Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection, 09/13/2013

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Well that's lame. I believe you, but there has been talk of WB having an no-unrated since DVD as well (such as why the unrated cut of NBK had to be released on VHS and DVD by another company), so I bet they'll make an exception somewhere along the line as they have before on certain titles. Then again, the entire home media landscape has changed since then and they might not even find it worth it now, even for a high profile picture.

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Can't even try to figure out Warner anymore. It's like they strive to put out the cuts no one wants of any given title! I'm looking at you Jason Goes to Hell, Eurotrip, Dumb & Dumber, Friday, Leatherface (rumored at this time), etc. etc.

Then there's Devil's Advocate, labeled "Unrated Director's Cut" when it is in fact anything but. It's the digital statue removal version of the theater cut. The director wanted that statue, so his cut would have it (if not for the legal shit around it which makes it impossible now). If anything it should be called the "Slightly Altered for Legal Reasons Cut". How could digitally covering something in the background change the rating from R? There are no other differences in that movie, it's not like a little less statue boob would make it PG-13!

buck135 likes this.
  3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

I really want LeatherFace TCM III on Blu-ray but it will most likely be the awful butchered R-Rated version just like Jason goes to hell and TCM The Beginning

4. bigdaddyhorse

Can't believe I forgot to add The Beginning to that list, it's one I went Canadian for the unrated cut, albeit 1080i. That disc is still cheap so I can recommend it, unlike Slither (another Canadian 1080i blu I own), which is now at stupid price levels.

5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

If anyone in the world cares about EuroTrip, they deserve to be disappointed.

Also, I saw the "uncut" version of Leatherface. Which I regard as the single most PG-13 "unrated" cut I've ever seen of anything. But then again, go hire Kate Hodge. The cast act like they're having a bad day filing their taxes. I was not convinced a homicidal maniac was chasing them with anything other than Latter-day Saints' Church pamphlets.

6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It's hardly a classic, but definitely a guilty pleasure. It has as many terrible scenes as funny scenes, but the unrated cut tips the scale. Plus more Michelle Trachtenberg doesn't hurt.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. DVD-fanatic-9

If I took pleasure in it, I would feel guilty too.

So guilty, I would walk into a heavily policed area with a machine gun and sunglasses on and just wait.

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

You're so weird lol.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  9. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

same here I got the Canadian bare bones alliance release unrated blu-ray as well

10. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Eurotrip is hilarious.

The End.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  11. DVD-fanatic-9

2 and a half years it's been? Then I guess people shouldn't be that surprised. You could tell me Paramount made a stipulation in their contract/license that an automatic OOP would go into effect when Warner made too much $$$ on the set and I wouldn't be surprised. When will Paramount make their next move? Savvier Q: what studio's producing that next remakequel?

You started this, Fart and Knocker.

Next time, keep my name out of your mouth. Save some room for your next donut.

12. Zombie Dude

Pretty sure it's Paramount. So I'd be surprised if some new set isn't released around the new movie.

13. DVD-fanatic-9

I dunno. I feel like Paramount consider their only competition to be themselves and that along the way, someone decided there was money to be made holding the films back rather than leaving them out and available. If they can't beat Warner's (?) transfers / can't improve upon them for a new boxset, maybe one isn't going to surface so quickly.

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Who knows if it will even happen with Paramount though. They keep pushing back the release date, and now it's 2017 or something. Paramount seems to operate at regular net losses of late, and Viacom are currently looking to sell off a sizeable chunk of the studio. It wouldn't surprise me if it gets pushed back again, or just axed.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  15. Zombie Dude

Well yeah, then there's that. The film really doesn't seem to be on track at the moment so who knows. Hopefully they licence the films out if they don't have any interest putting a set back on the market for fans.

gobad2003 likes this.
  16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Really? I mean there is plenty to complain about that film, but the unrated version is pretty damn gory. Given how big of wusses the MPAA were at the time, though, I'm sure it would qualify for an R today.

17. bigdaddyhorse

Eurotrip is among the funniest movies ever, and unrated has some jokes that are sorely missed from the R-cut. Was looking forward to it being on Blu but skipped due to the R.
    If you think the unrated Leatherface could pass for PG-13, then what about the R cut? That would be a soft G after-school special! The film sucks either way, that is true, but it's watchable unrated. Try the R cut sometime and see how much worse it can be. It's on the dvd. I rented it back in the day and recall the movie making no fucking sense with the cuts. Just as bad as the R-cut of part 2 or worse.

MisterTwister and buck135 like this.
  18. DVD-fanatic-9

I heard most of the gore footage was lost. We are talking about the 1990 film- correct? Where are the gory scenes you're referring to? I checked both the R and Uncut versions and the difference was barely anything.

Has another DVD/Blu or something surfaced with a true Uncut cut I don't know about?

19. bigdaddyhorse

Lots of blood and stuff missing from the R-cut. They also mention how the unrated laserdisc is not as complete as the dvd. Even better, most of the stuff missing from the laserdisc is on the laser in the deleted scenes!

fceurich39 likes this.
  20. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I checked the site and they haven't finished putting up all the old DVD reviews. But the Deluxe DVD and new Blu-ray and broadcast HD versions of Friday the 13th Part 6 are more green tinted. Compared to the blue of the DVD version that I own. The most telling shots are the water scenes at the end. Honestly, I don't know how it looked in theaters. But when big color changes happen I assume someone at the studio did some fiddling like what happened with the HD version of Night of the Living Dead 1990.