Friday the 13th: The Video Game (PS4/XBone/PC)

Discussion in 'General' started by rxfiend, Oct 13, 2015.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

No single player, no purchase, shame really, not a fan of multiplayer games, played them, tried them, not enjoyed them. As for Savini directing the remake, please, after his recent comments and contempt for the fans, fuck him, I don't think he's got any real passion left in the genre anyway, I'm sure there's somebody out there more suited.

2. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

How do you figure that? "Unusable in a few years". Why because they will one day look at their watch and realize that today is the day they shut down the cloud? How do we even know what will happen when this console generation is over? It's funny you bring this up on the day of X1's Windows 10 overhaul that introduces backwards compatibility (granted it's limited, but they are working on bringing in more titles). If anything I would assume games have more of a chance of being carried into future generations than before. Look at how many "ultimate, definitive, complete" editions got released already. If it's worth it, modders will most likely figure out a way of preserving this game and making it single player if the developers don't do it themselves at least in the PC realm.

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I don't know what the multi-player interest will even be in a few years. Many fizzle out after a few months. Like many have stated, I too am only a fan of single player games. If Until Dawn featured Freddy, Jason and/or Michael, we'd all own a current gen system. I think challenging Kickstarter projects like this scare off many people. To be honest, all of the talent involved (Cunningham, Savini, etc) are unnecessary and are probably eating up much of the cost just to have name recognition. I hope the game works out and people enjoy it, but like Star Wars Battlefront, I'll stick to the YouTube videos.

old-boo-radley likes this.
  4. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I wouldn't get it for PC, so whatever all that means is moot. However many fans this has are going to be split over 3 platforms, so the amount of people playing on each will be less and less as time goes on. The less popular the game is, and this won't even be a splash on the radar, the fewer people play to begin with. Between declining users, servers being down and ultra nerds that play all day and demolish you, I've just found multiplayer games lame as hell for me these days. You're just running around doing nothing for nothing, at least with a single player campaign you get some fulfillment of experiencing 3+ hours of a story (not that I am all about story in video games, but in this case, I'd be interested) and gameplay. Not a 10 minute round where 3 super nerds bitch at you because it's your first time playing.

It's apples and oranges, nothing wrong with either, I just like single player. Multiplayer was fun as hell when it was with your friend as a kid, but the odds of getting 5 or so cool people to play a round of F13 with you in our adult years with jobs, etc. is virtually impossible. Strangers playing together barely tingles my multiplayer bone.

5. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

But..but Jason is in it and it's Friday the 13th and everything. :(

6. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Here is a pre-alpha for it - some of the posters were ripping it - but they are not smart enough to know what a PRE-ALPA is - lol. See below the link for what someone from Gun Media said about it:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/11/1...nt page)&utm_content=11&utm_campaign=Blogroll

@Mobin1 I'm Ben with Gun Media, the guys making this game a reality. We want everyone here to be aware that every single part of that video is from a play session between all of us mucking about with gameplay proofing and testing a lot of the features we'll be showcasing as we get further into development.
    The animations, rigging, art, setting, UI...is all very and nearly completely placeholder.
    We've been getting hounded by fans to show gameplay off, so here we are, bringing this all to you. Just know we aren't a major publisher. They never show this kind of stuff, but we're taking a leap to give you guys an idea of what early testing and pre-production looks like!
    Hope you back us on our last day with the Kickstarter! We've hit the goal, now we're going for stretch goals!

7. othervoice1

I do agree it is a huge bummer there will be no single player - unless by some miracle they decide to go ahead and include it. Id rather they went with a publisher and had it. But it is still pretty darn cool looking - but I totally understand those unhappy about no single player because I agree- but I support the project regardless.
    AND I think they really hurt themselves in both the kickstarter and when it goes on retail sale - since there will be a lot of folks that love the franchise that have passed or will pass once they see it is multiplayer only. At the very least they should have scrapped some of the animations and moved it earlier in the stretch goals

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I love the idea of multiplayer online games but it sadly is aimed more towards everyday gamers who are experts and that can lead to being kick off missions/servers which is annoying when your genuinely just trying to learn.
    I've was playing Payday 2 for a while but it seems pointless to play now as you can be in a mission for 40 mins which has multiple parts and then get kicked out last minute or the host leaves causing the game to end and you're left claiming zero XP or rewards for all that time. It's a massive bummer as that game is fun when it works but with the online often leaving you with nothing for all your time you get put off playing.

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Ain't that the truth. Hey ZD, did you get my Elm Street covers?

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah it's really annoying and something developers should be trying to improve.

I did, thank you for those. I'm currently doing a hunt for some of those comics you're after as well :)

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

You're the best. Thank you.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  12. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I saw it was funded but no where near as high as Bloodstained. Maybe people are burned out on Kickstarter games. Or the people behind this one just didn't get the interest out there. I didn't back because I didn't see anything worth early backing. Where the Bloodstained one had a bunch of limited and other items I wanted.

I've been working off and on, on the ultimate Friday the 13th short film for a while. I'm going to do as much as I can myself. Still writing it but I came up with another new/homage death scene last night. The outline with a twist that I think is awesome is basically done though.

I too thought that many of the stretch goals were things that I thought should have been in the game by default. Like many of the classic Jason kills and costumes. I'm all for new kills but if you are making a game with Jason and Jason gets to chase you down. Don't you want the fans to get killed in the same ways as characters in the movies at times? Also I didn't even see a Single Player mode last time I checked. I still think that should be there.

What did Savini say about fans?

13. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

It's in the gunner hansel post, he noted he did not want any comments from fans when he dies, just from his close friends.

14. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

For real, I was shocked about the lack of physical nick nacks they didn't go with as well to significantly raise dough too. It was like they forced people to basically just contribute the base amount. You got celebrities involved, why not sell game posters or signed artwork? People pay however much at conventions for autographs, seems fair they'd buy a signed F13 repro poster for $30.

Strange, too, that they can make a game for $700 000, but stretch goal wise if they got to the top, then it'd take 4 million for some new animations, a couple maps, to bring back Tommy and have single player? That didn't add up to me. The Kickstarter seemed destined for people to mostly pre-purchase the game and those of us on the fence may as well just wait and see because the stretch goals really didn't offer anything significant. Realistically, look at the stretch goals for up to close to 1.45 million bucks. Virtually nothing is added to the game.

15. othervoice1

"I saw it was funded but no where near as high as Bloodstained. Maybe people are burned out on Kickstarter games. Or the people behind this one just didn't get the interest out there. I didn't back because I didn't see anything worth early backing. Where the Bloodstained one had a bunch of limited and other items I wanted."

It is funny Bloodstained is the first and only thing on kickstarter I ever backed - and this Friday the 13th game is the 2nd.

16. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

They would have raised much more if a single player option was in from the start. I know I would have signed up for a physical copy. But as is, nope...

17. othervoice1

Yea I agree - they would sell more retail copies as well - I wonder how successful this will be once it releases retail as a multiplayer only horror title. Hopefully something changes and they add some sort of offline mode even if its not a full campaign. But even though I am not big on multiplayer this is one I will play.

18. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I think some or many of these Kickstarters are just to get some money from fans and see what the interest is in the project. Most I've seen that are successful still come out to retailers. So they don't really try to come up with that many special items. Which is stupid to me. Since they should be doing more than taking a pre-order and giving out more to actually get the game funded.

They could have used posters and signed items from the actors and actresses in the movies. Had some of their characters in a single player game. A bunch of other stuff I can come up with but it doesn't matter now.

Bloodstained looks like it will be great from the recent concept artwork. There was a bloody fountain artwork that reminded me of that scene in Symphony of the Night. The whole Kickstarter was handled well. It seemed to keep building with stuff added and new people joining the project. Whether they did it on purpose or not. It was good. They have all the pieces to make a great game. And I don't think the higher, limited and signed items are things you will see in retail stores.

othervoice1 likes this.
  19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

[​IMG]

Mok, buck135 and othervoice1 like this.
  20. Dave

Dave Pimp

Once it hit goal, I decided not to back this due to lack of single player. I was interested in beta access but decided i could wait. I hope mods can be done to add it in.