FRIDAY CONTEST: Uprooted Sequels

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Sep 11, 2009.

1. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

It's Halloween III for me as well. O'Herlihy is a great villain and Atkins is practically an action hero. And you have to love the scene where he disregards the "misfire" in the adjoining hotel room to finish taking care of business. "Who cares?" indeed.

The score, Cundey's awesome cinematography, and the great Halloween atmosphere lock it up for me.

2. streetlight

streetlight Member

I really enjoyed the setting of Prom Night 4: Deliver Us From Evil, where the four teens get dressed up, take a limo, drive PAST the prom, into some old house/mansion in the country.

3. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Demons 2 - The whole security laden highrise thing and the demon coming out of the TV... not to mention that super awesome demon dog too!! I find it alot more fun than the first movie! better effects... and the chick from "Opera"! :)

4. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I guess Wes Craven's New Nightmare would fit into this category, wouldn't it? Moving the setting from fiction to the real world? If so, that one's my choice. Otherwise I'd go with Army of Darkness!

5. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Halloween III: Season of the Witch for me. It's such an eerie film. Carpenter's score really encases the whole thing in a feeling of inevitable doom from the very beginning.

Honorable mention to Ghoulies II. I love carnival settings. Also to Escape From L.A. for it's pitch-perfect social commentary.

6. KappaMoth

KappaMoth Guest

I'll have to agree with Marz, Dawn of the Dead. Somehow Romero managed to get the same claustrophobic feeling of NotLD while placing them in a structure 100x the size. And besides that, who doesn't love looting?

7. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning

Pinehurst instead of Crystal Lake, but it still has that oldschool feel. And I love it for that! :)

8. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

The Boiler Room in Nightmare on Elm Street!!!

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

INFERNO takes the witchery from the Black Forest Tanz Academy in Germany and sets it down in a surrealists version of New York City where the spirits of ancient evil slip into the multicolored hues of a sinister apartment building.No matter where the forces of darkness settle,the place exhudes death and decay.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  10. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Halloween III came to mind when I first read this thread. Another one is Son of Godzilla. You have a movie with Godzilla and his son on a tropical island. G' came a long way from being solo and destroying Japan! lol

11. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

Definitely HALLOWEEN III for me as well. As dayglo said, it managed to capture that Halloween feel and mood like no other sequel after it despite the fact that it wasn't even really a sequel to begin with! Amazing!

12. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Empire Strikes back opens on the snowy planet of Hoth. It was a great contrast to the desert planet Tatooine from the first film. The Hoth battle scene is one that few can deny is freakin' awesome.

13. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey when Ted takes over his dad's body. When he and Bill do the "EXCELLENT!" shred guitar part, Ted (as his dad) has his sound like a mellow jazz guitar riff.

Kills me every time.

14. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Great thread idea! I really do love it when a series goes in some different direction like this. There are so many great ones: ALIENS, CHILDREN OF THE CORN III: URBAN HARVEST, THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2, JASON X, HOWLING II: YOUR SISTER IS A WEREWOLF, ILSA: HAREM KEEPER OF THE OIL SHEIKS, and SHAFT IN AFRICA to name but a few. But I have too much love for HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH. I know, it's a very polarizing film for genre fans, but Carpenter & Company really stuck their necks out with this one and, had it not had the "Halloween" name attached to it, I am sure that it would have done better. It's creepy, funny, a little bit gross, and has the best jingle ever created. Is it a "sequel" in the traditional sense? No. But that's what makes it so great and, to be honest, you can't really get any more uprooted than this movie.

My fantasy is that, after all of this remake shit dies down, someone will continue Carpenter's original vision for the series.

15. Kodiac Jack

Kodiac Jack New Member

Definitely Scream 2. Sydney will ever really escape her past no matter where she goes.

I also like Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 and that weird museum place the family moves into. Loads of gore from Tom Savini doesn't hurt either.

Devil's Rejects in third. This movie is Zombie's masterpiece.

16. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

I'm going to have to say Halloween III: Season Of The Witch.

Having uprooted to Santamira, its quite a change from Haddonfield, but in a way I like the setting of Santamira better as it just has the air of being watched about it, and I find the idea of someone spying on me pretty scary

17. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Halloween III...better than pretty much any of the Halloween sequels featuring Myers.

18. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Dawn of the Dead for me. What's cooler than taking a trip from home to stay in a mall? Nothing!

19. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'll pick Gremlins II. Hilarious and disgusting. I recently watched this with my friend and his 8-year old daughter. I guess I'd forgotten how gruesome it was, that spider gremlin scared the hell out of her.

20. Goregasm

Goregasm Guest

Absolutely Child's Play 3. Chucky at a military camp. Gold.
    It's gotten a lot of flack over the years and I think it's been way overdone.