Friday the 13th Boxset

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Nemesis, Jan 25, 2004.

1. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Well maybe Paramount is experiencing these "budgetary restraints" because they blew their wad on finding and restoring the uncut footage. Right...anyway, I would take uncut versions over commentaries any day. Honestly, if all the films were released unrated, then I could care less about commentaries, though it would be real nice to have both. Regarding the extra footage for Part 6, I believe it will be included only as an extra because its source is apparently a really crappy looking VHS tape. I have to say that this kind of news popping up this late in the game is quite discouraging. Here we are, five months before the release of the box set and they are just now discovering some extra (very rough) footage for one of the films that will most likely not even be incorporated into the movie. Doesn't look too good for the rest of the series either at this point. Plus Paramount is apparently skimping on certain extras now citing "budgetary restraints", which will undoubtedly be more than covered when we all plunk down 100+ of our hard-earned dollars for these things. I don't know about you guys, but my enthusiasm for this set is dwindling fast. I mean, we are talking about Paramount here. :gay:

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

:cry: :cry: :cry:
    I was afraid this would happen. Sucks to right all the time!

3. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

More news, and it looks like Paramount came to their senses:

Peter Bracke here, some good news. The Tom McLouglin commentary is being recorded tomorrow, and we are doing the Part 3 commentary on Friday (how fitting). Lined up some great folks and I will post more here afterwards.

Hopefully I can find out more and post after Friday regarding the box set as a whole.

Everyone at the site was bitching about them not doing the commentary for Part 6, but it was said that McLoughlin kept pushing for it, and actually offered to do it for free, so it looks like Paramount finally agreed. I'm still annoyed that they're supposedly not using seamless branching to include the uncut footage in the actual film though.

4. Mario77

Mario77 New Member

Hey Cujo, is that Peter Bracke quote from somewhere other than DVDFile? Just curious if he posts regularly somewhere else.

I'm looking forward to his book on the F13 franchise.

5. It's from the Friday the 13th Forum...

6. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

7. Mario77

Mario77 New Member

Thanks. I thought that would be the obvious place but wasn't sure.

8. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Some news from the Friday the 13th board:

Well there you have it, NO uncut versions-not a one! Commentaries for FOUR of the EIGHT films! Flipper discs!:hum: I don't think I'll be getting this set.:mad:

PS: Fuck you, Paramount. :fuck:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2004
  9. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Flipper discs? The hell?

So far, I am seeing no reason to upgrade from the discs I already have, especially when I have an uncut version of Friday the 13th which came with a pretty good documentary anyway. I don't like commentaries THAT much anyway; certainly not as much as I HATE flipper discs. Jeez.

Besides, should I want it, that extras disc is going to be plenty accessible on ebay or various download sites. It isn't worth buying ALL the movies over for at this rate.

Flipper discs? Good God. I may put up with them occasionally, but certainly not if I have a choice not to, aka the barebones discs I already have.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2004
  10. Mario77

Mario77 New Member

Wow, this is very disappointing news. Very.

I expected at least one or two of them to make it uncut. What shit. What total shit.

Probably no 5.1 mixes for any of them either (except 7, which already got one), and definitely no field-sequential 3-D option on 3 (okay, laugh, I know I was really holding my breath on that one.)

All I can say is that the MSRP better really fuckin' reflect the fact that they shoved everything onto five discs if I'm even going to consider this as a purchase!

11. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

wow...just, wow...

Those old barebone discs I've passed up all this time are looking much better these days.

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, I recently bought the current releases because they were so damn cheap - kind of got tired waiting. Now.... flipper discs! You know, I hate them so much it makes me want to sell any disc I find is one. Think about it - Jason is a freaking huge knife wielding killer. Flipper is a dolphin. Jason would not have anything to do with dolphins. :fuck: :fucked:

13. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

VERY pissed about this! None of them will be uncut, the DVDs will be fucking flippers, and they didn't even get commentaries for all eight movies?! The whole Paramount staff can go to Hell!

14. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

Exactly my thoughts. I thought that Paramount was finally going to make good with this set but now it feels so rushed and half ass.

15. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

Now that I've thought about this for a few minutes, I guess on some level I, and anyone who has put off buying 1-8 in hopes of an uncut box set owe Paramount some thanks. False hopes kept me from spending all that money when the previous releases cost a buttload. Paramount, my wallet thanks you, while my heart curses you and your loved ones to slow, painful deaths.

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well seriously, I bought parts 2 and 3 in a store for 8 bucks each. I mean, it's chump change. They actually look good too.

17. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

This really sucks bigtime. I can't believe I'm never going to be able to watch part 3 in 3D. It has been a monkey on my back my whole life. I went to the theatre to see it,and they wouldn't let me in because my "guardian" didn't look old enough. I am so sad. :( But hey, on a lighter note, Summer School is coming out in a few months. I wonder if that will be uncut ;) ...... :fucked:

18. KingJeff

KingJeff Guest

I'm excited that they actually did anything.

I could care less about uncut versions. A half a second of gore here and there doesn't do anything for me. I like the commentaries. The R3 (or is it R2?) of part 1 has a neat featurette.

I think it'd be awesome if fans got together to do "fan commentaries" for the films. The "fan commentary" on Day of the Dead is one of the best.

19. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Paramount needs to let go of these titles and New Line needs to pick em up for some truely much needed SE action! Like fucking NOW! :mad:

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

How lame of Paramount. I wonder if any of the films even got a new transfer, or are they just ports from the old DVD's?!? And if they're flipper discs I'll probably take a pass on buying the box. I already have all of the Friday The 13th DVD's, and it looks like I'll be happy to hold onto them.

If the boxset will be under $40 when it's released I might still pick it up just for the scant new extras, but if it's more like $60+ I'll pass.