Freakmaker

Discussion in 'Classic' started by dwatts, Mar 17, 2008.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

You see - I know we live in times when we want everything NOW - but sometimes waiting is very sweet.

Tonight I saw the Subversive R1 DVD of Freakmaker (personally I prefer the title The Mutations, but the writer/producer likes Freakmaker so.....) and it was really a joy. This is a fantastic little film with an odd blend of Hammeresque moments with a mix of the grotesque to go along with it.

The plot should be familiar to everyone, so it just leaves me to say that Tom Baker is excellent, as is Donald Pleasence. As a homage to Todd Brownings Freaks it works wonderfully, but it also serves as a good slice of - for want of a better word - subversive 70's British cinema. It sure is a little uncomfortable at times, but of course, that's kind of the point.

The subversive disc is great - poster, lobby cards, the disc is stacked with extras. The almost half hour featurette is outstanding.

All in all - a very worthwhile film and disc. As I say, sometimes waiting is sweet - and having seen this now, and knowing I can revisit it whenever I want, is a joy.

Recommended.

2. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I was eyeing this one now that it is cheap and paired up with The Gardener. Guess I'll give it a go.

3. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

^ I've got this on order at work, the Greenhouse Gore Two Pack. What a name. I've wanted to see Freakmaker for quite some time.

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I actually didn't know those two had been paired. I've watched both recently and I admit I enjoyed both. However, as a word of caution, they're two very different films. One if a 70's British picture with some great monsters and an avant garde jazz soundtrack. The other is an 70's sort of hippy flick, with really not much going on and a little (male) nudity. Yes they both include a focus of plant life (hence the "greenhouse moniker I guess), but as film watching experiences they couldn't be any different.

Just saying - sounds like a good little twofer.

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

FREAKMAKER was called THE MUTATIONS when I saw it,kind of queasy little number,largely due to a cast that included a number of real life victims of deformity.However,as a mad doctor style film it has it's moments,reminded me a bit of SSSSSSS,the man into snake film with Strother Martin.Pleasance is always fun as an evil Doc and a pre DOCTOR WHO Tom Baker is also solid as his disfigured henchman.I was a bit amused to see that Baker was dressed rather like he was in WHO during this film,including a slouch hat and coat.Some clever fellow could probably have some fun cutting his nasty exploits from this film into an old WHO episode.

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Agreed on Sssssss, there are simularities. Although I do think this is a much better film. I find Sssssss drags a little as it goes along, with only one pay-off shot - Freakmaker flew passed, and the goodness just keeps coming!

Baker is extraordinary though. It's good to know he took such a role. It's a rather unglamorous thing, what with the makeup, the drooling all over the place, and the horrors of that make-up. It also couldn't have been easy having mutant make-up put on when he was working with real mutated people!

Would love the soundtrack to this one.

7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Haven't seen SSSSSSS or FREAKMAKER in a long while,I should give them both a spin again.

I once read an interview with Tom Baker where he discussed this film.He actually took the part because he wanted to meet Donald Pleasance,who's work he admired.He said his chats with Pleasance were his fondest memories of this shoot.Baker's a really unique talent,I wish he had been given a larger feature film career.Anytime he was given a film role of substance (NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA,THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD) he really shined,and he even brought a spark to odd roles in films like THE FREAKMAKER that made them above par,a lot of actors would have tossed off a role as a ''henchman",he really added some layers to it.That's the mark of a good actor.