Friday the 13th Box Set - You buyin'?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by zombi3, Apr 24, 2004.

?

Are you ready to slam down your hard-earned dollar$?

1. Sure, it's better than nothing.

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
  2. Hell no, Paramount isn't getting another penny out of me.

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. Maybe - I'm still on the fence.

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. Depends on the price.

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. dayglo

dayglo Member

I believe they were offered a chance to lease the titles out by Anchor Bay and New Line.

They said no both times. :(

2. zombie359

zombie359 Guest

i dont understand this, if paramount wants to disrespect this fracnhise , and from the looks of things, they want nothing to do with it, then why dont they just sel it, thats the big question :confused: :eek2:

3. dayglo

dayglo Member

They know there's money to made off it, thank the success of Freddy Vs. Jason for that. If it had failed, I'm pretty sure they'd have left the films alone.

4. I'm still on the fence about it.

I only own Parts 1, 7 & 8. I held off buying the rest as soon as I heard the possibility of a box set coming out.

I'm a tad disappointed they will not be uncut & is the one thing that is having me think twice about buying this friggin' thing.

It'll probably come down to if the price is right. Otherwise I'll just get my missing F13 pieces at DDD.com for $9.36 a pop.

5. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I actually reaed somewhere that they are pursuing a commentary track for both parts 1 and 4. Off that bloody disgusting site:

"So far, the following commentary tracks have been recorded:

Part 6: Director Tom McLoughlin
    Part 7: Director John Carl Buechler and Kane Hodder
    Part 8: Writer/Director Rob Hedden
    Part 3: Cast commenatry, featuring Dana Kimmell, Paul Kratka, Richard Brooker, Larry Zerner and will be moderated by Peter M. Bracke.

Word around the campfire is that Toolbox (the DVD producers) don't want the fans to be dissapointed, and are pushing to get tracks for parts 1 and 4 recorded.

The infamous uncut footage will surface in the following forms: Parts 1 and 6 will feature side-by-side comparisions of the R-rated and unrated cuts, while The New Blood's deleted footage will be presented as a montage (with commentary by John Buechler). The Final Chapter's TV version scenes are included, as well as a gag reel (with a shot or two of uncut gore) from Jason Takes Manhattan.

Also included are various new interviews including Sean Cunningham, Adrienne King, Betsy Palmer, Amy Steel and many, many other cast & crew from the 8 films.""

By the way I accept the appology from everyone who dissed me when I told you all months ago that this thing was gonna be on four double sided discs. ;) As someone who owns all of the bare-bones discs, I'm on the fence still - price is a huge factor, as is packaging and such.

6. Damed

Damed Guest

Well, I've waited on buying any of the F13 flicks so I could get the boxset, so it's a no brainer for me.

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I actually was thinking about this last night, going over what I felt and said, and came to the same conclusion. Since I love these movies and don't own them on dvd yet (except for 3 and 4), I will end up owning it, but I will wait and either buy it used or trade for it. Paramount will not get my hard earned $'s for a half-assed dvd set.
    I feel insulted by this. They shit on the horror crowd while they suck off the Star Trek geeks?!
    You're not shitting on me P, I will shit on you!
    The worst news is that P owns the rights for 2-8 overseas, as I was gonna wait for other regions as well. Freddy V Jason seems to be a curse and blessing at the same time. If that movie failed big-time, I bet this boxset wouldn't have made. But P might've sold the rights to AB or someone who cared. Since FvJ did well, I have an awesome dvd of that movie which I love, but will probably never get good dvds of the first 8 (with the exception of 1, which I am now about to order since I figured the version on the boxset would be about the same). FvJ was a no-win for fans of the whole series as soon as it got green-lighted, we were gonna get fucked one way or another, either by NL or P!
    I stand by my original vote of not buying it. I'm 99% sure studios get nothing for used sales, so I will feel allright buying it that way down the road as I won't support them with the purchase. Then again, if I can get the set for around $25, I probably won't be able to pass, convictions or not!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2004
  8. sumo8675309

sumo8675309 Active Member

10 to 1 it's gonna be in a digi pack in the shape of a hockey mask

9. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I'll take that bet!
    How much?
    Digi-pack, maybe.
    Hockey mask shape would be too cool for the skimp-asses at P!

10. dayglo

dayglo Member

The gag reel has since been removed last minute from what I've read. Another thing to be not happy about, there's a rights issue with the Alice Cooper video for part VI.

11. Cerio

Cerio New Member

While I am disappointed with some of the things I've been hearing, I'm still going to buy it. I don't have any of the films on DVD, I specifically waited because I knew a boxset was coming.

One thing I can't believe is the lack of features for the original. You would think that one especially would be pampered with extras. Commentaries, uncut, etc. :p

12. dayglo

dayglo Member

I'll still buy it as well, but I'm gonna go secondhand. I know Paramount can do better, so I'll just not give them my money. I have no problems with used discs anyway. :p

13. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Not really, they shit on them too. They did put out nice SEs of the films, but they gave barebones discs at first. That's why I waited to buy them and the Friday films, though the SEs of the Trek films seem to be nice complete packages. I, too would rather have more complete Friday films, but since I don't own them, I'll probably get them as well!

14. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Cerio, cool avatar and welcome! :D

15. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Especially since the R2 disc has all this!

Alright people, I am the first to admit that I'm not very knowledgable on the F13th series. I'm a Halloween kind of guy up until now, and never felt a need for yet another unstoppable monster. All this talk though pushed me to buy in (helped immeasurably by the R2 version of the first movie).

I have so far bought parts I, II and III. I have now watched them all.

I now better appreciate where you are all coming from.

Part I

The R2 disc is reference quality. They have done a serious remastering on this one, and it looks terrific - like it was made yesterday.

Part II

The transfer could do with an update. It's a little soft, and the colors are not very vibrant. Worse though, the death scenes are so obviously truncated it somewhat ruins what is in fact a pretty good film. This needs to be uncut without a doubt.

Part III

Again, the transfer is soft. Mind you, the acting in this one is sub par (compared to the other two, anyway). Also, I now understand the calls for a 3D version to come out. Without 3D, it looks pretty silly at times, with things coming right up to the camera. Sadly, some silly scenes were added for effect (3d that is) that really do nothing but slow the film down (the yo-yo, the juggling, for instance).

So without a doubt - parts II and III really could look a lot better. II, without it being uncut, is a film with a lot of potential - but its not fully realized.

The current transfers might have been good for the time in which they were released - but by today's standards they're of only middling quality, imo.

It will be interesting to see reviews of the new set, to see if they have substantially improved the picture quality. I know they can, since the first part is amazing to behold.

16. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Guest

I already own all the movies so I won't be buying them. When I first heard that a box set was coming out I was pissed that I had bought them all only 6 months earlier, but now that I hear what the box set is going to include I noticed the sting is gone.

17. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

I was going to compliment Cerio for the avatar, but i see its been done already.

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Upon reflection, perhaps we've asked too much of Paramount. They're a company with a lot more important things on their mind then the Friday the 13th series' DVD release.

That's not to say that the release couldn't have been better, but if Paramount's decade long stance is to release R rated movies, it would take a decision a lot higher up the ladder than the DVD department to O.K. an unrated release. So they dug it up anyways and tossed it in like a deleted scene.

Also the international release is a Warner product, so Warner owns the rights to all the content. Sure it's an ego thing, but I'm REALLY not surprised they didn't license Warner's extras. Infact even before the announcement I wasn't expecting them to.

But like I said before, it'll all depend on the price. We all seemed happy enough with the R rated releases before.

19. agentc

agentc Member

Maybe, not sure yet. It's probably the best we'll get. Looking at these specs they certainly could've put alot more effort into the releases, but as already stated they might still surprise! Ya never know.