Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection, 09/13/2013

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jun 11, 2013.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

It's only a 6-disc set according to the artwork.

2. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I completely read the box art wrong not once, but twice! Had a long night last night...

3. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

So I got the new set a few weeks ago and started to go through and watch the films in order (which I've never done before!). I just got done watching Part 3 the other night. I find that one fairly enjoyable but it does look pretty dated now. The 3d doesn't help as lots of shots have things coming at the camera which looks pretty silly when watching it in 2d. The are some great bits in this one though. I love when one of the characters is being held in a choke hold by Jason beside a cabin as his girlfriend stands on the porch looking for him. Plus seeing Jason's first screen appearance with his iconic look gets me nostalgic. The transfer itself doesn't look the best but I think that may be due to the type of film they were using for the 3d.

Watching Part 2 I didn't really realise how bad the cuts to the gore are in that one. Pretty much every kill cuts away quickly which was pretty disappointing as the film's pretty enjoyable as a whole. Would love to see that footage surface someday. My biggest complaint is how much flashback to the first film there is. It feels like the whole last portion is in there, it's ridiculous. I'd also like to see that cut if by some miracle they found the cut gore and put a new cut together.

The first film I just don't care for much. No Jason and a pretty uninteresting plot. My favorite bit would have to be the shock ending. The transfer looked pretty nice on this one too, so there's that. But yeah, not a big fan.

5. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I just watched them all chronologically for the first time in a while with the set. 4 and 7 my favorites. 5 and 8 are the weakest, especially 8.

buck135 and Natas like this.
  6. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

So far I've only watched the original Friday the 13th from the new set. I think it looked phenomenal...... its definitely my least watched Friday flick.....I've probably only watched 4-5 times in my life. I still think it's a really good horror movie, but the lack of Jason obviously takes a lot away from the rewatch value.

7 is a favorite......8 is on the bottom.....probably gonna watch 3 and 7 on blu this weekend.

baggio and Angelman like this.
  7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I still think this set is one last money grab with these old transfers before they release a new 4K set. I’ll bet you there will be one out before the end of 2019.

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I don't think I'd upgrade these for mere Picture Quality again. I bought them all on VHS, twice on DVD, now twice on blu ray...there's only so much that you can/should do with films like these in terms of PQ. I also have HIS NAME WAS JASON on DVD as well as CRYSTAL LAKE MEMORIES in book and blu ray, so unless they can find the lost footage, I'll leave the dipping to the newer generations who may not be tapped out yet.

buck135 and Matt89 like this.
  9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah can’t see myself buying these movies again. Also not sure when I’ll ever upgrade to 4K (if I ever do). I also have the complete collection on blu ray as well as th Crystal Lake Memories blu-ray and book.

I think I’m good.

~Matt

Myron Breck likes this.
  10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Still, you KNOW that I’m right. ;)

If anybody thinks that a budget priced blu ray set with now dated transfers is going to be the last word on F13 for long, they haven’t been paying attention to what Paramount has been doing with the franchise over the last 20 years on DVD/blu ray. 4K discs and the equivalent blu ray remasters are just around the corner. I guarantee it. :)

Matt89 likes this.
  11. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

...hold your wallets because the baggage of the entire genre is going to get 4k uhd releases (with hdr!) right along with the Friday the 13th films. And they will totally be worth the upgrade! Me, I'm wondering what's taking so long?? When production prices finally allow, I do expect a paycheck depleting explosion like never seen before.

12. Zombie Dude

Well I just watched 4 & 5 last night. I just can't find much love for The Final Chapter. I find the characters unlikable for one and the movie just seems to drag a bit for me. It's not till the end that Jason makes a proper appearance which wasn't the case in Part 3 either. It just doesnt make much sense to me keeping Jason in the shadows and off camera when we know who he is and what he looks like. The final confrontation is good but it's too little too late for me.
    Plus is he meant to be a zombie here? There's no explanation or hint as to how he comes back and he seems to shrug off pain here unlike the previous films. He can also apparently breath under water. It just didn't sit well with me to gloss over this and felt kind of lazy.

Part 5 I actually enjoy. I think people get a bit hung up on being tricked about Jason but to be fair it is called A New Beginning. So the title hints at it. I enjoy the characters more here than in 4.

Natas likes this.
  13. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Agreed on all accounts. I still really enjoy part 4, but it's probably the slowest of any Jason film....I had a blast watching part 4 on the big screen at the Alamo a few years ago....... But it's not one I rewatch as often as most other entries.

Part 5 is a favorite. Right at the top of the list. It's as fun as a slasher movie gets if you ask me....

Zombie Dude likes this.
  14. Angelman

I love 4. It's definitely a much more mean-spirited entry. I think the unlikeable characters force you to funnel your emotional investment into Tommy and his sis. The gore is great and the effects at the end of the film are my favorite of the series. And yeah, he's unstoppable but you figure he goes from kid->skinny backwoods killer->hockey mask guy->Terminator in just 4 films, so it always felt like a natural progression (to me). I mean in 3 he can crush heads with his bare hands. We were kind of already there.

I don't mind being tricked about Jason, why i dislike 5 so much is because
    they give away the killer in the most obvious, telegraphed way possible, then reinforce it later, it takes away the mystery - which is kind of what a non-Jason F13 had going for it

15. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The first time I saw part V as a kid, I had no idea who the guy in the mask was. I had the same problem when they revealed the killer in House Of Death on my first viewing.

16. Angelman

That's funny. I knew right away.

17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

You weren't the only one. At first, I was like who is that guy? Oh....

Zombie Dude likes this.
  18. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

That shot with the girl and the boyfriend getting choked off the side in Part 3 is the best scene in the movie and one of the top 10 or so shots of the series. Other than that, I really don't like Part 3. I've tried multiple times to find something to latch on to in the movie but I don't like any of the characters.

I don't mind that Terry gets killed off screen in Part 2. Ginny and Terry are probably my two favorite girls in the series. And I like the flashback in Part 2 as it means I don't need to get Part 1 separately. All the best parts are included Part 2! I need to check out those cuts. I think I recall seeing some images. But I don't remember. I think the spear death was a cut scene.

I think Part 8 is fun. I like a majority of the characters. Part 5 I don't like the characters that much. The blonde waitress is hot but she's a blink and you'll miss her character. I think Part 7 is the only odd Friday the 13th I really like. And that was recently I started to get that one. Originally my favorites were Part 2, 6, 8, and X. And Freddy vs Jason which is more Nightmare on Elm Street and also because Katharine Isabelle is in it.

19. Zombie Dude

I'm in the same boat. Going back to it it's pretty obvious but my first viewing I had no reason to think the killer wasn't Jason.
    I don't know, I find Part 3 pretty entertaining. It is lacking in parts with the obvious 3D shots (as mentioned). Plus I dont know if it's the film stock they used for this or if the current transfer just sucks but it has a shofter, almost blurred look that I don't love. I do really like the look of Jason in this one. I also think the good girl they try to set up with Shelley has a surprising death (something I think the remake tried to borrow from), and there are other iconic shots here I love like Jason hanging and the axe in the head.

I finished watching the other films in the set. I just can't get into the tone of part 6. I think the film is decent and I want to like it more, but the tone to me is far too comical for my liking and the look of Jason sucks.

Part 7 is dumb fun. I like having Jason go up against someone with telekinesis as it's something different and fun. He looks great here too with the iconic rotting look. It does suffer from it's excessive cuts and Jason just seems to be finding all these random weapons with no reasoning but I still think it's pretty fun. I also enjoy the score in this one.

Part 8 is crap. I can barely sit through this one. The intro credits are cool but then it's Jason on a boat for majority of the movie as everyone knows. Not only that but his "teleporting" is super obvious here with him being in one place and then suddenly in front of a victim or at their heels with no possible way of that ever making sense. You can get away with it to some degrees in the woods but definitely not in confined spaces. It was just a joke. You can tell they didn't care here because the younger Jason they keep using looks nothing like him. He has a full head of hair and is barely a mongoloid at all. Plus, I just can't buy that Crystal Lake opens out the the ocean. What a stupid idea. This is easily at the bottom of the Paramount released films for me. Just terrible.

Steel76 and Natas like this.
  20. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

It's a problem with the lenses on the 3D cameras. Amityville 3D and Jaws 3D, had the same problem with soft focus and chromatic aberration.

https://photographylife.com/what-is-chromatic-aberration

The bigger problem with part 3, is the terrible 3D kills. The head crush, popping out the eye, is on the paper a fun idea, but the effect looks terrible. You can clearly see the rods and wires in most of those 3D kills, which is really distracting.

Both Amityville 3D and Jaws 3D has similarly terrible FX. The blue screen FX in Jaws looks like they were made in the 50:s :D

Though, part 3 was one of the first movies I saw in the series, so I still have a bit of a soft spot for it, even though the characters are far too silly and cheesy. The bikers makes me cringe.
    Though, including the "disco" credit sequence, I doubt the filmmakers took the movie seriously ;)

Zombie Dude likes this.