Friday the 13th update on Jason's return

Discussion in 'General' started by WitchHunter, Jan 9, 2007.

1. WitchHunter

WitchHunter Guest

2. Here's the most interesting piece of that article:

Now why would Paramount WANT to get involved again? They figure they have no horror franchises of their own anymore so they want to play "indian giver"! I don't get it.

3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I think Paramount still owns the rights to the title "Friday The 13th" which is why all the New Line movies are called Jason something.
    I'm sure they're kicking themselves for giving up the Character and seeing NL have success with him as well, so they probably want back in.
    All they need to do is put out the uncut boxset of the first 8 films if they want to get paid, but they're too dumb for that. The "we don't put out unrated dvds" arguement doesn't hold water anymore as they have put out plenty since last saying that.
    If I was New Line, I'd say "fuck you" to P, but they must think the F13 title would be worth it in box office returns if this is all true.

4. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I agree but maybe it was New Line who wanted to have a retrospect at the beginning of the new film of all the previous films so they had to attach Paramount's name.

5. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Mmm interesting, any news is good news on the Friday the 13th front.

6. bigdaddyhorse

Ahh yeah, execellent point Mok.
    Would've been nice if they had done that for the "Many Lives Of Jason" doc. on the Jason X dvd. Seeing clips of Jason Goes To Hell and Jason X when they were talking about part 2 kinda sucked.:)

7. DEADCHRIST

DEADCHRIST Guest

I wish they would forget about everything after part 3 and start over with a new group of teens in the woods getting hacked up in interesting ways all over again. It's such a simple fucking formula and it works. I could watch a million movies like this as long as I get to see naked chicks in the woods, blood and jason.

8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

that is false. it has been stated numerous times that NL owns the title, they just choose not to use it. the film is supposely a remake of the first few F13th films, thus Paramount's involvement.

9. Wayne Manor

Wayne Manor New Member

10. DanceEnergy24

DanceEnergy24 New Member

I agree that any news is good news. I'd be willing to see anything Jason related even it was crap. Kinda too bad that New Line didn't distribute the classic 8. We'd have a better chance at seeing uncut versions and better special features.

11. killit

killit Active Member

Numerous times where? I heard this as well, you're the only person I've ever heard say the contrary. I honestly can not see from a marketing standpoint dropping the f13 title at all. Where/who is your source? I'm just curious as I thought the newline purchase of the jason character only, was fact, not speculative.

12. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

go over to the f13 boards: http://www.fridaythe13thforum.com

it's been talked to death over there. anything and everything f13 is talked about in great detail (kind of scary actually...lol).

For other proof, grab out a copy of the F13 boxset and check the copyright at the bottom of the dvd sleeves:

Friday the 13th tm is a trademark of New Line Productions, Inc.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  13. That's an interesting little tidbit...I have the box set & will definitely be looking for this tonight.

So Halloween AND F13 are getting remakes?!?! Do we get a remade Nightmare On Elm Street in teh works too?

14. bigdaddyhorse

It does. Not on the back of the sleeves like you'd think, but under the credits of each film on the inside. It also says it on the discs themselves.
    So much for my theory, it must be Mok's theory about using footage from the first 8, or NL is just hedging their bets. Of course maybe they have to Paramount back in for this so NL can get in on something else.

Thanks for clearing that up RX.

15. killit

killit Active Member

Fucking weird, I use to go to that site alot when i was a kid. Those bitches are crazy, so I honestly, do not even go in there anymore. I'll take your word for it tough. Do you have any theories on why they dropped the f13 title? Or is there a general one?

16. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

i say they shouldnt touch parramount inless they let new line release 1-8 uncut!

17. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I suspect they may have dropped it because the series wasn't doing so hot by part VIII anyways? Maybe they thought the title became unlucky for them and wanted to try a new angle? Just speculation on my part.

18. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

i agree with Maybrick on why they dropped it.

19. Camp Blood

Camp Blood New Member

They need Paramount because they want to remake scenes from the earlier films. New Line owns the name and the rights to make new Friday films, but can't use any of the old scenes.

I wish they were doing a true sequel with a cool montage from the old movies like they did in parts 4 and 7. But I can live a "re-imagining", as long as there is a bas-ass Jason, lots of blood and tits and some more stupid teens to kill off!

And if they can make Jason scary again, I'll really be amazed.

20. Xtro_13

Xtro_13 Guest

I always thought that Cunningham owned the underlining rights to the film. Thought I heard that in a commentary. Could be wrong. I don't care what studio is involved. As long as they make it, and bring something new to the story