Full Moon Releases Slew Of Remastered Flicks!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Shawn Francis, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

[​IMG][​IMG]

Full Moon are releasing a Jess Franco Collection, all on DVD only, starting with the first release - Jack the Ripper - later this month.

http://fullmoonstreaming.com/Jess-Franco-Collection

Most likely these will be the same remasters used for the the Ascot Golden Goya Collection that were released on DVD and Blu-ray overseas in the last two years - but I doubt the hardcore version of Doriana Grey will be included here. And my guess is these likely will only contain the English dubs (except for Die Sklavinnen [Swedish Nympho Slaves]) which would be a negative... but who knows.

Also, if Ascot is where they are obtaining the new remasters from, they are also missing the following titles:

DOWNTOWN (a personal favourite of mine)
    ILSA THE MAD BUTCHER (aka Greta the Mad Butcher aka Ilsa/Wanda the Wicked Warden)
    GIRLS IN THE NIGHT TRAFFIC (Mädchen im Nachtverkehr)
    MONDO EROTICO (In 80 Betten um die Welt) - Hardcore
    WICKED WOMEN (another favourite)

I can't complain too much though, as I already own all the Goya Blu-rays so I won't be double-dipping, and this would be a good intro for those uninitiated into the many many many films of Jess Franco - even if DVD only. Only other negative though - these are only exclusively available from Full Moon Streaming directly or Amazon (US).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  3. Nailwraps

4. MorallySound

5. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I don't see the point of releasing all these Franco titles on DVD when 9 out of the 10 are already available on blu-ray.

7. MorallySound

Actually, all 10 are on Blu-ray from Ascot Elite. However, they are European releases, and despite being region-free, the North American market was still open and so Full Moon licensed them - presumably from Ascot themselves.

I agree it's kinda pointless but really only from the fact that most collector's will know of the international releases and the Blu-rays, but for the Joe Schmo U-S-of-A Full Moon fan they'd be the only ones who'd pick these up, or didn't realize the Blu-rays are indeed region free. Or for those who still haven't upgraded to Blu-ray.

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Just watched the trailer for the first time which was surprisingly good. I was expecting it to look a lot worse. If it's that tone throughout I can imagine it getting old real quick though.

9. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I just want Subspecies IV to be released on blu to go with the other three I have

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. Zombie Dude

Same here. I literally just finished watching part 3 on blu.

othervoice1 likes this.
  11. Nailwraps

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'm a big proponent of IV and V. An uptick in the series I felt, considering how deep in we're getting. Course it's a mystery to me how people can like III so much when it seems rather shoddy to me.

After that all we'll have left is VI and VII which there's a good chance I'd skip. Can't imagine watching them again even on my DVDs.

13. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Shoddy? I don't think so. For a DTV title PM3 is pretty well made. The acting is hit or miss but the movie delivers where it counts and is the best entry in the series.

Katatonia likes this.
  14. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I agree with MisterTwister. The best in the series and extremely well made considering this was a cheap made for video release. I mean, it is sort of shoddy, but they were pretty ambitious given what they had. The commentary is interesting as they go into what the sets were and such. The train station at the end of the flick was a warehouse or something (can't remember exactly), but it's always convinced me. And the acting is more or less top notch with smaller character actors given a chance to shine. Plus, it's got six-shooter.

I'll probably wait to pick up IV once V is out. It's basically one movie as I recall. Does anyone know why Full Moon does't do lossless audio? Now that's shoddy.

Katatonia likes this.
  15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

^^ Yeah, I really love PM3 also, and consider it one of the high points of the series.

I'll pick up IV on Blu-ray. I just wish they were releasing V at the same time, since the films were shot and released about the same time.

I don't know why they don't use lossless audio. It's just stupid really, it costs no more to do an uncompressed or lossless audio track. Troma are the same way.

I received the Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death Blu-ray and it only has standard Dolby 2.0 at 192kbps. They're basically still using 1997 DVD audio technology. The disc is only a little over 18gb, so there was plenty of space left. They upped the audio's bit-rates somewhat on the Vampire Journals Blu-ray, so now they-re going backwards in quality.

16. Zombie Dude

Puppet Master 1-5 are the only good ones to me so after 4&5 get released I'm done. I'll probably wait for 88Films to release them though as their Full Moon release tend to always be better than the ones straight from Full Moon (go figure).

17. Katatonia

I don't know if 88 Films are even going to release any more FM titles. They still have never announced Vampire Journals or anything else. It seems like after that Tourist Trap fiasco, things went very silent.

They might release more, I just wouldn't place any bets on it.

18. Zombie Dude

Doesn't Subspecies 4 need to be released before Vampire Journals? I figured they were just waiting for Full Moon to release the films first then follow after them with the same titles. I can't imagine them passing on the more popular Full Moon titles if they still hold the rights.

19. Katatonia

Full Moon already released Vampire Journals on Blu-ray themselves back in April, so it's already been out before Subspecies 4. They don't seem to follow any set pattern with their releases.

20. Zombie Dude

I had no idea Vampire Journals had been released on blu. There you go lol.
    Who knows then. I swore I saw 88Films post something about Puppet Master 4&5 many, many months ago on Facebook.