Fulci Trifecta

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Jun 21, 2004.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Blue Underground will be releasing a trio of Lucio Fulci classics on July 27th. First up is the eagerly awaited Zombie, which has been remastered from the original camera negative. Expect the transfer to far surpass the previous Anchor Bay disc. The film will also contain a remixed Dolby Digital 5.1 track, as well as 2.0 and mono tracks. All tracks will be in both English and Italian and will contain optional English subtitles. As far as extras however, Zombie is sparse, containing only a few small pieces of advertising material. A more extensive Zombie DVD has been proposed by Shriek Show, but who knows when that will ever be released. Retail will be $19.95.

The other two Fulci films due for release are Conquest and a re-pricing of Contraband. Conquest is a bizarre sword & sorcery/zombie hybrid, while Contraband is Fucli in gory crime thriller mode. Conquest, like Zombie, will only have promotional materials as supplements and will retail for $19.95. Contraband was already released by Blue Underground as a bare-bones disc last year, and will be reduced in price from $24.95 to $19.95.

Attached Files:

2. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I coulda swore Contraband was already a BU release. Wasn't it one of the first BU DVDs?

3. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Ummm Blue Underground released Contraband before not Anchor Bay. This rerelease is just a price drop I believe.

4. rhett

rhett Administrator

Thanks for the correction, the post has been updated.

5. Andrew

Andrew Guest

It'll just be a re-pricing of it through Ryko. Same disc, but it'll be cheaper with a $20 retail.

6. patmcgahern

patmcgahern Guest

is conquest any good? Was considering buying it, but went for that Blazing Saddles S.E. if it's any good I might get it after Who's the boss season 1

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, as a Fulci fan, I don't suggest anyone rush out and buy Contraband. Technically good. but the film is blah. Gore is poor. Just a tip ;)

8. patmcgahern

patmcgahern Guest

I have contraband and I think it's OK, but what's conquest like?

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Come now - okay - or good? ;)

10. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Rhett, you said "who knows when that will be released" in regards to SS's version of Zombie. But isn't it coming out the same day as BU's version?

11. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I opened up the new Fangoria magazine today at Blockbuster and there is a print ad which advertises Jul 27th as the official date, everything is a go, don't expect any delays. The ad also states there are over 4 hours of extra features on Shriek Show's DVD.

As for the Shriek Show disc, I'll definitely be buying this, one of the only Fulci films I like. Zombie, Four of the Apocolypse, and what I've seen of City of the Living Dead.

12. poorlogic

poorlogic Guest

13. Demon

Demon Don't Fuck With Dolly!

lol, I was thinking of getting Conquest until I saw that trailer, thanks for the heads up poorlogic!!

14. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

If you just love CHEESE and Bad Movies then you will LOVE Conquest!

If not, then stay far away ;)

15. rhett

rhett Administrator

Blue Underground updated me on the Zombie release. The audio will be remixed into a Dolby Digital 5.1 track...in Italian! 2.0 and mono tracks will also be included on the disc. English subtitles will of course be optional as wel.

What do you guys think about this? I know there is always a fine line on the debate between subtitles and dubs...so speak up!

16. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

I may be in the minority, but I prefer dubbed on these Euro Horror releases, to me it adds to the enjoyment factor. Having subs will never make me not buy a movie, I don't care about it, liking the dub is just a personal preference.

Ideally, all releases would just include both original language and dub to make everyone happy.

Anyhow, Poorlogic thanks for posting that Conquest trailer! I think it looks like it will be alot of fun. Can't wait to pick it up.

17. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

The new ZOMBIE in Italian only Language

I cannot believe that the new ZOMBIE will ONLY have Italian language with NO ENGLISH LANGUAGE option other than English subtitles.

This is SO sad.

Italian films of this type are often a mishmash of languages with usually at least SOME of the characters (such as the main characters) speaking English and dubbing their own voice.

In ZOMBIE for instance both both Ian McCulloch and Richard Johnson were speaking English and the English language audio is their real voices. I think that Tisa Farrow was also her own voice but I'm not sure.

So to me (and many fans of this movie I'm sure) this news is very sad. We will be getting a remastered picture but no English audio.

They could have included both English audio and Italian audio ... a dual layer DVD has more than enough room for this especially considering that ZOMBIE is not a long movie (just barely over 90 minutes if I recall).

This is a MAJOR FUCK UP !!!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

18. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I can not stand dubbing, subtitles is always best for non english films.

19. Bludgeon

Bludgeon Guest

On the official blue-underground site, on the ZOMBIE page under languages, it says english AND italian.

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Of course, DefJeff is correct - it ought to have both. As for dubbing, I really don't mind - IF - it's done right. Sadly, sometimes a dub ruins a film. Who has not gotten annoyed (or laughed at) the little boy in Fulci's House by the Cemetary at some point? Whoever dubbed that should have been left in the basement of the house. I'd watch it with subs to get around that catastrophe.

On the other hand, I always genuinly liked the dub for Zombie. So if it is not there, it will be severly missed, imo.

Lyle Horowitz: I just don't know how to read those ads from Shriek Show. It might just be a consequence of our strange langauge, but when I read their copy work, it is not at all clear to me that they're not including the film running time in that 4 hour figure. In other words, is it four hours of features - or two and a half hours plus a film?

Or maybe I've just been doing too much writing lately.