Friday the 13th remake in the works (interview inside)

Discussion in 'General' started by RickB, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

Where could they have picked up from that would have satisfied you? Continuing Jason X on Earth 2? Emerging from the water after Freddy vs Jason? Starting off in Hell after Jason Goes to Hell? The continuity of this series was pretty much a clusterfuck. A reboot/remake/relaunch was really the only way to go.

Yeah, heaven forbid somebody should actually want to make money. I mean, it's not like the originals were cheap rip offs themselves. How dare they sully the name of such a prestigious franchise.

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

I have no problem with them "rebooting" the franchise, but as Rhett said, I just wish they had included Jason in it, along with a typical camp setting.

Second weekend numbers were released today.

80.7% drop from opening weekend!

WOW! That is legendary. Still, they made more than enough opening night to justify a sequel, but I do feel some relief that this movie clearly got horrible word of mouth.

3. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah I never thought of that, but that is a good point, where are all the cabins? That is one thing I wished they did with this film, set it up at a reopening of a camp resort. Hopefully the do that for the sequel!

As for the backstory, I think even though this is a reboot, that they just figured everybody and their mother knows the history of Jason Vorhees, so they didn't want to waste too much time with it. It would have been nice if they at least had a few shots of jason as a boy drowning though, but again, maybe they'll include it for the sequel. I see it more as just another sequel, but ignoring all the mythology they screwed up over the years.

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Wow that is pretty terrible, hopefully it doesn't scare them off from a sequel, although it's opening weekend should be enough to warrant that.

I have one question though, who the hell keeps going to those man dressed as a woman Tyler Perry movies!? It made $41 million, assuring a 6th movie to the horrible franchise. But really, who are you people? I want names now dammit! That and Paul Blart's success makes me hate the world we live in right now.

5. Next up; Madea Scared Stupid!

6. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Eh, black people. :)

7. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

Why do you care?

8. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I care because if people are going to see crap like that, they are taking away money that could be spent on something better. Sick of seeing great movies make no money and movies like that do well. Like come on, there are 5 of them already! Then you have movies like Trick R Treat not getting released because they are afraid it might not make any money, because everyone is too busy going to see Tyler Perry for the 5th time!

9. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

Funny, everything you said could apply to the horror genre, as well. I’m sure you’re just exaggerating for effect, but the idea that Trick R Treat isn’t being released because of Tyler Perry movies is beyond ridiculous. Personally, I'm happy that a small studio like Lionsgate is doing well and that they have a couple of cash cow franchises that make enough money that they can afford to take risks on smaller, less mainstream projects.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  10. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Spawning Blue, I'm sure there were many people scratching their heads after seeing how much the F13 remake made in its first weekend and went "what the fuck?" The Tyler Perry movies make a lot of money because they appeal to a large audience, and while opinions vary, are probably pretty good.

11. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Yeah, how dare they make a fifth movie in a series while we're trying to talk about the twelfth Friday the 13th!

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah thats all fine and dandy after two movies, but 5 movies about a guy dressed as an old women. Hell, I'll admit I enjoyed the first Nutty Professor when i was younger, but I'm glad they stopped after part 2! And it looks like the critics agree as they have all pretty much hated it (26% on Rotten Tomatoes). Even a lot of the fans who loved the play that its based on hated the movies (Box Office Mojo, 44% who saw it gave it an F), so who is going to see them? Honestly!?

Anyways, I don't care, enjoy the flicks all you want. I just think it's sad that the movies have become full of such tripe that there are 5 movies of that franchise, and movies like Paul Blart are making hundreds of millions. It shows what a decline Hollywood has got itself into. And yes, I enjoy lots of stupid comedies myself, but even I gave up after American Pie 3. If that franchise continued I would probably be complaining about the same thing (Well they did, but straight to video doesn't really count). What comedy series has lasted that long and made that much money? None that I can think of. Is this the crowning achievement in comedy, a man dressed as an old women!?

Anyways, I originally made the snark comment as a joke, but since you guys are defending it, it makes me think how sad it is! I have no problems with cheesy comedies making money, but the fact that there are 5 of these movies, again, about a man dressed as an old women! Come on, it's like making 5 movies about poo jokes.

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have to agree with you guys. Seems like there's a touch of irony to this argument, no?

Honestly, it's not like Friday the 13th was some sort of masterpiece. Even though some of you enjoyed it for what it was, the movie was still crap. It pisses ME off that films like Friday the 13th make all the money, and other, far greater films like The Reader, Milk, Doubt, Revolutionary Road, Lost in Translation, The Good German (!!!!!!!! this movie was fantastic! But what? Oh right, it's B&W), The Nines and hell, even Burn After Reading and Moonlight Mile just squeak by almost un-noticed. You can't possibly just knock films like Paul Blart for their stupidity and ignore about 95% of the horror films made over the past 15-20 years. (Horror is almost worse.) You simply can't.

~Matt

14. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah well I would still take horror over a man dressed as a women any day. At least horror moves have some good things going for them. Anyways, I'm not going to argue anymore, i could care less if you guys enjoy the flicks. Again, I made the comment more as a joke, but I personally would never be caught dead watching one of the flicks. To each their own I guess. I'm just surprised there are so many people into them. Ru Paul wasn't even that popular was he/she?

15. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

As opposed to the 26% the Friday the 13th remake is sitting at?

As you expend another 184 words to explain just how much you don't care.

16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

You know what, I just think everyone should like what i like and that's the end of it! Everyone else enjoy Tyler Perry!

17. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

At least you're finally being honest.

18. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

Right Guys, watched this last night.

First of I was expecting alot more and have to say i was disapointed its about on par with Jason X or slightley just below it.
    The budget for this was alot bigger than it needed to be and there were parts that the story could jus do without............the whole weed growing around crystal lake totaly unessary it did'nt need to be there and Jason's underground lair, C'mon.

The Tolken black guy was even a dissapointment, when he first game on screen i was expecting him to have some fun lines and throw in the usuall "Daam" but no he played it way to serious.
    What about the kills? pretty unispiring the arrow kill was the best of the bunch for me the rest wer'nt bloody or nasty enough.

Oh and where was the "Ki Ki Ma Ma" theme, i only remember it being used for the opening titles and the shot of J's mask sinking to the bottom, the build up to the kills had zero tension what so ever. Jason' mask, looked cool on the poster but i did'nt think it was all that good when i saw it in the movie, needed to be more white.

I think non friday fans are gonna enjoy this more than fans of the series, as there not going to have much to compare it too. I bet no one in the cinema last night had even seen one of the origial fridays which is proably why my local vue seems to be removing the film after next week.

I thought Ken Kirzinger played Jason better than Derick meers, they should have used him again, Ken just seemed alot more bad ass Derick has a good build but i jsut did'nt find him as belieable as Jason.

19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Ken was the most awful moving and looking Jason in the series. He was dopey in movement and seemed almost robotic. How you can say he's a better Jason is beyond me.

20. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Just went to see it for the 3rd time and it was even better than the first two times I watched it. Went with two of my mates (and paid for bothg of them so I have given alot of money to this film already having paid for myself 3 times and two mates tonight and a mate on the first night), one of which was terrified throughout the whole thing so that made it even more enjoyable. Seriously loved this movie, one of my favourite Friday the 13ths by far, cant wait for the next one.