot more gore than usual too. Excellent stuff.

11. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

That cover rocks! That's from the Japanese DVD??
    [​IMG]

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

No, Japanese laserdisc.

13. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

I hope you haven't... if that film was my first exposure to Hammer, I would stay far away from anything else they've done.

On the other hand, Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell is a great film.

14. Damed

Damed Guest

See, I disagree. Kronos was one of the first Hammer films I watched and I really loved it.

15. Jeff Dolniak

Jeff Dolniak Guest

Definitely buy it! Its a very nice dvd for the price,though its cut. If you like it enough upgrade to the region 2 dvd which is fairly affordable for an import itself. I have both

16. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Captain Kronos is an excellent film. I'm not big on Hammer, but i really liked this flick with it's "superhero" type of storyline. Too bad no sequels were made.

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's a great film indeed, one of my favorite Hammer films actually.

18. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Caroline Munro... 'nuff said.

[​IMG]

19. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

If I recall correctly, Hammer Studios saw Captain Kronos as a pilot for a potential TV series and it was double-billed with Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell.

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Captain Kronos WAS the first Hammer film I ever saw, and certainly did not discourage me from checking out their other movies.

Highly recommended, and it was on my top-10 Halloween movie list this year