FRIDAY CONTEST: Uprooted Sequels

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Sep 11, 2009.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Want to (sleeping) bag yourself some Deluxe DVDs of the upcoming FRIDAY THE 13TH 7 & 8 flicks? We've got three copies of each to give away - here's how you can win. Simply tell us what your favorite sequel away from home is. What's a sequel away from home? It's a sequel that uproots a series from its original location to somewhere completely different.
    [​IMG]

Want to (sleeping) bag yourself some Deluxe DVDs of the upcoming FRIDAY THE 13TH 7 & 8 flicks? We've got three copies of each to give away - here's how you can win. Simply tell us what your favorite sequel away from home is. What's a sequel away from home? It's a sequel that uproots a series from its original location to somewhere completely different. Manhattan in JASON TAKES MANHATTAN, space in CRITTERS 4, medieval times in ARMY OF DARKNESS, etc.

Three lucky winners will receive both FRIDAY THE 13TH, PART VII: THE NEW BLOOD and FRIDAY THE 13TH, PART VIII: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN on Deluxe DVD. The contest will run from today (Friday, what else?!) until street date this coming Tuesday, September 15th.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

So again, all you've got to do is tell us, what is your favorite sequel away from home, and why?

Post a single response in this thread only.

Winners will be randomly picked sometime Tuesday, September 15th, so get your submissions in now!

Attached Files:

2. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I'm going with Horrible! Antropohagus 2! This movie could stand alone as it's own flick. It plays out like typical 80's slasher without too much of the cheese and has the Steelers vs. Rams Superbowl in it :)

3. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'm going to go with The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2. Even though they're pretty settled in their new home, the sprawling, colorful caverns of that old Civil War amusement park are a stark contrast from the quaint little farmhouse that the Sawyer family originated at.

Runner-ups for me would be The Devil's Rejects and The Toxic Avenger Part 2. I guess Army of Darkness would count as a runner-up as well.

4. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

Predator 2

The LA environment was an interesting contrast to the Jungle environment in the first one.

5. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Good call, now I'm conflicted.
    I was gonna say Jason X, as that uprooted everything and was a great comedy IMO, but Predator 2 is among my all time favorite films.
    Tie between those 2!

Come on random selector thingy, daddy needs these to complete the Friday collection.:)

6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Obviously Army of Darkness for me. I love the mixing of the medieval elements with the present day mechanics. The car rode horseback style, the boomstick gun and the chainsaw slicing through medieval monsters. Awesome! And it all works even better seeing as how this movie isn't taken seriously at all.

7. Caspar2112

Caspar2112 New Member

The uprooting of Ash in ARMY OF DARKNESS was a lot of fun, changing the elements as they were presented in their initial simplicity. I have always been a huge fan of the standard, taking a non standard turn in film. Like Freddy into reality in the NEW NIGHTMARE or Michael Myers into a Hospital of slutty nurses and Geriatrics. I guess WAXWORK 2 worked for me well, with its fragmented time story line and it is one of those movies that lends itself to repeated viewings for it's faults and it's many benefits.

8. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

less serious answer: Troll 2. I'm pretty sure Nilbog is a cooler setting than wherever the original was set.

more serious answer: Poltergeist III. They just made great use of that eerie high-rise and, of course, the mirrors.

9. Because I simply CAN'T miss an old school Paramount-era Friday the 13th contest, I have to join in. ;)

Mean while, I can see someone else already feel's the same way, and must say I've always had to go with The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) as my favorite "Sequel Away from Home" (I really like that phrase, by the way).

From the first time I saw an old Media Home Entertainment version towards the flannel-clad mid '90s years, untill my eventually buying it first in a mini mall's Suncoast Video (in which then already retail prices there surely were fucked in the ass), I was truely in love with this sequel from another planet and truely out of this world.

I immdiately thought it was cool that scripter L.M. Kit Carson (Paris, Texas and the Breathless remake) went in a COMPLETELY opposite direction then the much more gritty, documentary style impact of Hooper's first 1974 made seminal classic. From the towards the beginning opening set piece of two preppy, yuppie twits murdered to the tune of Oingo Boingo's "No One Lives Forever" (from the Dead Man's Party album), to the suitably very icky Tom Savini special FX, and it's outragous dark humor (mostly courtesy of good ole' Bil Mosely, of which I feel this film truely first put him on the genre film world map, you must all admit), to the lovely and unusual normal (as in Girl-Next-Girl in a Houston or Dallas subburb type) Stretch (played nicely by Days of Thunder's Caroline Williams) as a very unique heroine who heads deep into the underground abandoned amusement park Sawyer family lair even after such a close encounter of nearly being killed, I KNEW from a very early age I was looking at a seminal Cult Classic winner.

Plus, believe it or not, this is truely my favorite Dennis Hopper performance of all time. 4 stars out of a possible 4 for me.

10. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Army of Darkness for me. One of the only horror sequels to change everything about the series and still be a great movie. The only other one I can think of that comes close is The Devil's Rejects.

11. dayglo

dayglo Member

For me it's definitely Halloween III which is an extreme example of uprooting a series. Even though the premise was radically different, it still kept the "feel" of a Halloween movie. Something every subsequent sequel has failed to do.

Having Tom Atkins in it never hurts either! :)

12. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Child's Play 3 (1991). Military schools always make for a interesting change of scenery in horror movies, a rather underexplored setting with a few exceptions (Evilspeak, Omen 2).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  13. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

I'm going with TCM 2 as well. Out of all the other sequels, I find it to be the most enjoyable entry in the series. I had recently purchased MGM's 2006 Gruesome Edition and got rid of the bare bones DVD released almost a decade ago.

OK... why do I like it? Great gore effects, Dennis Hopper and Bill Moseley's show-stealing performances, and I liked its dark humor as well.

Although I don't have all the Friday deluxe editions as I still need to get The Final Chapter, it'll be great if I could get these for free...please, pick me.

14. anthony1138

anthony1138 New Member

Fright Night 2...

Vampires in college!!!

15. Spitfire

Spitfire Suspiria

Jason X - Jason in outer space.

16. marcx

marcx New Member

How about Aliens? The colony was creepy yet allowed for expansive action and an increase in the number of Aliens...

17. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

Just for the fun of it I'd say Jason X. It was in space, great kills, stupid story, nanobots, cyborgs, and a bunch of really hot chicks.

If we're talking non-horror it might be Rambo 2.

18. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

Can I choose Home Alone 2? I liked NY and the hotel plot. Horror related, Jason X was lots of fun, love Season of the Witch, and I consider Dream Warriors is away from home since the action revolves around the psychiatric clinic and the Elm St. house appears only in dreams.

19. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

Leprechaun 4 - In Space

i laughed my ass off with that ridiculous piece of sh*t

20. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Army of Darkness is my favorite because seeing Ash away from the cabins and in a different place was lots of fun.