Freaks (1932) DVD

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Lyle Horowitz, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I apologize for the crazy rant in advance:

Well, the wait is killing me. Most of you probably have all of your favorite movies out on DVD by now, but for me, I have to wait only 2 more days. Freaks has been my favorite movie ever for years (about 8 or 9 years by now to be exact) and it's finally coming. I can't wait for the DVD, the commentary is supposed to be fantastic and informative, Roger Ebert wrote the liner notes, there is a documentary which clocks in at over 1 HOUR, and there are even THREE alternate endings. To top it all off, most importantly, the A/V is supposed to be top-notch as well. I just can't wait -- I am making sure I get my copy first thing Tuesday morning. If my local indie store were still open (they went out of business after 16 years of business at the end of July) I would have my copy by now, but for now I have several backup plans to avoid ordering it online -- including reserving it at multiple stores and getting to Suncoast (the most over-priced store ever, but alas the closet to my house) at the time they open so I could get it. Yes, I am crazy. I am usually never this fussy with getting a DVD on it's release date (the only other time I remember being this obsessive was when Treasure of the Sierra Madre and The Man Who Laughs came out the same day last September) but for Freaks, I must have it. Just the thought of other people owning the disc before me kind of urks me. I'm surprised at the publicity the film/DVD is getting. It is a featured DVD in this Sunday's Best Buy catalog, it has advertisments in Premiere, Fangoria, Rue Morgue, Entertainment Weekly, among other film magazines, it is the featured DVD of the month in the new issue of Premiere, and the last page of this months Rue Morgue magazine features the film/DVD in the spotlight as well. I am surprised how well early sales are going, too -- DVDEmpire has it at it's #7 best-selling preorder. I told ya so, Warner. For the past few years I've emailed Warner, bugged them at HTF chats, etc. and I told them it would sell, I'm happy it is. Anyways, expect a full review from me sometime on Tuesday once I'm done watching EVERYTHING on the disc, I hope you guys chime in as well.

2. Ravenheart

Ravenheart Guest

I've never seen it but I've heard that its very good so I have my copy pre-ordered and I'm looking forward to seeing it for the first time to see if it lives up to its reputation.

3. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

I will pick up Tuesday. I have been waiting for it for a long time..I just hope the transfer looks good.

4. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

I got my copy on pre-order and i can't wait to watch it. Never seen it before but i'm sure i'm in for a real treat.

5. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I hope I haven't overrated it for you guys who haven't seen it! I'm sure you won't think it's the best film ever, but it's definetley entertaining, original, and an all-around solid horror film.

moogong, I hear there are still some sound issues but the picture is supposedly very good. Only time will tell.

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Mine was shipped from DDD last week. Look forward to it.

ps: Village of the Damned was shipped the same day.

7. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Lyle, it's good to have you back from your summer camp. Sound issues? I wonder what kind. I dont freak too much over sound UNLESS it fades in and out. That pisses me off the most.

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Sound issues? For a film made in 1932. Erm, I think I could live with that. Sad there's not DTS though :D

9. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

I never seen this one but I have it preordered along with The Bad Seed, Dead Ringer, and Village of the Damned/Children of the Damned. August is going to be a great month for me.

10. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

It's a great movie and I'm really glad that this DVD is finally out. I will definetly pick this one up. It's easily one of the best movies from the 1930s and that's saying a lot because it was a great decade for horror.

11. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I've got some stories from that camp in the next few weeks once I am motivated enough to write about them. Not huge sound issues, just not many improvments. I imagine it will sound like the VHS but with clearer spoken word.

12. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I watched the DVD of this gem last night, and the transfer was impeccable for a film of this age. I really didn't take issue with the sound, either. I've seen the film many times, and it sounded as fine as I've heard it sound. Anyway, its great to finally own this on DVD. A definite masterpiece that, while recognized, is still a bit underrated in my eyes.

13. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I got it! I took the 9:55 bus to the mall this morning, got to Suncoast at 10:15 and bought my copy! I even convinced the girl there to get it, and she put a copy aside for herself. [​IMG]

I just opened it up and plan on disapearing for a few hours in a bit. I'll report back later. My collection now feels complete. [​IMG]

14. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    It's a very good film, but for those of you who haven't seen it, think about the year it was made, and if you enjoy classic horror from that era. I am not a big fan of the films of that period, but Freaks far exceeds an horror film made at the time. And it really isn't horror, until you get towards the end.

15. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I watched the three "alternate" endings, found that feature interesting but they were only just re-edited versions of the original ending. Skal's commentaries on those is what made the feature worthwhile. The documentary, Freaks: Sideshow Cinema runs a little over an hour (I believe it was longer than the film itself) and was very informative (even told me a few things I didn't know about the film) and entertaining. I am saving the film (possibly with commentary) for tonight, although I am impressed with the A/V quality on the DVD. Overall, I am thrilled to have this DVD and i'm glad that Warner put so much effort into it.

16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I've seen FREAKS once long, long time ago and unfortunately I can't remember too much from it. Every time I try, a chorus of "GABBA GABBA WE ACCEPT YOU WE ACCEPT YOU ONE OF US GABBA GABBA WE ACCEPT YOU WE ACCEPT YOU ONE OF US" fogs everything else out. I'm sure eventually I'll buy it (hell, I own SHE-FREAK for chrissakes!). I had almost the same reaction as you though, Lyle, only I ran down to Borders to pick up VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED instead.

17. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I hear these WB releases and in Amaray's, and not snappr crappers. Is this true?

18. Wizejoker

Wizejoker Guest

Yeah, it's true. :) The Lost Boys, Freaks, and a few other WB dvds that were released yesterday were all in amaray cases.

19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Woo hoo!!!

20. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I watched the film with commentary last night. The commentary wasn't as good as the documentary because Skal is scripted, and there are a few too many pauses in it; but it was still good, and has more information about the making of the film than the documentary did, which mostly talked about each "freak" in the film. All (minor) complaints aside, I'm thrilled to have this on DVD. :)