Fulci & The Beyond

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by The Joker, Oct 15, 2003.

1. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I guess it's ok to spill the beans now, huh? Since I love surrealism, I knew all about Antonin Artaud and I always look at Fulci's films as well as David Lynch's films through the eyes of surrealism, it's the only way they make perfect sense. But, in order to understand it all you must read their bible, Sigmund Freud's The Interpretation of Dreams. So buy that book, read it and study it, then re-watch all these movies again, and you will see things and understand in ways you never saw and understood before.

Some helpful links :

http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Freud/Dreams/
    http://www.bway.net/~monique/history.htm
    http://www.antoninartaud.org

2. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

Thanks for the links ... interesting stuff for sure. The only time I have ever heard or read anything about Antonin Artaud was in that Fulci booklet on THE BEYOND but I agree it might be interesting to learn more.

Some of the comments they make about him, especially the quote, "... believed that theatre should be "like a Medieval plague", making stronger those it did not kill."

Sounds like comments I've heard Alexandro Jodorowsky make about theatre and cinema.

Good stuff :)

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

3. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Thanks for the great transcript FZF. I've never looked that deep into any movie but it was fun reading for sure.

4. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Yeah, great info Fulci! Thanks for taking the time to post that up for us.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Very good stuff, but I do think that they're reading a little too much into The Beyond. Comparing the laughable spider attack with Old Testament plagues is quite a reach...

Fulci just has a tendency to wander at times, and it's evident in The Beyond. Not to mention, he was cranking out films at a VERY rapid rate at that time, and I find it somewhat hard to believe that all the wanderings of The Beyond were part of some master plan. It always looked to me like Fulci had some great ideas kicking around in the back of his head, and used a little questionable logic to link those ideas together. The Beyond is like a "rough draft" of a script...a little fine tuning would make it a little better (though paradoxically, non-Fulci at the same time...)

Still, The Beyond IS a really good film, required viewing. I just find it a little overrated, and not nearly his best work.

6. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Nope, that is just not true, since he was talking about that even before the film was made, he knew just what he was doing and took this approach to most of his films.

Not everyone is going to get it or is suppose to. If you were really well read is this sort of thing you would have figure it out without reading any review.

from an interview:

Did you conceive The Beyond as a sequel to City of the Living Dead?

No, my idea was to make an absolute film, with all the horrors of our world. It's a plotless film: a house, people, and dead men coming from The Beyond. There's no logic to it, just a succession of images. The Sea of Darkness, for instance, is an absolute world, an immobile world where every horizon is similar. I think each man chooses his own inner hell, corresponding to his hidden vices. So I am not afraid of Hell, since Hell is already in us. Curiously enough, I can't imagine a Paradise exists, though I am a Catholic - but perhaps God has left me? - yet I have often envisaged Hell, since we live in a society where only Hell can be perceived. Finally, I realize that Paradise is indescribable. Imagination is much stronger when it is pressed by the terrors of Hell.

And there is no way to exorcise this Hell of yours?

No way! I often tried to exorcise my personal Hell to no avail, so now I show it in my films. But, mind you, what is to me the most tragic thing in The House Near the Cemetery is not the people who die, but that little girl who opens for her young friend the gates to the world of the Dead, and saves him from normality (i.e., from the monster who killed the boy's parents), but also plunges him into the Beyond. In fact, those children do not actually die: they just live in another world in which adults have no power. Finally, the most frightening thing is that the house stays there and will receive other visitors.

Being a Catholic, don't you believe in Good and Evil?

This may seem strange, but I am happier than somebody like Bunuel who says he is looking for God. I have found Him in the others' misery, and my torment is greater than Bunuel's. For I have realized that God is a God of suffering. I envy atheists; they don't have all these difficulties.

It is true that all my films are terribly pessimistic. The main characters in The Beyond, for instance, become blind, as their sight has no raison d'ĂȘtre anymore in this lifeless world. But humor and tragedy always join, anyway. If they emphasize the tragic side of things, it may have a comical effect. Everything considered, having directed so many comedies when I started my film career turns out to be very useful for my true cinema, the cinema of the Fantastic.

Comparisons have been made between The House Near the Cemetery and Dario Argento's Inferno.

The themes are different, but I won't deny there are some connections between Argento and myself. Both films, intentionally, have no structure. We tried in Italy to make films based on pure themes, without a plot, and The Beyond, like Inferno, refuses conventions and traditional structures, while there are some threads in my other films: The House is about a monster, The Ripper is an Hitchcockian thriller, City of the Living Dead deals with Evil, Zombi 2 with death and the macabre. I like The Beyond very much because I think it was an interesting attempt.

People who blame The Beyond for its lack of story have not understood that it's a film of images, which must be received without any reflection. They say it is very difficult to interpret such a film, but it is very easy to interpret a film with threads: any idiot can understand Molinaro's La Cage aux Folles, or even Carpenter's Escape from New York, while The Beyond or Argento's Inferno are absolute films.

7. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

I think I have to watch it again soon.......:D

8. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

just in time for halloween :D

9. FulciZombieFan

Spaghetti Nightmares?

The Fulci interview that you quoted ... there are only excerpts of that in the THE BEYOND booklet I was talking about.

Is the version you quoted from SPAGHETTI NIGHTMARES or some other book?

I seem to recall reading that longer version once but can't remember where now and of course I moved a year ago and still have things packed up and that must include my copy of SPAGHETTI NIGHTMARES because I can't seem to find it (must still be in a cardboard box someplace).

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I just watched The Beyond again the other night, and the movie continues to grow on me. I liked a lot of the little things, like how the lynch mob in the opening scene shambles a lot like the zombies at the end.

BUT, the movie is still sloppy, plain and simple. Using this idea that "it's not supposed to make sense, it's a series of disturbing images" is a total cop-out. The script appears rushed, and bringing up my point earlier about the rapid nature of Fulci's work at this time, I think that's more the case instead of some intentional "randomness for effect".

I think another statement in FulciZombieFan's quotations that indicates this is the line about the use of sepia tone in the opening. That sequence was filmed IN COLOR, as anyone with the DVD will attest, and also note that the trailer uses scenes from that in color as well. It's 100% obvious that the sepia tone was added very late in post production (and by the way, I think it's a great effect), and was not intentional from the beginning, like the cinematographer claims.

The Beyond is really good, but I just don't think it's as deep as a lot of people want to think it is.

11. suspiria

suspiria Guest

maybe you're the stupid one? :)

Fulci is about shock, gore, exploitation and cinematography PLUS atmosphere.. he is a master of dread... if we were to focus on acting, character's actions and plot then most Euror Horror titles would get a -5 star rating...

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Where Paff and I disagree is that the feeling of randomness is pretty common in italian genre films. Taking The Beyond on it's own, it might look odd - but looking at horror films of the period coming out of italy, it's perfectly understandable. The zombies at the end were added at the last moment and were not part of the original script, for instance. They were added because the Producers thought Zombies sold. Now - that might seem random, and it sort of is - but it's beautiful too, in my eyes.

I also am one who believes that the film has a ton of depth, and some beautiful moments. Meeting the blind girl on the road is so great.

13. Latency

Latency Guest

I always watch Fulci films when I'm in the mood for a great soundtrack. Music is a powerful element in movies and most of Fulci's films have great scores. That's partly my reason for myself enjoying his films. The art direction and score compliment each other perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2003
  14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Much kudos to AB for doing a 5.1 track for The Beyond that doesn't sound fake and needless, and actually brings the music alive in a wonderful way. I own the soundtrack to this film, and it is indeed great. Frizzi is very underappreciated, I think.

15. Crystal Plumage

Vince Tempera aka Fabio Frizzi is an excellent musician/composer.
    He played in a band called "I Giganti" and also worked with Goblin.

By the way,I found the limited edition tin for 35 Euro,but I already have the regular Anchor Bay version.
    Can anyone tell me should I buy it anyway,and why?.
    I'm not a big Fulci fan (I only have a few of his movies)
    The movie+extras are the same no??

16. suspiria

suspiria Guest

not worth that amount of Euros...

17. Latency

Latency Guest

Agreed. That 5.1 mix is great. I really noticed it after watching AB's Zombie. I poped in The Beyond right after Zombie and said to myself "Holy Shit, my other 4 speakers work, and they work great!" :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2003
  18. Ravenheart

Ravenheart Guest

I just finished watching The Beyond and I have to admit that it was pretty damn good.The gore was incredible although I'm still not entirely sure why they have a warning on the front cover of the DVD.I didn't find it to be any gorier then any of his other movies.The musical score was great too and I could be wrong,but I was sure I thought I heard some of the music or similar music that was in Zombie.My favorite scene had to be the nail scene with Joe and Martha.I do agree with the characters being stupid.Especially the male lead.Why would he keep shooting the zombies in the chest when he saw they only when down when shot in the head LOL

19. FulciZombieFan

Well there is a funny story about that ...

The guy that David Warbeck shoots in the shoulder then the stomach then goes to shoot in the head BUT has run out of bullets ...

Fulci wanted Warbeck to shoot him point blank in the head. However Warbeck said NO you can't do that even with blanks the guy will get hurt.

According to the story Fulci was very upset at this (one version says Fulci and Warbeck almost got into a fist fight over it).

So the way it was filmed was a compromise. I think I recall Warbeck saying that one of the blanks ended up actually "hurting" that actor so he was of course relieved that he did NOT try to shoot him in the head.

As for the scene in the hospital with the "warlock" zombie ... it is very clear that Warbeck takes carefull aim at least the very last shot if not more than that. Yet he can't seem to hit him in the head. I always thought that he couldn't because of some sort of supernatural/paranormal "ability" of this zombie ... after all this is the painter guy zombie from the intro. It is as if he has some sort of aura about him that makes Warbeck keep missing him.

Other than these 2 instances he does pretty much do a good job at shooting the zombies in the head once he figures out that that is how you kill them.

20. Crystal Plumage

Ravenheart,I don't know which version you watched but If you have the AB then you should listen to the Warbeck/MacCall commentary.Very entertaining and informative and also a bit sad (Warbeck was already ill at the time).It clears up alot of things:bullet down the barrel,"No Entry" sign etc.