Fright (1971) VS When a Stranger Calls (1979)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Cujo108, Jul 31, 2006.

?

Choose

1. Fright (1971)

19.0%
  2. When a Stranger Calls (1979)

81.0%
  1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

The horrors of babysitting.

My vote goes to Fright. It's a great little sleeper with tense atmosphere, a creepy psycho, and the lovely Susan George. Unlike the competition, it is actually quite frightening at times.

When a Stranger Calls is stale melodrama. Thanks, but no thanks.

2. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Fright is a movie with one very tense scene. The
    rape
    scene is hard to watch and very well done. However, the bad guy is kind of humdrum, the suspense builds unevenly, the atmosphere in general isn't quite tense enough for me. The ending isn't spectacular either. Susan George is also hard to root for in this one. She's pretty as always, but the character was so annoying that, up to a point, you really didn't care about her. It's a great movie to watch from time to time, because it doesn't stay with me when it is over. It's almost like every last time I watch it, I watch it for the first time because I don't remember anything save that one scene. It's like a nighttime soap or something.

When A Stranger Calls has some uneven moments in the middle, but I think it is a better movie. I may be biased because it's one of the first movies I watched that scared me when I was growing up. To this day, I think of it when the phone rings at a strange time because the opening sequence is so scary it is practically legend. Carol Kane was fantastic in this movie and I cared more for her character than George's. I found the bad guy far more shuddersome, and the ending much less banal. Hence, When A Stranger Calls get my vote. It's one of my top ten scariest movies of all time.

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I'm quite fond of both,the opening and closing of STRANGER are great.Still,I'm gonna go with the lesser known FRIGHT.It's a very creepy,at times disturbing picture,with a fine cast.I think it's more consistantly tense than STRANGER.

4. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I haven't seen Fright, yet. But, When A Stranger Calls, that movie was creepy. But the best part has to be when Carole Kane gets a call from the Police Station after they find where the calls are coming from, and tell her the calls are coming from the house, and to get out, then she opens the door, and Charles Durning's character is at the door.

5. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Dumb bitch didn't even try whistling!

I haven't seen Fright, but When A Stranger Calls is both somewhat frightening and quite unintentionally hilarious so I'm sure I'd vote for that as I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'll still refrain from voting though just in case.

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

The beginning and the end of When a Stranger Calls are among some of the most classic moments in horror history. The middle may have cost the film, but just for making a impact on the genre I have to give it to Stranger. Fright is good as well though.

7. badnewsbrown

badnewsbrown Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2006
  8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Fright was ok but my vote went to When A Stranger Calls.
    The opening remains a classic moment in cinema, just like the shower scene in Hitchcock's Psycho etc

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  9. rhett

rhett Administrator

A good pairing, for sure. Both have similar strengths and weaknesses, but WHEN A STRANGER is more iconic, and the killer is far more interesting and developed than the English bloke in FRIGHT. It's "Have you checked the children?" everyone remembers, not "How do you spell that word, 'psychotic'?" Susan George does have better legs than Carol Kane though. :D

10. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

when a stranger calls

11. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Fright.

12. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

The start of Stranger is one of the scariest things ever put on film. Still freaks me out to this day. That alone gets my vote.

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

When a Stranger Calls '79!

14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Fright, but I confess it's the Susan George factor that won out. She's so beautiful to ook at in Fright, sometimes I forget there's a film going on around her.

15. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

When a Stranger Calls is iconic, merely for ripping off Black Christmas and Halloween, but it bites. I'm surprised to see so much apologizing for the film. It's also a very anti-rehabilitation screed. The kind that doesn't present any real commentary on the world and just makes everything annoying and shrill and pretends the killer tried real hard but [insert Godfather Trilogy quote here].

Fright might not be much on its own but that opening credits sequence will always be one of the spookiest things in cinema history. Good luck not having your bones chilled for at least 90 seconds.

Fright is clearly superior on every level except maybe acting.

16. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

When A Stranger Calls