Friday the 13th Box Set - You buyin'?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by zombi3, Apr 24, 2004.

?

Are you ready to slam down your hard-earned dollar$?

1. Sure, it's better than nothing.

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
  2. Hell no, Paramount isn't getting another penny out of me.

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. Maybe - I'm still on the fence.

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. Depends on the price.

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. And that's from the head of Paramount eh?

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--Yeah, I doubt we see anything better for a real long time.--

We can always live out in the hopes of other regions ;)

-- How the hell could Paramount NOT record a commentary for the original?--

It already exists!!! The R2 disc had a Director's commentary, just to add insult to injury.

3. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

As I've not purchased any of the Paramount Friday films on DVD, I'll be taking the plunge this time. Yep, I'm might peed off that they're flippers and I'm frustrated beyond words that they're releasing the "R" rated cuts but, for me, it's better than what I have at the moment. :eek:

I completely understand everybody's frustrations but as I've not dipped before, I feel it's time.

4. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

No, it's from Peter Bracke. I don't know how much he knows, but he posted it and I quoted it. I assume he knows more than any of us and he'd probably be in some hot water right now if he started posting false info. Actually, it was the head of Paramount who said he was "dying to prove us all wrong" when Friday fans initially suggested that his company would probably drop the ball on this set.:rolleyes:

5. I'm just saying it's a sad state of the world when we feel that DVD companies OWE us something. There are a hell of a lot of movies out there not even on DVD yet. The fact that they are releasing them with any extras is better than what they released them with last time.

6. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

I don't think they owe us anything. If that were the case, then I'd say they should be handing out the dvds for free. If they turn out a quality product, then people will pay top dollar for it and everybody's happy. If they produce more crap, then I don't want it and they ain't gettin' my money. It's that simple.

7. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I've already bought part 1 through 5, and now with this news it looks like I'll just complete my set with the current stand-alone discs. If the box set would have contained 2 or more of the films uncut then Paramount would have had my money. If this is what were gonna get then screw them.

8. That's my thought exactly...if you don't like what they put on the DVD instead of complaining, just don't buy it.

9. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Well I've got to go along and say "fuck Paramount." That's complete bullshit about not getting a commentary for 1 or 4, as Cunningham, Zito, and Savini are all obviously willing to contribute (as they have with past DVDs). This is just more of Paramount ignoring the fans and doing what is convenient for them. I don't have 5-8, but was looking forward to revisiting them. Unless I can get this for under $30-40, they can kiss my ass.

10. Dunwich

Dunwich Guest

will probably start to buy the barebones disc because I could care less for commentary. I usually listen to them only once... and I still haven't listen to half of the one I have. was only waiting for this box set for the uncut movies. if they aren't uncut the barebones disc will be enough for me.

11. rhett

rhett Administrator

No, they don't "owe" us anything, but it would be nice for them to repay the fans that helped keep their company thriving throughout the 80s. The problem I have though, is that this seems less for the fans and more for their wallet. In ways they are exploiting the fans, because they know no matter what there is going to be a shit load of people who WILL pay for these discs. We all know what it is like to be a collector and have to own every possible new release of a film. The Star Trek DVDs are great examples of Paramount treating their fans with respect, justifying a double dip. This proposed box set (provided the specs remain the same) is just an example of throwing out a shoddy product just to capitalize on fans. They've had YEARS to get supplements and uncut prints, the fact that they've all of a sudden run out of time is a joke. Years of petitioning and hard work, and this is what we get? How can you not help but feel underwhelmed?

12. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Thank satan's big red balls for other regions where they actual care, and where we can get uncut versions of these movies, well only part 1 for now, but hopefully the rest will follow someday, but never in the US :mad:

13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I voted "still on the fence" but that was before I actually read the thread and found out that these would still be the "cut" versions. Now, I'll just have to pass. I already own all 8 and even though the box set will have commentaries on 3 of the movies and a few extras thrown in, I have a sneaky suspicion that they'll be the same transfers as the original releases. The knowledge that they'll be flippers doesn't ease my mind any. It just reminds me of what Anchor Bay did with their Hammer releases. Hey! Is there any chance that Paramount may be losing their rights to the franchise? Nah, that's too much to ask for!

14. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Paramount holds the international rights to 2 - 8, so don't expect anything in regards to those films.

15. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

There is no way i am buying unless they are uncut and all have features.And i would hope that others fell the same way.
    Why support a company that claims they are for the fan's and will deliver and then hold out and skimp?

Hell no for me.

16. latenite

latenite Guest

this pisses me off. i decided to not pick up any of the barebones dvds because i figured they would be released as a set eventually, loaded with extras and cut scenes. if any paramount employees are reading this, tell your boss he can suck my balls if he thinks i'm gonna pay money for this b.s. :mad:

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Before reading the news I voted "depends on the price," and after the news I'd have to say it's still my vote but the price would have to be even lower now. :D

If they're not uncut, they're not really worth it. Uncut anamorphic remasterings of the director's cut in the original aspect ratio, maybe then I'd buy.

18. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

i'm interested in getting part 6. It's the only one I didn't pay for (besides part 8 which I hate anyway). I'm still on the fence. The commentaries are attractive, but I'm pretty unimpressed with this treatment, so I'm a maybe.

19. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Personally, I think all of us should send a message to Paramount by not buying this set, unless of course it lives up to your expectations. By purchasing this so-called "box set", we are telling Paramount that we will pick up any pile of crap they throw at us. Why should bad business be rewarded?

20. zombie359

zombie359 Guest

Paramount can go fuck themselves for their fucked up treatment of this boxset. hey maybe new line can buy the rights to this franchise and put out a better boxset. Any one got thier number :D , or maybe one of us can start a camapign to make them think otherwise.