Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection, 09/13/2013

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

If you look at Part 3 strictly on story and kills, it's pretty unremarkable. However, I think the 3-D approach and the whole look and design of Jason in this film, along with the weird zombie Mrs. Voorhees at the end, gives the film this kooky, goofy, monster movie vibe. Despite all of the sex and graphic violence, it reminds me of a drive-in monster movie from the 50's. It's about smack dab in the middle if I rank all of the films, probably teetering on the higher end of the spectrum.

Myron Breck likes this.
  2. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

When I remember Friday the 13th movies from when I was a kid, Part 2 and 6 had the scenes I remembered the most. A lot of it was a blur and I had to look up reviews, thanks to this site and see which scenes were in which movie. I found Part 2 had Jason in the cloth mask, the nude scene on the beach, and the ending where you didn't know what happened. Part 6 had that lightning resurrection, kids at the camp, the trailer scene that I always thought had to contain nudity but didn't, the trailer flip, the lake on fire, the James Bond opening, and the girl in the football jersey.

I did remember stuff from other Parts but it didn't stick as much. I think I posted some of this in my list of favorites a year or so ago. I remember Jason finding that grass cutter in Part 7 and I thought that was when things started to get silly. But Part 7 moved up my list of favorites recently when watching it a lot. Also, I remembered the classic boxing fight of Part 8 and the cute Asian girl. I always thought that was a fun entry. Friday the 13th really ended for me at Part 8 back then. I didn't see Jason X and Freddy versus Jason until perhaps I joined up here or the Horror.com forum. I still haven't seen Part 9 completely.

It was like that for Nightmare on Elm Street as well. I only remembered the original for how much it scared me and the waterbed girl from Part 4. The scenes that stuck are pretty much my favorite movies in these horror series.

I finally watched the Killer Cut of the remake. A small review:

Friday the 13th Remake Killer Cut -

For some reason I thought the Killer Cut would make the remake better. I think one of you guys told me it didn't. But I was still hopeful. And guess what, you guys were right. The Killer Cut isn't anything special and I still don't like the movie. And was still angry when a character dies close to the end.

I would call the Killer Cut, "The Incompetent or not Thought Out Cut." The only thing I spotted were what I thought were longer death scenes and a pointless scene. Namely the captured girl actually escapes but is recaptured again and nothing much came from that scene. Originally I thought the people who made the remake thought good Friday the 13th movies were about stupid kids, Jason kills, and nudity. Now I know they think a good Friday the 13th movie is about drug use, stupid kids, Jason kills, and nudity. Plus they hate the supernatural Jason. They did everything they could to make him "realistic" and seeing the movie again made me realize that. It's almost like what they did with Myers in the Halloween remake. Show him as a kid and as an adult make him big and brutal.

3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I love Part 3. LOVE IT. I love the shoddy 3D, the annoying characters, Jason the Rapist, the birth of the mask, literally everything.

Having said that, the nostalgia factor is huge for this one and I can certainly see why people who weren't around at the time might not be impressed.

Zombie Dude, wago70 and Natas like this.
  4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I actually revisited the Killer Cut not long ago as well and thought it was crap. I don't know where they got the idea that Jason would be protecting a stash of weed growing out in the woods. Drug use was never a big theme in the franchise to begin with so it just seems ridiculous. I also don't like how they felt the need to explain things that don't matter like how the tunnels and trap doors are Jason's means of travelling to different locations quickly. I hate when things are left super ambiguous in films and it feels lazy but this was too much in the other direction and it was just boring to see.

Another stupid moment was when Jason gets the hockey mask and then goes to check himself out in a mirror. I also hated the kidnapping element which really doesn't feel like something Jason's character would ever do. The whole thing made me feel like they didn't understand the character.

On top of all that stuff the characters are mostly insufferable and grate me the whole way through. Especially the wanker boyfriend who has it dialed up to 11.

If they ever do a new Friday film I don't want Platinum Dunes anywhere near it.

5. ImmortalSlasher

The weed thing would work if it was just Jason not wanting anyone near the camp. But then that old lady knows about Jason. And Trent's family has that big house there and we can assume goes boating and has activity there. Yet nothing happened up until that point. In those "weed protection" scenes, especially the second one, it does come off like Jason shows up just because people are taking his weed. I do think in a good number of Friday the 13th movies the teens do use weed or some kind of drugs. That I can remember there is drug use in Part 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, and Freddy vs Jason. One of the best parts in Part 2 is that these kids smoke better dope than I do line.

But yeah so much development of Jason in the remake is to make him realistic. They hated the transporting Jason so we get tunnels. Not that he really uses the tunnels a lot since the movie isn't at the Crystal Lake camp. On the plus side I did read somewhere that Platinum Dunes is finished with horror remakes. Looking at their wiki, all of their horror movies are profitable but none that I've seen are that good or worth owning for me.

6. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Happy Friday the 13th, you spooky bastards! Cheers.

7. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Rewatched the remake last night. It didn't hold up well for me.

A lot of the criticisms above are valid enough, like Trent's Family owning a big house near Camp Crystal Lake yet never having any Jason problem until the events of the movie. I don't mind Jason not being supernatural - he obviously wasn't in Part 2. I guess it just didn't recapture the spooky magic of the movies from the 80's. There's the whole ungainly double introduction, and it feels like the were trying to cram the plot points of the first four Fridays into one movie. The original was a simple movie: A tragedy in the past, young people in the woods getting offed creatively one by one, and then a suspenseful final chase. Most of the sequels took their cue from this, and a Friday the 13th movie doesn't need to be much more than that.

I also found myself missing that eerie, isolated atmosphere that Harry Manfredini conjured up with music for the original movies. The remake just sounded like a generic contemporary horror movie. Human or undead, Jason is a legendary figure - don't hold back on the 'ki ki ki ma ma ma'. For what it's worth, I did think the look for the unmasked Jason (or what we saw of him) was quite good. In sum, for all the sex, young people, and hockey-masked killer, this didn't feel like a Jason movie. If they ever do another Friday - and I hope they do - I hope they go back to square one rather than offering a continuation of this remake.

8. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Had a blast night night. Watched part 7 for the first time on blu ray. Incredible. Then watched part 5 on the projector......followed by Jason X, also on the projector.

Parts 5 and 7 are the funnest if you ask me. Even during some luls in the action, especially in 7......I find them incredibly funny. I love the moms hair, cracks me up.

My favorite score from any Jason flick is also from part 7.

Jason X is just stupid but I love it nevertheless. Still can't believe that had a wide theatrical release. First Jason movie I ever saw in the theaters matter of fact.

I think I enjoy the remake more than most of you. The only big gripe I have with it to be honest are the tunnels. I don't feel those tunnels, man...... not necessary. But the rest of it I generally find really entertaining. I hear the argument of how unrealistic it is Trents family never heard of Jason.......but judging by that prick, his family is probably the same.....not exactly the kind of people who would mingle with the locals.... but I mean, regardless of how or why the kids end up near Crystal lake.....when has that ever been relevant in a Jason flick? Lol

Workshed, Zombie Dude and othervoice1 like this.
  9. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

Last night I attended a showing of Friday the 13th Part 3 in 3-D. Original 35mm print with the clear glasses. Folks, it was SURREAL. I've seen the 3-D Blu-ray, but it just doesn't compare to the big screen. Plus it was sold out. 250 went nuts for the opening credits, the yo-yo, the harpoon, the popped eyeball and, of course, Jason's first masked appearance. They also showed Amityville 3-D which people were snoring through, and Frankenstein's Bloody Terror, which only 1/4 of the original crowd stuck around for. Still and all, it was a great night.
    [​IMG]

hots4, buck135, fceurich39 and 9 others like this.
  10. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I am jealous - that looks like it would be such a fun time to be there

Cooperkill and Zombie Dude like this.
  11. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Active Member

I wish somebody would do an official release on 3D Blu-ray for the Friday part 3. Probably not much hope, but I think they could make some money off of it and make it worthwhile. I would love to add this to my library...probably wishful thinking...

dave13, hots4, othervoice1 and 2 others like this.
  12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Lucky. FUCKER. :D

othervoice1, Natas and Cooperkill like this.
  13. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Between Paramount, Kino Lorber and Robert Furmanek, all of whom are working together on The Maze 3D and Sangaree 3D, I feel like there's a glimmer of hope.

buck135 likes this.
  14. ImmortalSlasher

My thought is Jason was always supernatural. From the first movie he comes back. And in later movies survives all kinds of damage. Of course the movies don't have that much thought put into it other than Jason comes back to kill kids at the camp. From what I remember people were excited about the idea of a winter Friday the 13th continuing from the remake. I thought that was a terrible idea. I read news about a few bits of the sequel's ideas recently and it didn't sound that good either.

With Trent's family house it's more why did Jason let them live there that long? Perhaps there is some dialog I missed about the house and the timeline. But it didn't seem like that was a newly built home that wasn't lived in.

15. Kim Bruun

Fans have always been divided on this subject. Those who argue that Jason was always supernatural tend to view the series as an extended narrative. Personally, I think there are too many inconsistencies to view the Friday movies as a single, extended storyline. The whole timeline is screwed up - look at the rate at which Tommy Jarvis grows up and what that means for when the movies take place. And then there's Jason appearance changing dramatically between Parts 2 and 3. Why is he suddenly completely bald? I'm not arguing that the movies aren't narratively connected - it's obvious that they are. I'm just saying that there never went a lot of thought into making them consistent.

For me, Jason is what that individual writers and directors made of him. In Part 2, he obviously isn't some sort of undead killer. His shed suggests that he rests, eats, and defecates, and he groans in pain when kicked in the groan. He seems more superhuman in Part 3, remaining active after no less than two incidents which should have killed him. In Jason Lives and The New Blood, he is a walking, rotting corpse, and in Jason Takes Manhattan, he can apparently teleport (an ability he has not demonstrated before or since) - and let's not get into how crazy things get with Jason Goes to Hell (where Jason is suddenly a demonic parasite) and Jason X (where Jason starts out in the near future still deformed, but no longer corpse-like). I love the Friday movies. They're good, scary fun, and they've given us one of the most iconic movie monsters ever, but they're not some grand epic.

Workshed, zbinks, Natas and 1 other person like this.
  16. ImmortalSlasher

True I remember posting that I read a site somewhere that figured out that a good portion of the early Friday the 13th movies take place fairly close together, like in the span of a month or so. They said basically if these movies were somewhat realistic the FBI and cops would be everywhere. But I think that's what Friday the 13th Part 9 attempted to show in the beginning. I don't know I still need to watch the whole movie.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  17. Kim Bruun

Why haven't you seen JGtH in its entirety? Biased against it? Couldn't get into it?

The opening has one of the best jump scares of the franchise, and like you said, the FBI couldn't keep ignoring Crystal Lake. Of course, after that, so many new elements are introduced that it feels like total departure from every Friday before it. Freddy Krueger and the Deadites now occupy the same universe as Jason, the Voorhees family owned a huge house which nobody bothered to investigate in any of the movies that came before, and Jason suddenly has an extended family which becomes the focus of his murderous activities. Thankfully, there just happens to be a mystical dagger capable of laying Jason to rest, something which every other tactic until now has failed to do. Sounds like a mess, right? It is, but I still find it to be a lot of fun. :)

Natas likes this.
  18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I think the boat has well and truly sailed on this, Paramount had the perfect opportunity when the 3D craze was big, but they fucked it, with the TV's no longer in production and big studio's dropping the format on A+ releases (more so in the US, than here in Europe), I think there are 2 changes of getting this released, fat chance and no chance!

19. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The continuity from one film to the next isn't necessarily all-encompassing. All the films are connected by an overarching story, but each film also exists in a partial vacuum or parallel universe. Not every story element from one film gets carried over to subsequent films, and some story elements (specifically, some of the final scares) may or may not be literal occurrences from film to film.

2 - 4 basically take place over the course of a weekend, Friday - Sunday, 5 years after the first film. Past 4, the timeline gets really wonky.

Natas likes this.
  20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I’m fairly certain that Crystal Lake falls out of the jurisdiction of the FBI unless called in by local authorities, or if the crimes cross state lines. State police, sure, but the events of Part 1 was up until then an isolated case where the murderer was killed on site. No FBI involvement necessary. Parts 2-3 happen the same weekend and again the murderer was supposedly killed. Part 4, was also that same week and again he ALSO died. By then he would get the attention of the FBI, but Part 5 and 6 took place several years later. I’m uncertain what the FBI could do about such sporadic murder sprees when the killer always seems to die at the end of the night.

othervoice1 likes this.