Fred Olen Ray goes Blu

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jul 13, 2014.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Thank you Katatonia for the info. I placed a pre-order.

Katatonia likes this.
  2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Watched this last night and WOW. It's like watching it for the first time. Considering what we've been watching it looks AMAZING. It's so much fun, too. Backyard filmmaking, for sure, but absolutely a great time. This will be in my top 10 discs of the year when it's all said and done.

Someone needs to release Blood Massacre on blu STAT.

I believe the Alien Dead is next, which I will also pick up, despite the fact it is almost unwatchable.

loutoad23 and MorallySound like this.
  3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

5. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Fuck that pompous wind bag that writes for DVDdrive-in. I rather bash my head against a brick wall than read one of his shitty reviews again.

Angelman was right...the transfer on Alien Factor blew me away. It looks FAR better than I anticipated.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

7. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I haven't sat down with my copy yet. I genuinely enjoy many of those low-budget regional horror movies from the 70's, like The Child, Malatesta's Carneval of Blood, and Brownrigg's Don't films, but I'm expecting The Alien Factor to be even more home-grown than these... I did chuckle at this part of the review:

He does go into tearing the movie apart quite a bit after that, but I'll make up my own mind regarding whether or not I enjoy it, thank you very much! One issue I have with DVD Drive-In is the lack of screen grabs. Come on, it's a site dedicated to reviewing home video releases, throw in some images to break up those long stretches of text and give us an impression of the video quality!

8. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

In response to this release, I watched it elsewhere first before buying it and I have to say that it was a little too bare for me. I caution against a blind buy on this. There are a few ok scenes but...

9. Angelman

If you don't like charmingly earnest homegrown filmmaking, this ain't for you. Personally? I love it.

10. Kim Bruun

Okay, I just watched it, and I have to say that I utterly... enjoyed it! The music is perhaps the strongest aspect of the film (excepting that performed by the rock band). Much is made of the amateur actors, but honestly, none of them are that bad. I'd go so far as to say that Don Leifert has screen presence. That said, what most will probably remember is the monster designs. We get no fewer than five alien species. My personal favourite design is the benign alien, which despite its helpful nature looks pretty frightening. My least favourite would be the wiggy pilot, who is thankfully only shown briefly. The three escaped aliens may not be perfect in execution, but they are conceptually interesting. Obviously not for everyone - an affection for low-budget regional 70's horror is required. Next up from Retromedia: The Alien Dead. I'm undecided. Would you guys say it has the same level of charm as The Alien Factor?

11. Angelman

I'm going to buy it "just because" but it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I would not recommend it.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  12. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

That's the crazy thing, I couldn't get into this, yet I will most likely be buying Microwave Massacre. Also a cheaply done film that I
    happen to like. I wanted to like Alien Factor, but just didn't. Ah hell. I better try it again before the blu sells out. After the HG Lewis boxset disappointment, I can't miss out on another in one week.

That reminds me though, even with HG Lewis, he makes cheaper films and that probably is the reason why I only really like two of his films as well, making that boxset overkill. 2000 Maniacs is remarkable unto itself with Bloodfeast just being an above average SWV entry to me.

13. Angelman

I preordered Microwave Massacre but I remember thinking it was kind of passionless and dreary in addition to being cheap, whereas for me Alien Factor feels fun.

I'm not a huge HG Lewis fan but I like immersing myself in a director's catalog All at once if I can. I just couldn't pass that up.

I have a pretty high tolerance for bad movies though.

x666x likes this.
  14. Kim Bruun

Thanks. That didn't exactly sway me towards a purchase. ;) The Alien Factor was home-grown, low-budget movie magic for me. Not a triumph of artistic intent over practical limitations, but somehow greater than the sum of its parts. I guess I kind of wanted to hear that the same was true of The Alien Dead. Oh well, I'm sure that The Alien Dead at least compares favourably to Alien Beasts! :D

15. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

While I haven't seen either Alien Factor or Microwave Massacre since the 80's I purchased both. At the time I enjoyed them. Saw Alien Factor at least 3 times on network TV and watched Microwave Massacre twice on VHS. There is the nostalgia factor at minimum.

Angelman likes this.
  16. TheWZA

TheWZA Active Member

I had this on the backburner until reading about the low remaining stock (thank you Katatonia). I managed to snag one of the last copies and watched it tonight, and I have to agree that it looks far better than I was expecting. I really appreciate Don Dohler's charming homegrown movies and now I'm thirsty for more on Blu-ray, hopefully the success of this release will cause Retromedia to upgrade Fiend (my favorite of his). Maybe Vinegar Syndrome could do Nightbeast?

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Fiend is with Massacre Video now, but they are planning a new Blu-ray/DVD release for it. They announced it back in October of last year, but seeing as how we're still waiting on Hack-O-Lantern to be released by them who knows how long it will actually be.

VG could probably do Nightbeast, if that one is even still with Troma. They've licensed a number of Troma titles in the recent past.

gobad2003 and Kim Bruun like this.
  18. Kim Bruun

Thank you Kat. I actually asked Fred Olen Ray about this yesterday and he confirmed that Retromedia had only licensed Fiend for a seven year period which had now expired. I was surprised how much I enjoyed The Alien Factor and would love to add more Dohler/Leifert to my collection.

Katatonia likes this.
  19. Angelman

I'd love to have Blood Massacre on Blu.

MisterTwister likes this.
  20. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I'd butcher a dozen midgets for a blu of it. Watched it for the first time last year and loved every single nutty second of it.

Angelman likes this.