"Freddy vs. Jason" Discussion Thread (MERGED)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Suicide, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

"Wonderful" Freddy vs. Jason news

I know theres a thread about this lurking somewhere on the forum, but I think this counts as different news though.

From Fangoria.com:

"August 15: Hodder out of FREDDY VS. JASON?

FREDDY VS. JASON begins shooting in Vancouver on September 9, but it appears that longtime Jason actor Kane Hodder will not be reprising his role in the eagerly awaited grudge match. Both New Line and a distraught Hodder himself tell Fango that the production has been auditioning other performers all week to take over the role, including HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION’s Shape star Brad Loree.

So why is the studio passing on Hodder, who has kept the character alive for the past 14 years and has emerged as a hero to fright fans? Both the actor and an anonymous New Line executive tell Fango that the production has “rethought” the character to make Jason both more sympathetic and a closer physical match to opponent Freddy (Robert Englund, who has signed on). To get an idea of what the filmmakers have in mind, the new Jason casting breakdown calls for an actor “who can emote pain and anguish over the loss of a loved one… [we’re looking for] someone with poetic eyes.” The idea is to make Jason a “sad, pathetic, Phantom of the Opera-type character,” says our New Line source.

Though Hodder has met with director Ronny (BRIDE OF CHUCKY) Yu, he admits that the production wants a “different body type” for the film. New Line, which expects to decide on its Jason star by this weekend, insists that Hodder is still being considered for his dream gig.

In other FREDDY VS. JASON news, screenwriter David (BLADE II) Goyer, who has been periodically involved with the project over the years, is polishing Mark Swift and Damian Shannon’s script, while STIR OF ECHOES’ Fred Murphy will serve as director of photography. In other casting, R&B singer Kelly Roland of Destiny’s Child is expected to take the film's female lead. And in yet another career-defining move for Bill Terezakis of WTC Productions, the Vancouver-based FX artist (HOUSE OF THE DEAD, WILLARD, FINAL DESTINATION 2) will be providing the movie’s special makeup.

“We’re redesigning both the characters, Freddy and Jason,” Terezakis tells Fango. "We’re doing tons of stuff on this film, real interesting effects and makeup.” Regarding his and the industry’s resurgence in creature FX, he adds, “This is the Year of Rubber all over again. Everyone is doing makeup.”

Why must they kill everything I love? My hope for this movie is getting slimmer. Sure it will look good with Yu directing and I'm glad to hear about the "Year of Rubber" thing, but things are looking grim to me. Hopefully that's just rumors, but Fangoria has finally got their Internet shit together so I don't know.

And another thing I can't stress enough, why do they put singers in movies? Is New Line really that desperate for money that they need to try and get people who are fans of these "musicians" to see the movie just to watch their favorite singers act? Arrgh!
    Anyway I'm done.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2002
  2. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Regardless of what they do, I will be there opening night. Having Jason more emotional might suck though simply because he is a killing machine. Pure and simple.

3. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Well, not to be take sides but, Jason was like that in part two...
    then never again... until now I suppose.:rolleyes:

4. rhett

rhett Administrator

I really hope they stay close to the original characters...even if Kane isn't involved. Giving him more emotion would definitely be how Jason was in Part 2, so I could see this idea as a potentially good one. Using rubber rather than CGI is also great, as it will give the film a visual look reminiscent of the previous films in both series (Jason X not included). Looks to be an interesting production...

5. S-10

S-10 Guest

Stokely Chaffin,producer of "I know..." 1 and 2,'Soul Survivors" and other assorted crappy movies,is supposedly producing.
    That explains the shitty news.:(

6. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Yeah, it's not as bad as I make it out to be in my tiny rant there. Just I really have little hope for the movie right now. I really hope I'm wrong though. I wonder what the poster will look like? If there are any floating heads, I'm kicking some ass.

7. John

John Guest

It will be interesting to see how this one turns out. We will all look good wearing t-shirts that have Jasons poetic eyes or Michael Myers puppy dog "don't kill me Laurie" look from H20. :)
    I guess the horror genre is getting in touch with its feminine side.

8. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

As long as they don't throw daisies at each other until their arms get tired I'm fine with it.:D

9. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

You been sneaking a peek at the script again, Chris? That's a spoiler and don't you know it?:D

10. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Anyone who wants to let New Line know that we all want Kane, I strongly urge you to e-mail them at...

movies@newline.com

Please, be polite.

It may be too late, but we can try.

11. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

Well who to says how Jason reacts to Humans, in a cold way, means he also reacts to the supernatural Freddy, maybe there's something in Jason that's got to be different if he's going against Freddy, if they don't do something interesting like this, then they can't make it edgier enough to separate it from the other movies, it must provoke a reaction but be smart and logical and yet moving on, the people behind it want to make a good film, and not all Jason and Freddy films are good films, so not to be more smart, I think would be a let down. This is a unigue vs film, so I think something more fresh merits it.

12. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Sean, no ones looking for an intellectual stimulating picture when they sit down for Jason or Freddy, so I wouldn't count on it :D.

13. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Perhaps the movie will be set in time before each series original movies and all their sequels afterwards. That means that all the rampages wouldn't have nullified the two villians senses.

Or maybe the movie is just gonna suck BIG TYME! :D

14. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I REALLY hope this doesnt suck, but I have a bad feeling that it may. The fact that Hodder is gone, though he isnt THAT important to the role, is a let down. I like knowing that he's donning the hockey mask and not some dipshit fresh off the latest Halloween movie set. And the whole "making Jason feel for people" thing, I think its a horribly shitty idea. Jason is a brutal killing machine. Plain and simple. Doing anything else with his character would just be stupid. Hopefully someone with some brains over there will make the right changes.

15. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

This movie is a bad idea that's just getting worse with every bit of news I hear.:confused:

16. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Well, if it means anything, Superman vs Batman looks like it will suck too ;)

17. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

"Superman vs Batman" has been put on hiatus as of recently. could be a good sign ;)

18. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

i dont know if this has been posted or not (im too lazy to look sorry haha) but on that "other site's board" someone gave news that they where going to make jason sensitive. also have feelings. now i say WHAT THE FUCK? the whole reason we love jason is cause hes a mean bastard that has no heart and doesnt give a shit about anyone. also he kills without reason and saves nobody. the only ones he doesnt hurt are kids. now there going to make him have feelings? maybe thats why kane hodder wasnt doing this movie. he didnt want his legacy of being a bad ass jason to be urinated all over.

19. rhett

rhett Administrator

Jason definitely had feelings in Part 2, caring about avenging his mother's death. It was this Jason that ended up being my favorite, and if this emotions thing is true, I hope they keep it subdued like it was on Part 2. It was not a huge part or anything, but just big enough to make his plight understandable.

20. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

i bet at the end of FvJ, they both give each other a big hug and start crying.

:D