Friday the 13th remake in the works (interview inside)

Discussion in 'General' started by RickB, Oct 23, 2005.

1. RickB

RickB New Member

New interview talks of a remake of the original film plus Freddy v.s. Jason v.s Michael Myers.

'Friday the 13th' Alums Celebrate 25 Years
    By MICHAEL CIDONI, Associated Press Writer
    2 hours ago

LOS ANGELES - Happy 25th birthday, Jason. Alumni of the long-running "Friday the 13th" horror-flick series gathered at Universal Studios for closing night of the ScreamFest Horror Film Festival and a 25th-anniversary party celebrating all things Jason Voorhees _ that hockey mask-wearing, machete-wielding, mass-murdering central character of the 11 low-budget films.

"It's 25 years later, and it's wonderful," said series producer Sean S. Cunningham.

The Saturday night gathering also marked the unveiling of the sort of item usually reserved for a higher-brow Hollywood party: a glossy, lavishly illustrated, hardcover coffee-table book, "Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th," by entertainment reporter Peter M. Bracke.

With a young actress on his arm _ screaming, of course _ an actor in a Jason costume was treated to "Happy Birthday" sung by many of the performers who'd played Jason's victims.

After being asked to cut the first piece of his birthday cake, "Jason" whipped out his machete and hacked it to pieces, to the delight of dozens of cheering fans.

As alumni signed copies of Bracke's book, they reminisced about their work on the series.

"I was Jason's first victim," bubbled actress Bobbi Morgan, who appeared in the 1980 original "Friday the 13th," in which Camp Crystal Lake served as the setting for a slew of murders. "(I) had to jump out of the jeep, and run into the woods where it would be safe. And I ran, and (Jason) finally got me and he slit my throat. He got me! I never even made it to the camp."

Actress Diana Barrows appeared in "Friday the 13th VII: The New Blood" 17 years ago, and said she still gets fan response from all over the globe.

"I was in Poland two weeks ago, and I met these kids that love 'Friday the 13th,' and asked me for autographs," she said. "Fan mail from Japan. Fan mail from Australia. (I'm amazed by) the fact that it's so international."

ScreamFest's Rudy Scalese observed: "We love to hate Jason because he's one of those characters that everyone can connect with. In the beginning, at least, he was truly scary. But then he sort of became a little bit more of an icon people can cheer and root for, the same way you root for villains in one of the James Bond movies, or you clap for villains in one of those 'Fantastic Four' movies. Same thing."

And it seems Jason isn't done killing yet.

"Well, you know, it's no surprise they're actually planning another film," revealed author Bracke. "It's going to be another team-up film, with Freddy (Krueger of the "Nightmare on Elm Street" series) vs. Jason vs. Michael Myers (of the "Halloween" films), which makes sense. And then they're talking about remaking the first movie and starting all over again ...

"They'll just keep makin' them. Why stop at 25 years?"

2. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

What? remake i don't like, reimagining I can handle and freddy vs jason vs michael I can relish :D

3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I'm sure they meant Robbi Morgan. Besides, we all know who the real killer in the first one was, don't we? ;)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Yeah, I read this as well over on Yahoo. I'm not sure why they need to remake the original "and starting all over again." Do they mean that they are looking to remake the other movies in the series as well? That doesn't make much sense since most of them were retreads of the original anyway.

Oh well, I'm just happy that more Jason movies are in the works!!! :p

5. nukfut

nukfut Guest

Huh? I know you're just there to sign some autographs and make a few bucks but at least get your facts straight.

6. RickB

RickB New Member

Jason is hands down my favorite movie killer. Freddy started out great but by part 3 he was too much humor and he just got silly. Michael is great (my second favorite killer) but he moves too slow and just never seemed as threatening as Jason. I can die happy IF the Freddy,Jason and Michael movie happens. I think I'll even enjoy the remake as I'm such a big fan. I actually thought Halloween and Exorcist would get remade before Friday the 13th,but I expect all 3 to happen sooner or later.

7. Ash J. Williams

Ash J. Williams New Member

Wow. I think I jinxed us in the other thread. Sorry, guys.

8. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I don't mind the idea of a remake. Just means the series will go back to Crystal Lake and let's be honest, whether it's a remake or a new movie, it'll basically be the same anyway.

FVJVM would be pretty awesome though.

9. betterdan

betterdan Guest

10. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

retards need to stop buying tickets to remakes and maybe the studios will stop the madness. until then we are all doomed to wallow in recycled grade B rancid shit, which you will buy on dvd anyway, cause you all have issues. :eek: :sleepy:

11. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Bring 'em on...

12. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

I knew it!

13. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Me .... you
    [​IMG]

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Lame, lame, lame. It might actually turn out and be half decent, but who is truly expecting it to live up to the original?

15. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I don't understand why they have such a hard time trying to "reinvent" this franchise. I like some of the efforts mind you, but the best thing to do has always been to put Jason at the damn lake with some teens of ill repute and let the killing commence. It isn't rocket science.

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

They should just introduce Jason's long lost twin brother Jethro and start over from there. Make him wear a tu-tu and pantyhose mask, and kill with a giant stolen dildo or something.

17. skmastaz

skmastaz New Member

I don't really mind them redoing the first one, as long as they mix things upit is to restart the franchise. I wouldn't mind this because they kind of dug themselves into a hole. It's kind of like how I was happy when they said they were restarting the Batman franchise, because the last couple weren't so good.

18. Fumi

Fumi Member

A "remake" of the original? Parts 2, 3, and 4 were the best remakes that could possibly be made, not to mention the countless remakes made by other film makers, but now we get Hollywood in the year 2005 going for a remake? Visions of PG-13, Paris Hilton in a cameo and a ton of CGI start dancing through my head. Oh, and didn't The Fog remake just hit theatres? :sleepy:

I'd be all for another sequel, but the work "remake" just makes me think that these people don't have any ideas, don't care to be bothered with trying to come up with any, and are surrounded by people who hide behind the word "remake" as if we're too stupid to see through it.

19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Crock of shit, I believe it when I see it. (on the Friday remake)
    What in the works???????? Did you read the article, just pure speculation.

And as far of Freddy vs Jason vs. etc..... You know how much red tape to go thru, with the different studio rights. It will be a long time.

P.S. - by the way I'm probably one of the few that waited for cable on the Freddy vs. Jason movie. And its the only DVD that I WILL NOT BUY. I own all the Nightmare and Friday movies except for that one. Still can't get over the use of Ken Kirzinger over Kane Hodder stunt. That director is dead to me. Ronny (hey lets make Chucky a comedy) Yu. And I hope nobody brings up well Hodder was not in 2 thru part 6. True but he was not screwed over. And told he was not good enough for the Freddy vs. Jason movie. Please....................

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  20. RickB

RickB New Member

I think a remake could be interesting. Better then the original? Never...BUT better then alot of the new horror in theaters now? Yes. I would like to see the remake have a new twist. No Jason's mother as the killer. I would just like Jason to be the killer from the start (with maybe his mother there guiding him) but Jason basicly doing the killing for revenge of what happened to him as a child (drowning) not because he saw his mother get beheaded.