Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection, 09/13/2013

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jun 11, 2013.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Guys, it's Paramount we're talking about. They have always despised this series. I can't see another blu-ray release unless they come to their senses and let another distributer handle their catalog titles.

othervoice1 likes this.
  2. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Yeah, really strange deal with those. They came out and almost immediately went OOP?:confused: Why did Warner even bother releasing them in the first place?

Luckily I managed to grab all of them, but still no word on a JGTH/JX Double Feature.

Edit: Ebay has some great deals on some of the two-fers. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...the+13th+double+feature+blu+rays&_sacat=11232

:eek:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  3. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Speaking of Friday The 13th what happened to the custome covers? They were posted here on the forum but vanished after the data purge. :confused:

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I was lucky and received an immaculate set with no dings or imperfections when it first came out.

If the set ever gets a re-release, whoever it is will have to hold the releases rights for both Warner/New Line and Paramount. I'd say that's a long shot if Warner are now out of the equation.

Yeah, no kidding.

othervoice1 likes this.
  5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That's how they should have done it in the first place. The tin was a massive issue and seemed to be the main cause of the set never going on sale (my theory anyway). Heaps of people were complaining about that and the ridiculous claims of discs being scratched due to the cardboard keep case. I personally have never seen a scratched bd, even when I've received a package with a loose disc rattling around the bd has been fine and scratch free.
    A Halloween style set would be amazing.

There's still money to be made with these films so I'd be surprised if a new set doesn't get announced by the time the new movie is released. The hard part would be getting a complete set again with the films WB holds the rights too. My fingers are crossed that some company like Scream or Arrow could acquire rights to release a set. Same goes for a Elm Street set.

6. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Pretty sure when the next Friday The Turdteen cums out. A new box set will surely get announced.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It was expensive and everyone thought that it would come down at some point, but it never did. The lack of a theatrical cut of the original, true 3D and the missing commentary for part 3 as well as the uncut version of Jason Goes to Hell were big omissions for the price.

The packaging was definitely an issue. There were so many returns, legitimate (scratched and/or unplayable discs) and not so legitimate imo (dings, dents and scratches on the outer tin case). Amazon pulled the listing countless times.

I have had a few issues with scratched blu-ray's. My Kubrick set was a mess because the cardboard was pressed so tightly against the discs, each disc was scratched up with their initial removal. Every single disc I pull from a boxset goes right into a blank case until I can provide a custom cover for it (Bond, Alien, Star Wars, etc).

It is my belief that if the WB/Paramount deal didn't take place, the Friday the 13th sequels (4-8) would not have been released on blu-ray...ever. Paramount stopped after Part 3 in June of 2009. The WB box set came out in September of 2013.

This 4K/UHD push isn't going to make things any easier for catalog titles for quite awhile. Who even knows how invested with physical media Paramount (or WB for that matter) is anymore? WB's best catalog titles of late have been Warner Archives.

othervoice1 and Katatonia like this.
  8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Possibly to clear as much of the inventory before their deal expired. Of course I am only speculating.

9. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I hated the tin, despite mine being undamaged, the artwork was just not what I wanted to see representing the series as a whole. Then inside, with it's lame headband thing holding contents together. The cardboard book itself does shelf nicely and with little space taken, if not ideal for disc removal, it at least had improved artwork over the tin's. Having parts 4, 5 & 6 in beautiful 1080p transfers was the only reason I dove. Are the stand-alone bluray double feature discs of pts 3/4, 5/6 & 7/8 also oop?

10. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

11. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I was one of those waiting for the box set sale. I remember being disappointed in the set and assumed it would go for dirt cheap but it never did. I recall even the text used in the set were just excerpts from the big Friday the 13th book.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  12. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'm pretty certain folks on here (myself included) said that back in 2004 when Paramount's first box set came out. I think the special editions and this box set were about as good as we'll get. New Line still has Jason Goes to Hell so I'm sure there will be a single, uncut blu at some point. The only improvements I could see in the future is the guy that worked on the SE's for 4-8 going back through Paramount's vaults and finding some lost footage for the Part 2 or 3, if it even exists. They've done so many docs, books, etc. on this series that there really isn't much more cool trivia to dig up on this series so "lost" footage is really the only area where they could improve things. I'm glad I finally caved and got this when I did. Also, the set looks rather nice once you take it out of the tin.

13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The problem there is New Line is Warner, and they no longer release unrated films.

14. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

You see, people say that, but then they put out unrated releases of True Romance and Natural Born Killers. The Hangover is another example.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  15. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I am preparing myself mentally for the next 15 pages of OMFG it's oop?!!! o_O

16. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

With the new HD players, soon it will be time for the studios to decide when they will stop releasing some movies that aren't guaranteed sellers. How many times can consumers buy the same movie? I'm sure some out there might own Beta, VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, and Blu-ray versions of Friday the 13th. But when will they say this is where I stop?

I can live with my DVD of Friday the 13th Part 6 because I don't like the Blu-ray version's color. But I would like to get Blu-ray if not the new format for the others in my collection.

17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Those three films were released on blu-ray seven years ago. WB changed their stance two or three years ago. We're stuck with theatrical cuts for films like Eurotrip (which actually benefits from the uncut version), but can't get the preferred theatrical version of Dumb and Dumber.

18. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Please elaborate. How is the blu-ray different? I hadn't noticed.

19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I think the colours are more green. There's screen comparisons in the review here on the site :)

buck135 likes this.
  20. Dave

Dave Pimp

Still hope 4k blu goes niche and studios license out all their catalog stuff.

Grim likes this.