Freaks (2019) - Now On Blu-ray

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Dec 17, 2019.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen Freaks with Emile Hirsch and Bruce Dern?

It was released on blu-ray last week and generated some decent buzz during its festival run.

I have it, but haven't gotten to it yet. Planning to this week.

IMG_20191217_155933.jpg

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Watched this one last night. It's a difficult movie to talk about without spoilers. It starts out as sort of a horror version of Room, or along the lines of 10 Cloverfield Lane. A father and daughter lock themselves away in their house to protect themselves from the dangers of the outside world, but the girl is becoming increasingly curious about what exactly those dangers may be. This is maybe the first 20 minutes, it expands pretty quickly. If you're worried this is going to be one of those two people in a house movies, don't worry, it's not. Pacing isn't an issue here. From there, it evolves into a different genre, in fact it's a genre I generally hate, but the creativity was on display here in spades so I enjoyed it in spite of that. The fact that a majority of it takes place on a single suburban street makes me suspect this is perhaps a more moderately budgeted movie, but you'd never know it.

Highly recommended, especially to those who like movies like 10 Cloverfield Lane or Chronicle where you have an epic scale story on a contained or moderate budget. The way it's presented as a puzzle where the pieces come together the more that is revealed ensures the movie should hold up for a few repeat viewings as well.

fceurich39 likes this.