Freaks (1932) DVD

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Lyle Horowitz, Aug 9, 2004.

1. wgdavis

wgdavis Guest

I just watched this (Christmas Gift), and I was quite impressed. The only beef I have is with the sound (I still can't understand everything Hans says). The picture looks great, and the documentary rocks! This is such a classic, I am glad I no longer have to continue with my well-worn VHS.

2. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I wound up using the captions before it was over with--still way better sound than the old VHS, though.

3. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

Well I saw this for the first time recently and I thought it was incredible. The wedding feast was undeniably effective and creepy and the first glimpse we get of various "freaks" was very jolting and unsettling. The movie starts off slow but it picks up steam as it goes along and it ends on a series of high notes. Great film I'll definitely be revisiting... this movie will have endless rewatchability given the sheer oddness of it all... I've never seen anything quite like it.

4. The Joker

The Joker Guest

I've been wanting to see this for a very long time so I think I'm gonna be picking it up within the week

5. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I loved this film the first time I saw it (on VHS), and I loved it even more when I watched it on the DVD. Warner did a really great job restoring this classic, and I can say it's been worth the wait. I'm happy to (finally) have this in my collection. :)

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Ah... Yeah... It was okay. Didn't find it creepy or especially distinctive. I suspect the 90 minute version would have been much better, more interesting. I'll take Elephant Man over this any day. :D

I'll probably watch it again in a month or so, I'm actually rather surprised I did not enjoy it more because this is usually the sort of thing that's right up my alley. I'm going to pick up Chained for Life though, that stars the siamese twins and is on a cheapie disc.

7. The Joker

The Joker Guest

can anyone post some screenshots of how the picture looks?? I wanna pick this up within a couple of days :)