Freddy vs. Jason Trailer (MERGED)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by WesReviews, Jan 13, 2003.

1. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Freddy vs Jason trailer debuts at Fangoria Weekend of Horrors NY (reviews inside)...

Here are reviews by two members of www.fridaythe13thfilms.com who were at the Fangoria convention this past weekend. I've added a couple of extra spoiler tags to their original reviews, for people who want to go into this completely spoiler-free. Over at the Friday board, we've known about these spoilers for some time, but I wasn't sure if you guys knew about them and I didn't want to be a movie-spoiling prick. :) (I urge the rest of you to use spoiler tags when you discuss this as well.)

Trailer review by exnoctem:

"jason and freddy both look BAD ASS!!!!!! it showed some of
    the rave sequence. there was this awesome part were jason is slicing up dancers while he is on FIRE!!!!
    . all in all, the trailer had a very creepy feel. it started showng the elm street jump rope girl and went of on some rap about "evil not having any enemies" or somehting while showing clips of freddy stalking various kids(AMAZINGLY creepy the whole sequence was.....). it then says" untill now............" with a superimposed hockey mask in the back ground. the only complaint i had is there was NO footage of freddy and jason actually fighting each other. but it DID show
    what was probably a dream sequence. jason was drowning in the lake right in front of one of the heriones, when freddy himself jumps out and pulls him under!!!"

Review #2 by me (DedKid):

"I have to second exnoctem's sentiments (we were wondering what happened to you dude!), and judging by the crowd's thunderous applause, I wouldn't be the only one (they cheered 3 times during this minute & a half piece of celluloid nirvana).

The lighting & cinematography have that staple Elm St. surreal quality, lots of fog & blues, very atmospheric stuff. Freddy's looking his best since Elm St. 4 and Jason? Fucking MONSTER. He looks awesome & Kirzinger's take reminded me a lot of Tom Morga from Tommy's delusions in ANB crossed with a dash of CJ Graham. The crowd actually cheered louder for Jason than they did for Freddy. It's looking like the movie's gonna rawk some serious arse & then some

It kicks off with an Elm St. girl singing the Freddy rhyme, then shows clips of Freddy with the narrator saying stuff about how "none can surpass his evil, except one." Cue Mr. Voorhees and the crowd went really insane. The rave in the cornfield is gonna be a highlight - Jason, standing almost as tall as the corn stalks, appears behind a group of revelers & hell breaks loose. They showed Freddy chasing someone through the woods, the scene exnoctem mentioned with the girl on the dock trying to pull young Jason out of the lake as Freddy was trying to drown him, Monica Keena laying awake in bed & it closed with a beautiful high shot of Jason walking down Elm St, machete in hand, with the street sign in the foreground & "Summer 2003"."
    :)

Clarifying questions some board members had, DedKid went on to say...

"The shot of
    young Jason
    was from behind, but
    his head looked pretty damn swollen to me.
    ;)

Again agreeing with ex, the music was very Elm St. I don't recall hearing the ki ki ki, but the crowd was pretty damn lively for it, & I even had trouble catching the whole narrative in the opening.

Brother Wolf, the logo was Freddy vs Jason, but I only caught a fleeting glimpse of it because the asshole in front of me stood up, but it might've been similar to the Freddy's Dead font. They also had www.freddyvsjason.com under the credits. ;)"

I'll keep you guys posted on any further trailer news/reviews. I'm hoping it debuts theatrically with either Darkness Falls or Final Destination 2. Or hell, both of them.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2003
  2. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

I was there. The trailer looks pretty cool. Everyone shouted and applauded when the jump rope girls appeared on the screen. The movie looks like it has potential, so we'll see...

Caroline Munroe was there too - very nice woman.:)

3. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Hmmmm...... as a lifelong fan of both series, I'm still pretty iffy on this flick. Mainly whats doing that for me is the casting though. I suppose I could get past the fact that Hodder isnt donning the mask, but it still feels cheap he isnt there. I cant really say much until I've seen the trailer, but from what I just read, maybe I could be pleasantly surprised after all.

4. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

I not only want to see this movie because of how Freddy and Jason rock but also because Katherine Isabelle(Ginger Snaps) is in it. I've seen pics of her from the movie where it looks like she is in some type of red room or something and she has a hat on. Did it show her in the trailer?

5. Dunwich

Dunwich Guest

mmm didn't know Katherine Isabelle is in it :) great news :)

6. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I could care less that Hodder isn't Jason. It really doesn't matter that much. The best Fridays didn't even include him. Maybe this will give it a freshness that it needs (even tho I did like Jason X).

7. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

You know, I've never understood why people care about who plays a character that says nothing and wears a mask. It just doesn't seem like a valid argument to me one way or another whether a film will be good or not. As far as FvJ goes, I'm not holding my breath. Sounds like a turd, anyway you smear it.

8. Those quick reviews, I must say, got me interested in the movie again. It just sounds pretty damn sweet. I know it's a very easy movie to screw-up but now I'm starting to think there's a slight possibility that it may be good. I can't wait to see the trailer on the net. Thanks for posting!

9. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

Freddy VS Jason, will bring back alot of people who knows these characters, I told my friends like 2 years ago, Freddy vs Jason, didn't believe me, but having them in one film, is just so cool, its hard to avoid, and if the film is decent, then it would be a great joy for fans of both series and horror fans, let Freddy vs Jason be in a quality movie one more time.:D

10. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I'm dying to see this film, and have been forever now, and the fact that the gorgeous Katherine Isabelle is in it makes me want to see it even more! Can't wait to see this trailer!

11. rhett

rhett Administrator

Wow, this makes the film sound even more promising. I was kind of let down that "Let the bodies hit the floor" was not included on the trailer though. :p

12. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

wheras I'm lookig forward to this, I can't help but feel this is horror-hardcore-fans movie, and the inclusion of Kelly Rowland and rapping is just an attempt to get some degree of mainstream interest (by pondering to modern stereotypes and fashion trends). As such, I can't help but feel it's doomed to flop miserably. I hope I'm wrong, it would be a shame.

Something else thats bugging me is potential damage by preview audiences. Studios always seem to tinker with films for the worst after preview audience comments, and I'm worried the bunch New LIne end up with will insist on Freddy having the stupid one-liners added in...:(

13. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

I didnt need the trailer review to get me hyped up about this flick...although it was nice of WesReviews to provide it. I can't wait to see it..Kane Hodder or no. As far as it flopping, I doubt it. The only way I can see this movie failing is if they put it up against or near a widely anticipated release like one of the Matrix Sequels or The Hulk..something like this. If it doesnt have lots of big movies to compete against...it will rock. Also, by the cool DVD release Jason X....you know FVJ is gonna get sweet disc treatment. I can't wait!

14. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Who knows? FvJ may turn out to be decent. I liked Bride of Chucky, so I think Ronny Yu could do a nice job with this. The main thing that puts me off is the decision to follow the trend of including pop singers in the cast. I don't see how horror films benefit from this, as most horror fans can't stand the likes of Destiny's Child or Brandy. But I'll give it a shot.:)

15. S-10

S-10 Guest

The "stupid one-liners" have always been there.They can't be taken away,because they are TOO much a part of the character.

16. New pics if you're interested:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. According to Fangoria:

18. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I'd say the Fango report is a little off, sadly.

Last week, New Line moved Dumb and Dumberer up into the June 13th slot. Most likely, Freddy vs Jason will be released in August.

19. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Thanks for the cool pics, Wicked. :glasses: Anyone else think Jason sorta has that "Part 3" look?

20. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

S-10, the stupid one liners have not always been there, and New Line have already stated that they're not going to be in FvJ.

By stupid one liners I refer to parts 4-6, when the occassional sick jokes Freddy cracked in previous films were replaced with endless bad stand-up comic lines instead. Englund also seemed to overact terribly in 4-6 to me, and the gags woulnd't have been as annoying if he'd have reignied it in a bit.

is there any info on where this film is going to fit in Elm Street continuity? Between 5 and 6 I guess.